My Day Two Recap

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everything seemed amp'd up a volume from yesterday, if that's even possible. This crowd reminds me of the crowds I saw in England at the MC's over there. There are people here from all over the United States and overseas. This is one event where the amateurs and casual pool fans turn out in force. They are super supportive of Team USA and one player in particular - SHANE. In this arena he's a Rock Star! When he was introduced for the first match the crowd went wild, erupting for their hero. I don't think I've ever heard cheers like that for any pool player.

Unfortunately he was tasked with playing Europe's number one, Josh Filler, a gunslinger who takes no prisoners. To him, Shane is just another guy who's in his way. With the USA down 3-2 to start the day this match was key to setting the tone for the day. Shane won the lag and hit the balls with his patented power break. Balls were flying everywhere and one of them smacked the cue ball right into the side pocket. Ball in Hand for Filler, and that spells doom. Slam, bam, thank you ma'am and it's 1-0 Europe. A very confident looking Filler makes a clean break and has a shot on the one, which is all he needs. He makes it look so routine, ala Buddy Hall, with perfect position play. Quickly it's 2-0 Europe.

Shane has to push out on his break and Josh lets him shoot a tough cut on the one, which he can't convert. Josh takes advantage and puts Shane in jail, forcing him to go three long rails to hit the one. He somehow makes a good hit but leaves it in the clear. One more flawless run out by Filler and the score is 3-0 Europe. Filler breaks empty and Shane finally gets a look at something. He makes a beautiful run out, maneuvering the cue ball ball adroitly though traffic, until only the nine ball remains. It's a routine half table cut shot into the corner, a familiar ending shot for many 9-Ball racks. Except this one has a surprise ending. Shane hangs the nine! A crestfallen Shane slumps back to his seat, talking to himself. Filler bangs it in. 4-0 Europe.

Shane does manage to win the next game to stave off defeat momentarily. In the final game, Shane has a shot to get out but must make a thin cut along the rail on the three ball and it hangs in the corner. Damn, these tables are tough! That ball looked like it was going in after barely brushing the side rail, but no. Filler calmly steps to the table, looking relaxed and composed and disposes of the remaining balls with no difficulty. It's over 5-1! Joshua has trounced USA's best player and sent a loud message in this match. The overall team score is now 4-2 and prospects immediately look bad for Team USA today.

(Part One)

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Match number two is Doubles, Shane coming right back in a pairing with Justin Bergman. They face Filler (again!) and Jayson Shaw, maybe Europe's two best players. A scary prospect considering what we just witnessed.

They tie on the opening lag and must repeat it. Europe wins the lag and promptly hits USA with a break and run. With Filler and Shaw there is no wasted motion, just shoot and step back and get ready to shoot again. They both stay at the table until the rack is over. Team USA to break and you have to wonder how Shane will handle it after his debacle in the last match. He looks good and so does Berg and they cruise through the rack unscathed. It's 1-1.

The next game is a nip and tuck affair with good safeties and responses by both teams. This match is critical for Team USA and we all know it. They do not want to be down by three so early. Bergman is tested on the eight ball and makes a strong bank shot to set Shane up for a longish nine. No problem this time and the nine disappears for a 2-1 lead for USA. The next game also goes USA's way but not without a lot of effort. It's not a simple rack and they have to work for every ball. They now lead 3-1 and both Shane and Justin look comfortable at the table.

Filler makes a ball on the break and Shaw must go rail first to make the two. He misses it! Shane and Justin play a very deliberate game now, taking the maximum time allotted on each ball. It works to perfection and they take a 4-1 lead. Their break now and Bergman does his job, one ball down and a shot on the one. It's a tricky one though and Shane must go rail first around a ball to make it. He hits it perfectly and they make a good run to close out this match 5-1. They've beaten Europe's top guns and put some wind under their sails. Europe now leads only by one, 4-3.

(Part Two)

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess how these tables play after rail cloth get little bit worn..
It is not fun table to be with. They start giving bouncy hops and rattle balls so deep you can´t hit them rail first at all. Shelf is so deep. Good table when pristine conditions. After that they get awful.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It is not fun table to be with. They start giving bouncy hops and rattle balls so deep you can´t hit them rail first at all. Shelf is so deep. Good table when pristine conditions. After that they get awful.

I would agree. The transition of a table from new cloth to not so new is crazy. My Diamond table has 11 year old Simonis and it is tough, hit it good and there is no problem but if you are off even a little you will pay.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

You have played on the new OX table with Klematch P-59 Cushions? Not contesting what you are saying, just making sure you are talking about the new OX table specifically. The Victory 2+ also has been revamped recently.
Thanks for any and all info.

Trent

P.s what tables are you used to playing on?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Next up is Kaci vs. Styer. The good news from the last match is short lived as Kaci has his way with Tyler. He simply outplays him from start to finish and takes the match 5-1, with Tyler only showing some life in the one rack he ran. Europe is once again leading by two, 5-3.

Again Team USA is faced with a critical match to not allow Europe to get ahead by three. Skyler and Billy Thorpe are up against Niels and Kazakis. They are off to a good start, making a nice break and run in game one. In the second game they do not fare as well, with Skyler playing bad shape and forcing Billy to play a safe that isn't up to par. Niels locks them up with his safe and Sky must jump to hit the ball. He scratches and Europe runs the rack out. It's 1-1.

In the next game a safety battle ensues on the one ball until Skyler kicks and misses for a foul. The normally very consistent Niels misses on the three ball and leaves Skyler a bank, which he makes, and they complete the rack to lead 2-1. Kazakis breaks and with a ball down Niels pushes out and gets the shot back. He shoots a semi safety and ends up leaving a long cut shot on the one which Thorpe makes. USA does a nice job in running this rack as well to take a commanding 3-1 lead.

The next game has a little bit of everything, some good safety play and a spectacular long jump shot on the three by Niels. More safety play until Team USA gets a fortunate leave after Billy misses. When Skyler comes back to the table he lays down a lock 'em up safety that proves the difference in a hard fought game. USA leads 4-1. In the final game of the match Europe is on the table and looking good until Kazakis misses the four ball. Skyler steps up and fires in a long blood tester of a shot. That's the cruncher and USA follows with some good shot making to close the match out at 5-1. Thorpe is really fired up and exhorts the crowd to make noise before Skyler makes the clinching nine ball.

I don't think I've ever seen a USA team quite so animated. This Mosconi Cup is a blood bath! These aren't just ordinary pool players out there. These guys are warriors! Someone's going to live this week and someone's going to die. That's what it feels like. Probably the most heated MC competition I've ever seen. Europe remains in the lead 5-4.

(Part Three)

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The last match of the day features Shane vs. Kazakis. After a series of safeties in game one Kazakis makes a 2-9 combo to take the lead 1-0. In game two Kazakis misses a long six ball down the rail and Shane cleans up to tie 1-1. Game three features a good safety battle until Shane makes a long one ball and bumps the two out for a shot. He runs this rack expertly, looking like the champion player he is. 2-1 USA.

Shane unleashes a powerful break and run in game four to make it 3-1. Kazakis comes up empty on the break and Shane punishes him again. It's 4-1. One more Shane style break and run and it's all over. Shane pulverizes Kazakis 5-1 and this match is tied, five apiece!

The takeaway from today's action is that Team USA seems to have worked out their first day jitters and are firing on all cylinders. Only Tyler was sketchy at times. Meanwhile both Niels and Kazakis had serious issues today that need to be addressed by Team Europe. Still it is tied at five, so anything can and probably will happen. Tomorrow is a new day!

(Part Four)

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched the matches, but still enjoy the recaps.

Got the afternoon off tomorrow, getting 12+ inches of snow tonight - noting to do but watch pool and work on Thanksgiving recipes!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I've watched the matches, but still enjoy the recaps.

Got the afternoon off tomorrow, getting 12+ inches of snow tonight - noting to do but watch pool and work on Thanksgiving recipes!

I’m off early as well, I don’t know if I should go play or watch.

I’ve only caught bits and pieces of matches so these heroic recaps are awesome :clapping: thanks Jay H.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks Jay!

I watched both days. Your recaps are very good!!! Helluva good time. I bet it is very exciting actually being there.

What are your thoughts & observations on how thene Rasson OX table plays??
Thanks again.

Trent from Toledo

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Appreciate the play by play. I haven’t been able to watch this year and your recap is the next best thing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay!

I watched both days. Your recaps are very good!!! Helluva good time. I bet it is very exciting actually being there.

What are your thoughts & observations on how thene Rasson OX table plays??
Thanks again.

Trent from Toledo

You know Trent, unlike in years past I can't get near the table to examine it like I would if I was refing. I haven't heard anything negative from the players and they will definitely tell you if they don't like something. The negative comments I've heard have all been about the balls. The table appears to be rolling and banking true from my observations. It's still playing tough on day two with balls that touch the inside rail apt to hang. You must hit these pockets cleanly and they will accept the ball no matter how hard its hit.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You know Trent, unlike in years past I can't get near the table to examine it like I would if I was refing. I haven't heard anything negative from the players and they will definitely tell you if they don't like something. The negative comments I've heard have all been about the balls. The table appears to be rolling and banking true from my observations. It's still playing tough on day two with balls that touch the inside rail apt to hang. You must hit these pockets cleanly and they will accept the ball no matter how hard its hit.

I know you have been in the business for a long time. Your opinion is valuable to me and I appreciate your quick response. I look forward to reading your recap of the next 2 days of wild ass Mosconi Cup Pool!! :)

Trent from Toledo

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aah! I've been waiting to read this update all night. Couldn't wait to wake up and come to AzBilliards to find out what happened on Day 2. Excellent recap, Jay. Keep 'em coming. Us pool aficionados are loving it.

On FB, everybody is calling Joshua "Filler Up Josh." :D

I believe that Johan and JJ's coaching style has had a great impact on Team USA. They're tough and resilient.

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos on FB this morning. I hope the Da-Zoom live feed or whatever it's called is working okay for folks who took a chance to purchase it.

I'll be watching Scorsese's "The Irishman" tonight on Netfix, 3 1/2 hours and looking forward to waking up on Thanksgiving Day to read Jay's Recap of Day 3 at the Cup. :cool:

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Match number two is Doubles, Shane coming right back in a pairing with Justin Bergman. They face Filler (again!) and Jayson Shaw, maybe Europe's two best players. A scary prospect considering what we just witnessed.

They tie on the opening lag and must repeat it. Europe wins the lag and promptly hits USA with a break and run. With Filler and Shaw there is no wasted motion, just shoot and step back and get ready to shoot again. They both stay at the table until the rack is over. Team USA to break and you have to wonder how Shane will handle it after his debacle in the last match. He looks good and so does Berg and they cruise through the rack unscathed. It's 1-1.

The next game is a nip and tuck affair with good safeties and responses by both teams. This match is critical for Team USA and we all know it. They do not want to be down by three so early. Bergman is tested on the eight ball and makes a strong bank shot to set Shane up for a longish nine. No problem this time and the nine disappears for a 2-1 lead for USA. The next game also goes USA's way but not without a lot of effort. It's not a simple rack and they have to work for every ball. They now lead 3-1 and both Shane and Justin look comfortable at the table.

Filler makes a ball on the break and Shaw must go rail first to make the two. He misses it! Shane and Justin play a very deliberate game now, taking the maximum time allotted on each ball. It works to perfection and they take a 4-1 lead. Their break now and Bergman does his job, one ball down and a shot on the one. It's a tricky one though and Shane must go rail first around a ball to make it. He hits it perfectly and they make a good run to close out this match 5-1. They've beaten Europe's top guns and put some wind under their sails. Europe now leads only by one, 4-3.

(Part Two)

My observation here:
1. Filler made a mistake on a safety Shaw instructed him how to play. It was obvious he didn't believe much in the suggested solution. Lost the game on that.
2. Shaw made a mistake on a rail first shot he didn't believe in, thinking he could scratch of the 6. Filler convinced him he should go for it - he missed. Lost the game on that

Those two killers should listen to themselves, not be second guessed.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Next up is Kaci vs. Styer. The good news from the last match is short lived as Kaci has his way with Tyler. He simply outplays him from start to finish and takes the match 5-1, with Tyler only showing some life in the one rack he ran. Europe is once again leading by two, 5-3.

Again Team USA is faced with a critical match to not allow Europe to get ahead by three. Skyler and Billy Thorpe are up against Niels and Kazakis. They are off to a good start, making a nice break and run in game one. In the second game they do not fare as well, with Skyler playing bad shape and forcing Billy to play a safe that isn't up to par. Niels locks them up with his safe and Sky must jump to hit the ball. He scratches and Europe runs the rack out. It's 1-1.

In the next game a safety battle ensues on the one ball until Skyler kicks and misses for a foul. The normally very consistent Niels misses on the three ball and leaves Skyler a bank, which he makes, and they complete the rack to lead 2-1. Kazakis breaks and with a ball down Niels pushes out and gets the shot back. He shoots a semi safety and ends up leaving a long cut shot on the one which Thorpe makes. USA does a nice job in running this rack as well to take a commanding 3-1 lead.

The next game has a little bit of everything, some good safety play and a spectacular long jump shot on the three by Niels. More safety play until Team USA gets a fortunate leave after Billy misses. When Skyler comes back to the table he lays down a lock 'em up safety that proves the difference in a hard fought game. USA leads 4-1. In the final game of the match Europe is on the table and looking good until Kazakis misses the four ball. Skyler steps up and fires in a long blood tester of a shot. That's the cruncher and USA follows with some good shot making to close the match out at 5-1. Thorpe is really fired up and exhorts the crowd to make noise before Skyler makes the clinching nine ball.

I don't think I've ever seen a USA team quite so animated. This Mosconi Cup is a blood bath! These aren't just ordinary pool players out there. These guys are warriors! Someone's going to live this week and someone's going to die. That's what it feels like. Probably the most heated MC competition I've ever seen. Europe remains in the lead 5-4.

(Part Three)

Observation here: Twice Niels suggested something Alex didn't understand, and Alex ended up with two miserable safeties. In addition, I observed that Marcus gave an instruction about not picking up the cue ball until it had completely stopped after making the 9ball, Alex had a hard time understanding what he said. I think Alex' inferior understanding of the english language cost them in this match

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Jay’s recaps have been outstanding, really capturing the energy and twists of each match.

I ask that everyone who can, please take a moment for green reps to Jay for his fine work.
I cannot, as I need to spread some around first.

Thanks, Jay.
I look forward to your recaps tomorrow!

Will Prout

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Observation here: Twice Niels suggested something Alex didn't understand, and Alex ended up with two miserable safeties. In addition, I observed that Marcus gave an instruction about not picking up the cue ball until it had completely stopped after making the 9ball, Alex had a hard time understanding what he said. I think Alex' inferior understanding of the english language cost them in this match

I agree with you. Kazakis was shaking his head in bewilderment during the latter stages of the match. Filler and Shaw weren't always on the same page either. Good observations here. Team Europe does not appear quite as cohesive as in years past. Still they have so much raw talent they are dangerous. 5-5 and its still anybodys game to win or lose. Momentum USA heading into todays play.

Last edited: