Best Year a Professional ever had?

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching the YouTube videos of the 80's and 90's, and it was mentioned that in 1989, Nick Varner won the US Open and World Championship, plus won 11 of the 22 events he entered. Has anyone had a year to compare with that? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Harold Worst had a pretty good year in 65...while being severely ill and 70 to 80 pounds underweight, Worst still managed to retain the world three-cushion billiards title in Belgium, win two major American all-round pocket billiards tournaments, and even to win an English snooker tournament.

No knock on Nick, but Harold was on another level.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
That (Varner '89) was more then likely the best one.

Efren had really good results in 1996, 2005 and 2006 and defenitely won more prizemoney in the last two but not as dominant as Varner was that year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efren_Reyes

With all due respect, the prize money is irrelevant. Pool has seen its ups and downs in prize money, mostly down.

To the original question, Nick could very well have had the best year. I also agree Efren had some good showings too. I would give the best performance to Nick and best career to Efren.

I would like to know who has had the hottest hand in a tournament or a set as well. It would be interesting to see who has performed under the toughest positions and executed the best. A lot of metrics to compare, but it would be a fun exercise.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's a close call between Nick Varner's superhuman 1989 campaign and Mika Immonen's 2009 campaign. In 2009, Mika won the US Open 9-ball, the World 10-ball , the Challenge of Champions, and then some.

Probably have to give the nod to Nick here.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been watching the YouTube videos of the 80's and 90's, and it was mentioned that in 1989, Nick Varner won the US Open and World Championship, plus won 11 of the 22 events he entered. Has anyone had a year to compare with that? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Simply the most dominant year that I know of in my lifetime.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
With all due respect, the prize money is irrelevant. Pool has seen its ups and downs in prize money, mostly down.

To the original question, Nick could very well have had the best year. I also agree Efren had some good showings too. I would give the best performance to Nick and best career to Efren.

I would like to know who has had the hottest hand in a tournament or a set as well. It would be interesting to see who has performed under the toughest positions and executed the best. A lot of metrics to compare, but it would be a fun exercise.

I'd like to know, too...my bet would be Earl Strickland in the 1990-1992 time frame...there was a tournament (either Sands or U.S. Open) on video where they showed his record through to the finals where he only lost about 3 games through all the sets. He put big packs on everyone back then. Winner break format made for lots of white washes...

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Tadd?

Mark Tadd won the 9 Ball, Banks and got second in One Pocket, he could have been one of the greats, he was truly something to see back then.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I want to say Johnny Archer won 177k in 1996,which was the biggest year ever money-wise up until the IPT fiasco.

The funny thing is,even before the Tiger Woods phenomena that came a year later,the 135th ranked golfer,a guy that never won a PGA tournament in his life and barely held on to his PGA Tour card,made 350k in prize winnings that year.

Guys that have barely qualified for their PGA card make that in endorsements now. Tommy D.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching the YouTube videos of the 80's and 90's, and it was mentioned that in 1989, Nick Varner . . . won 11 of the 22 events he entered
The ratio "11 of the 22 events" you've cited was heard incorrectly. Even more incredibly percentage-wise -- the commentator correctly and accurately said: -- Nick won 11 of the 12 events he entered in 1989.

No player in pool history ever approached that feat. Here are the wins the commentator was referring to:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 MPBA Brunswick World Championship
1989 Rak'em Up 9-Ball Classic
1989 Knoxville 9-Ball Open
1989 Governors Cup 9-Ball
1989 Glass City Open 9-Ball
1989 Sand Regent 9-Ball Open
1989 Golden 8-Ball Invitational
1989 Scranton Open 9-Ball
1989 Lexington All Star Open
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball

Arnaldo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The ratio "11 of the 22 events" you've cited was heard incorrectly. Even more incredibly percentage-wise -- the commentator correctly and accurately said: -- Nick won 11 of the 12 events he entered in 1989.

No player in pool history ever approached that feat. Here are the wins the commentator was referring to:
1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball

Arnaldo

Less than a year later, he beat Efren in the Philippines 60-47...was never asked for a rematch.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vaner, Hall, Sigel, Strickland, Mizerak, Rempe, Reid, Archer, Hopkins, Dallas West

1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball

Arnaldo

I wondered where the 22 total tournaments came from, I remember him winning almost every tournament he played that year.

Nick was super dedicated and always one of the toughest players I ever played. He simply made you earn every game and there was no comfortable lead, he could win 10 straight games at any time.

Vaner, Hall, Sigel, Strickland, Mizerak, Rempe, Reid, Archer, Hopkins, Dallas West, and St Louie Louie were all extremely tough to beat back in the 80s.....they seemed more intimidating than players today, played about the same speed, just without all the racking and breaking tricks and techniques.....equipment was tougher in the 80s too.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball

Arnaldo

No, not 11 of 12 for Varner. Here's a post I made last week in another thread:

Varner won over $100K in 1989 I believe. That year he basically won everything he entered.

Certainly an historic performance for Varner in 1989, but he didn't win everything. His website says "He won everything in sight including 11 Pro Tour events out of 22." Billiards Digest shows him wining 8 out of the 18 major Men's Professional Billiard Association events that year plus 3 more wins in satellite 9-Ball events. He also entered some bar-table 8-Ball and 9-Ball events, but no wins are shown for those.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to say Johnny Archer won 177k in 1996,which was the biggest year ever money-wise up until the IPT fiasco.

The funny thing is,even before the Tiger Woods phenomena that came a year later,the 135th ranked golfer,a guy that never won a PGA tournament in his life and barely held on to his PGA Tour card,made 350k in prize winnings that year.

Guys that have barely qualified for their PGA card make that in endorsements now. Tommy D.

I also remember watching a tournament during that time frame and the prize money was 20,000 for first, at the same time I was watching a bowling tournament and 32nd place paid more than 20 grand. A couple of years ago I watched a corn hole tournament that paid 30 grand to the winner. Somebody shoot me.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wade Crane AKA Billy Johnson had a pretty good 1985 but not up there with NIck's 89

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wade Crane AKA Billy Johnson had a pretty good 1985 but not up there with NIck's 89

Yes, back then the two players having the best nine ball breaks were probably Wade Crane and David Howard. Sure seems a long time ago.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harold Worst had a pretty good year in 65...while being severely ill and 70 to 80 pounds underweight, Worst still managed to retain the world three-cushion billiards title in Belgium, win two major American all-round pocket billiards tournaments, and even to win an English snooker tournament.

No knock on Nick, but Harold was on another level.

Worst was the best.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, back then the two players having the best nine ball breaks were probably Wade Crane and David Howard. Sure seems a long time ago.
It was widely known in those days that David himself always attributed 100% of the uncanny explosive power of his breaks to his many years of martial arts training.

Arnaldo

62Stratus

Registered
I had some free time so I researched both Billiards Digest and Pool and Billiard to document Nick's 1989 season. He had an excellent finish to the 1988 season too.

Attachments

• Nick Varner 1989 copy.doc
    26 KB · Views: 105

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It was widely known in those days that David himself always attributed 100% of the uncanny explosive power of his breaks to his many years of martial arts training.

Arnaldo

Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for sharing it.