Gilbert Jump /Break... opinions please

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thought I'd share some pictures of a jump/break cue I received recently from Andy and ask for some opinions on a small issue with the cue.

The cue turned out really nice. I like the grain in the ebony and it's a nice piece of bloodwood but the ring work was supposed to be bloodwood, like the forearm and butt ring.
While I'd really rather have it with bloodwood rings, I'd like other opinions as well. Maybe it looks better with the maple rings?
The last picture is a quick mock up I made to demonstrate the difference.

What do you guys think?

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of like it the way it is, but that's just me.

If you were expecting something different, I could understand why you wouldn't be completely happy. It's quite nice.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks fine

It looks great. Leave it alone. I have a tulipwood one that plays great, trade you. Lol. One of the best utility cues out there.

somms69

escape artist
Silver Member
I think it needs the contrast, I like it. How did you get in touch with Andy to do the work? I only get Vikki on the answering machine and no return calls. Thanks.

Todd

albu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the contrast,and think this way is better.... :thumbup:

sharpq

What's a "Taper Roll" ???
Silver Member
The rings would disappear if bloodwood. I think the "mistake" was a good thing! :)

Nice cue!

Todd

EDIT: Bring it to the show in Chicago, it'll sell in minutes for nice profit!! :)

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I much prefer the cue with the rings you have on the cue rather than blood wood rings. The contrast is good.

Will

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
The maple rings look much better than the bloodwood. I know of a deceased cuemaker who made cues exactly as the customer requested, regardless of what wood combinations were desired. As a result, he made some butt ugly cues every now and then. His cues played great, but I think some of the ugly cues hurt his reputation as a cuemaker. Andy may have used his "artistic license" on this one, and I think the cue is spectacular.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
omg that's the sickest gilbert J/B i've ever seen!!

I don't know about "the sickest" but it did turn out nice.

The maple rings look much better than the bloodwood. I know of a deceased cuemaker who made cues exactly as the customer requested, regardless of what wood combinations were desired. As a result, he made some butt ugly cues every now and then. His cues played great, but I think some of the ugly cues hurt his reputation as a cuemaker. Andy may have used his "artistic license" on this one, and I think the cue is spectacular.

I thought this too. It's just surprising he didn't mention it when we spoke.

I'm glad the consensus is it's better as is.
I was thinking of calling the Gilbert's to see if the finish could be taken off, the rings stained to be close, and refinished, but I thought "hell, it might not look as good with dark rings" so I figured I'd get some other opinions.

Thanks for the kind words and setting my mind at ease with the cue as is guys. :smile:

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL I will give you some cash and a like new Pechauer break cue in trade if it bothers you that much.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
I have always found Andy and Vicki Very easy to deal with . I agree with everyone else that I like it the way it is but if you want what you ordered I can understand that as well . Your solution is only a phone call away.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always found Andy and Vicki Very easy to deal with . I agree with everyone else that I like it the way it is but if you want what you ordered I can understand that as well . Your solution is only a phone call away.

Absolutely. Great people. And I agree the solution is only a phone call away. I just got to wondering if what I wanted is actually the right thing for this cue.