Can I brag, just a little? A new cue story.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally did it, I settled on what I hope will be my final cue for a long time. Length was always an issue with me, I have a very long reach so bridging a good 8-10" makes me grab the very butt of the cue way behind the balance point. So after my 6+ year hiatus from pool selling everything I had I bought a McDermott from a local vendor. I then I started using a 3" ebony extension made by 'newsheriffintwn' to make my cue a total of 61". This was it, this is the length I like.

But I wanted a LD shaft again and the G-Core I had isn't rated as such. So I did my research and decided I want a 31" shaft and a 30" butt. I looked but nobody had this specific setup for sale. I found a few Jacoby 30" and 31"shafts but I didn't act fast enough plus I wasn't sure I wanted a laminated shaft which seems to be the norm for a LD shaft. I really liked what I heard about the Meucci Pro and saw I could get a 31" collarless blank for $182/shipped. I contacted Schmelke (local Wisconsin made for me) and told David what I want with sample pics. He said no problem and gave me a rough quote. I ordered my shaft from Budget Billiards and had it shipped to Schmelke. The whole cue being made took about 7-8 weeks but well worth the wait.

All in all, the butt they made fitted with my own shaft was $191/shipped.

Played with it this weekend and have to say, Meucci has made a comeback here! All I ever heard was how they are "whippy". Well, not this shaft. I honestly have no comparison right now to tell you how LD it is, but it's night and day from my G-core and it hits like a champ.

With all that said, my McDermott still in mint condition is up for grabs.

HERE

So without further ado (if you made it this far). Here it is!

uO8bVuF.jpg

m6jMpE5.jpg

j3NXQN9.jpg

8ulN3mW.jpg

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
A fine looking cue:cool: I can tell just how it hits by looking at it, I have played a few Schmelkes in my day. Very classy!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good cue (like a good guitar) is ‘where you find it’. Fancy/heavily-inlaid/custom antique heretage cues soon lose their appeal if they don’t play as well as some new offerings. Sometimes, a bare-bones modern cue (like a cheap guitar) IS better.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW: My 25 yr. old basic model Predator (two shafts) both roll like they were recently turned one-piece off the latest high-tech CNC lathe! Curious re: how many can say that about their more fancy/pricey cues?
Nonetheless, the original selling point for me was.... I have never had to allow for more than a half-ball deflection, no matter how hard the hit, or how much english was applied, and the table-length deflection target always returns to zero.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW: My 25 yr. old basic model Predator (two shafts) both roll like they were recently turned one-piece off the latest high-tech CNC lathe! Curious re: how many can say that about their more fancy/pricey cues?
Nonetheless, the original selling point for me was.... I have never had to allow for more than a half-ball deflection, no matter how hard the hit, or how much english was applied, and the table-length deflection target always returns to zero.
Predator was making LD cues 25 years ago?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats

Good for you I like to hear players say positive things about their cues. When you like and feel comfortable with your cue it uplifts your game.
Best of Luck with it !

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you I like to hear players say positive things about their cues. When you like and feel comfortable with your cue it uplifts your game.
Best of Luck with it !
Thanks. Maybe I should show Schmelke this thread, get a discount on my next cue of I ever do have another one built.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator was making LD cues 25 years ago?

Yes. Got one of the first examples before they started laminating the shafts. Liked it so much I then bought their top-of-the-line/inlaid model with two (laminated) shafts. But, the lamination lines distracted me, and one shaft didn’t roll right, so I soon sold the fancy butt along with the bad shaft. Turned out, the other laminated shaft installed on my original/basic butt also rolled true & fit perfectly, so I keep it in my case as a backup.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the ring work. I hear mixed reviews about Schmelke but every cue I see on this forum looks amazing.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the ring work. I hear mixed reviews about Schmelke but every cue I see on this forum looks amazing.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
They are not high-end cues by any means but they are a good solid budget cue. And when all I needed was just a nice butt of a cue to be matched up with the shaft that I wanted, there was no other choice other than schmelke to build it for me. Not only that but I'm supporting the local Wisconsin business.