Using timeouts to cool down

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question for any pros who may still show up here ( I know many have given up).

Klenti’s meltdown yesterday got me thinking. What EXACTLY are they doing in those 5 minutes to cool down, forget, etc.?

I know I couldn’t reset that quickly. Any insights?

Thanks!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Klenti’s meltdown yesterday got me thinking. What EXACTLY are they doing in those 5 minutes to cool down, forget, etc.?

Thanks!
Would like to hear more about Kaci's recent meltdown. I assume it was at the current Eurotour event. Who was he playing and what happened? This young man has shown so much talent as well as composure / maturity for his age. Kind of a relief to hear that he is human.

Just checked and I see he lost 9-2 to Denis Grabe in the final 32 single elimination stage of the tournament. That has to be about the worst beating he's taken in a mach in a long time, and I'm curious exactly what happened, or did Grabe just play that well?

I heard a story that recently, Kaci absolutely went off on a fellow pro player whom he caught secretly applying silicone to the cue ball during a match.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eurotour....played poorly vs Grabe. At one point, slammed his new Revo into the table, and penalized a game! Lost the match...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see a strong reaction to that... enter I'd love to know who the player is too, that it's absolute BS and he should be made an example of, to other players who might consider doing the same. That is way out of line.
Would like to hear more about Kaci's recent meltdown. I assume it was at the current Eurotour event. Who was he playing and what happened? This young man has shown so much talent as well as composure / maturity for his age. Kind of a relief to hear that he is human.

Just checked and I see he lost 9-2 to Denis Grabe in the final 32 single elimination stage of the tournament. That has to be about the worst beating he's taken in a mach in a long time, and I'm curious exactly what happened, or did Grabe just play that well?

I heard a story that recently, Kaci absolutely went off on a Pinoy player whom he caught secretly applying silicone to the cue ball during a match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I heard a story that recently, Kaci absolutely went off on a Pinoy player whom he caught secretly applying silicone to the cue ball during a match.

I can see a strong reaction to that... enter I'd love to know who the player is too, that it's absolute BS and he should be made an example of, to other players who might consider doing the same. That is way out of line.
Grabe has a rep of being difficult.
The player who was using silicone without an agreement from Klenti should be disqualified.

I like how Klenti handles himself.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is easy to break down in a game
It is more difficult to realize it when you go on tilt

When you do recognize it,it is almost impossible to cure

I was playing a fella Thursday,everything he did was right,I got frustrated,started feeling desperate,lost my patience,easy shots looked hard

I hate to admit it but I gave up

I lost money,everyone in the pool room cheered
I blushed

I sulked
I went home
that was and is my best response to recovery

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
I'm not a pro, but I think it would depend greatly on how early / late in the match you take that break to try to stop the bleeding and turn the momentum. If it's against a player as good or better and it's late in the match and you are down considerably, taking your break to regroup is likely too late to help you. If it is early enough in the match, it could make a difference.

In the case of this match which was a race to 9 and he lost 9-2, if he took his break at like 8-2, 7-2, or 6-1, it is most likely too late. If it was 5-2 or 6-2 he might still have a chance to turn it around, but if possible, take it even earlier than that before you get multiple games in the hole.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do they do inthe break?

Deep breathing, positive visualization, cocaine, was hands, smoke dope, phone a friend, yell at the sky...

You name it...there's as many answers as personalities.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a pro, but I think it would depend greatly on how early / late in the match you take that break to try to stop the bleeding and turn the momentum. If it's against a player as good or better and it's late in the match and you are down considerably, taking your break to regroup is likely too late to help you. If it is early enough in the match, it could make a difference.

In the case of this match which was a race to 9 and he lost 9-2, if he took his break at like 8-2, 7-2, or 6-1, it is most likely too late. If it was 5-2 or 6-2 he might still have a chance to turn it around, but if possible, take it even earlier than that before you get multiple games in the hole.
think it was 5 or 6 to 2 at the time. He couldn’t recover.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a very reliable source I heard this from, however, to my knowledge, the accused player was not warned or DQ'd by the TD when it happened, otherwise you would have already heard about it, so I'm not comfortable sharing a name based on an unproven accusation. And to clarify, it was not at a Eurotour event, but at a tournament here in the states earlier this year.

After Kaci very firmly (to put it mildly) confronted him, it was not an issue after that point in the match. It reveals to me that that player didn't think he was good enough to beat Kaci without having to resort to such a sleazy tactic.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
What do they do inthe break?

Deep breathing, positive visualization, cocaine, was hands, smoke dope, phone a friend, yell at the sky...

You name it...there's as many answers as personalities.

I could be wrong...but I'd bet they take a piss.

Maniac

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never heard of applying silicone to a cue ball before? Is this common, and why.
Very common to use a clear lubricating substance like silicone / WD40 on a cue ball among trick shots shooters like Venom. It makes the cue ball do some amazing things. It would give a player a huge advantage in a match if he did it, as from experience he would know how to compensate for it when he is shooting, but his unsuspecting opponent would not.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never heard of applying silicone to a cue ball before? Is this common, and why.

In a given day, as balls get more play on them they play differently...until they are polished again. Players adjust to this...maybe subconsciously, I think intentionally...and putting polish on the cb changes the way it plays, immediately.

And silicone is so thin, it is quick and sneaky.

This offense was premeditated. Guy is lucky he didn't get barred immediately or punched by the squad.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they should be called "bathroom breaks", and they should be used exclusively for what the name implies...

Sit in the chair and sort yourself out, or sit in the chair and take your medicine.