How many of you own a sneaky pete?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And how many of you go out and use that sneaky Pete to try and hide your speed and bet on games?

I always thought when I bought my first decent cue years ago that when I get really good, I'll do just that. Get me a sneaky Pete and go take some money. While my game has been sharper, I'm still playing a decent game and it's getting better, not to the point I was thinking of to buy a sneaky Pete.

I'm thinking of getting the Pro Shaft from Meucci. Shaft is $246, but I can get it w a sneaky Pete butt for about $330 or I can get one of the other cues that I like but has a nice conservative look that I like. Not sure which way to go.

I should just get on FB marketplace and buy a used Pro Shaft, not crazy about FB or their marketplace though.

So do you hustle with your sneaky Pete?

Every other player in most rooms are sporting way nicer looking cues than most any sneaky.

IMO, a sneaky is a sign of a better player. :wink: Most of the really good players that I have came across in strange rooms were sporting some sort of sneaky or merry widow........

The days of "hey, look at that cue, he must be a hustler"................are LOOONNNGGGG gone. :deadhorse:

Jeff

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Every other player in most rooms are sporting way nicer looking cues than most any sneaky.

IMO, a sneaky is a sign of a better player. :wink: Most of the really good players that I have came across in strange rooms were sporting some sort of sneaky or merry widow........

The days of "hey, look at that cue, he must be a hustler"................are LOOONNNGGGG gone. :deadhorse:

Jeff

Exactly. WHo is going to bet based on what cue someone has. Most decent players and shortstops buy a sneaky or PJ because it's their chance to get a quality cue at a lot better price.

I got an Omen sneaky. For $450, its great quality. Plus, the nicer cues are the ones always being stolen from pool rooms and tournaments. Very few folks come on here and say, 'someone stole my sneaky last week at the tourney". lol

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It's in the same category as the guys who have the fantasy that they are tricking a car dealer into a lower price by wearing ratty clothes.

Trust me, it's not fooling anyone and not sending the message you think it is.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
When I got into my adult years, I had an epiphany, I realized that everyone was not on my same level of thinking.

With that in mind, understand many of the people here are pool enthusiasts. They've spent time in pool halls, know many different games, the rules to the games, maybe follow the pros, etc. We are into pool more than the average Joe.

I went up to one of the better players in pool league who's been into pool for a long time. Built his own cue and case. Has a pool man cave that is awesome, fully restored table from early 1900s. I ask him about deflection and throw, he looked at me like I was talking Chinese. Didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Around here, I could be playing a sneaky and 80% of the players wouldn't know. Most pool players in the area know each other to some degree. So I'm not hiding anything around here anyways, not that I have a sweet game to hide anyway.

I bet I could ask 20 league players in the area what a merry widow is and at least half wouldn't know, probably more.

It's been a long time since pool was a thing here. The last pool hall closed bout 5 years ago. The good old days when a sneaky Pete was a sign of a player are long gone and the players of today have no idea what those days were like.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I got into my adult years, I had an epiphany, I realized that everyone was not on my same level of thinking.

With that in mind, understand many of the people here are pool enthusiasts. They've spent time in pool halls, know many different games, the rules to the games, maybe follow the pros, etc. We are into pool more than the average Joe.

I went up to one of the better players in pool league who's been into pool for a long time. Built his own cue and case. Has a pool man cave that is awesome, fully restored table from early 1900s. I ask him about deflection and throw, he looked at me like I was talking Chinese. Didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Around here, I could be playing a sneaky and 80% of the players wouldn't know. Most pool players in the area know each other to some degree. So I'm not hiding anything around here anyways, not that I have a sweet game to hide anyway.

I bet I could ask 20 league players in the area what a merry widow is and at least half wouldn't know, probably more.

It's been a long time since pool was a thing here. The last pool hall closed bout 5 years ago. The good old days when a sneaky Pete was a sign of a player are long gone and the players of today have no idea what those days were like.
And almost all sneaky's today are anything but. Fancy wood, ringwork etc. with prices to match. All my Schmelke has is black collars, 'bout 150bux. A lot of players today are fairly clueless(and couldn't care less) about cues, etc. Just us junkies on here. ;)

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always liked Sneaky Pete’s. I don’t hustle and gamble for small amounts when I do. I’ve been using a Josey Sneaky for over 2 years and it’s probably the best cue I’ve had. A few months ago I picked up a very nice Scruggs Sneaky having always wanting one. I used it last night playing on a Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
i have a monster sneaky. They're a good way to get into a high dollar makers cues on a budget. Never snuck up on anybody that's for sure. when i was coming up all the "hustlers" had Meuccis not sneaky petes

:cool: I have sneakies (full splice cues, some have a bit of embellishment in the form of plain rings and buttcaps) from a bunch of very good cue-makers (Tucker III, Travis-Blackcreek, PFD, Prather, etc.). It is a great way to get a moderately priced cue from a top cuemaker .... if you can convince them to make you one ... I have been fortunate and will be forever grateful that they have agreed to make me a cue.

I don't gamble, no need to even consider "hustling".

Dave

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently switched to a wrapless cue because I was having trouble with the fingertips on my grip hand getting rough due to the wrap but it isn't a true sneaky.

The term sneaky pete now can mean almost anything. I just saw a cue for sale with a wrap which was described as a sneaky. I knew a guy in St Louis with a $50 dollar Players true sneaky who played A level and flew somewhat under the radar.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Words evolve....and devolve.

Sneaky Pete’s are hardly ever sneaky any more.
I have a Joss sneaky which has become my carom cue....suits me more than my 55 inch
carom cue.

My sneaky has purple heart and ebony in the butt...it ain’t camo.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I have a couple, my favorite kind of cue. But unless you can find a old, dirty, plain joint, with a bit of a roll everyone knows it is a 2 piece cue.

And today, with bar leagues, a fancy looking sticker cue is a better choice to get games.

Personally, and I gamble often, it is easier to just play people that play close to the same speed that like to bet a bit. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but no one gets their panties in a wad.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I still have my Dufferin Hi-Run with an invisible joint. I rarely, if ever, use it though. I don't like how much different it is from my custom with the weight all in the back end, a whippy shaft, and dead hit. I can make balls with it but getting position where I want is more work than it's worth. Worst of all, if I leave it alone for more than 30 seconds I have to worry about someone picking it up because it's the cleanest and straightest house cue in the room.

My personal favorite I've seen here was a Budweiser look-a-like sneaky with an LD shaft. That looked like something you could use and enjoy without worrying about someone, "borrowing."

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I tend to prefer a full splice cue with nice woods. My main player is a sugar tree fancy sneaky I suppose. cocobolo and maple, with the micro rings at bottom and joint. Best hitting cue I have. I have some other customs I play with now and then, but the sugartree is my go to.

anyone who looks at it doesn't think much of it. I am probably one of 2 people in our hall who has heard of Eric. When someone tries it, they don't want to put it down though.

I do not really like to stand out, and when I played with my ebony and copper cohen I was often getting asked about it etc. it isn't about flying under the radar for gambling, and more about flying under the radar because I don't want to talk to people.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I have an old sneaky that I bought back in 89 while station in Florida. I believe it to be an old Rick Howard cue. I had it modified a little by adding a butt cap on matching joint collar with an unlabeled OB LD shaft. I own about a dozen somewhat expensive cues and I prefer this one as my backup as far as playability

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread reminded me of a story. About a dozen years ago I played in a league in the St Louis area. A local cuemaker named Terbrock played in that league.

One of my teammates used a custom sneaky Pete and forgot to take it home one night - alcohol probably a factor. He didn't realize until the next league night he didn't have the cue in his case. Went to the pool hall and to his relief he found his cue on the wall. Somebody thought it was a house cue.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned several sneaky Pete cues over the years. Still have two of them. I just have always liked them. I don't like cues that are very ornate. Prefer a very traditional look.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never owned one. I preferred house wood, typically a 17oz Valley Supreme, sometimes straight, but always with a decent looking tip. Fun times!

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't gamble anymore, at least not on pool tables, and when I did I never had a SP. But I used to see guys and play guys that had them. Never fooled me, but probably could fool your average bar player.

Earlier this year I bought my first SP, a Meucci purpleheart with a barbox pro shaft, just because I realized that in 33 years I'd never owned a sneaky pete. So mostly I got it to fill an empty hole in my quiver, so to speak.

I do like it; it was fairly inexpensive, it shoots fine, and it looks pretty good. Also it's easy to locate since it's purpleheart; I don't have to pick up and look at half a dozen sticks to find it.