looking to put a cork wrap on my schon

RD3P

Banned
any one here want to do it?

do you have to turn the handle down a little to install one? or do you just take the linen off and install cork?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

do you have to turn the handle down a little to install one? or do you just take the linen off and install cork?

If done correctly the wrap groove depth doesn't need to be changed. It is a little tricky getting the wrap to the proper height however with out damaging the finish if you've never done one before. There definitely is a trick to it. I like the feel of a cork wrap over all others, myself.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cork can be sanded down to the right height without having to cut the wrap groove deeper. Most natural cork is about 1/16" thick and you would never want to cut the groove that deep. The Speckled cork is about 1/32 thick and I would opt for cutting the groove a few thousandths of and inch deeper when installing it so you don't have to sand it down. But with the thicker all natural cork it needs to be sanded down unless someone has some that has been split to wrap groove size. The speckled cork will hold up better in the long run and not stain as eaily from dirt on your hands. Regular cork will take on the chalk dust a lot worse. I charge $110 to install either type. Plus shipping.

Last edited:

RD3P

Banned
thnx for the input guys.....i think id like a speckled cork grip.
ill be contacting one of you in a few weeks or so.

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

id have buddy do it, i know he just got an order of cork in for wraps he hsa done a bunch or work on my cues including wraps, he works all the major tourneys with joe blackburn, he works and does repairs for all the topplayers, infact he put the new leather wrap on mikas cue this year then he won the open, nice lucky wrap
here is his link www.DonnellyCustomCues.com

RD3P

Banned
OK i think im ready to send my cue to someone and have a cork wrap installed....

what is a reasonable turnaround time for this procedure??
also i asked if the handle needs to be turned down and got two differnt answers...this kindof turned me off.
to me, i feel like, there should only be one way to install a cork wrap, and that way is....the right way,,wich would be?????
anyone?? because i dont know, but i know if i send off my cue i want it done right....

thanks for your help again guys.

Last edited:

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
OK i think im ready to send my cue to someone and have a cork wrap installed....

also i asked if the handle needs to be turned down and got two differnt answers...this kindof turned me off.
to me, i feel like, there should only be one way to install a cork wrap, and that way is....the right way,,wich would be?????
anyone?? because i dont know, but i know if i send off my cue i want it done right....

CH's answer was pretty clear...i thought. Depends on what type of cork you want.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you got two different answers to your question as to a change in the depth of the wrap channel then it must have been in a PM. I, myself, never believe in making the depth greater than what is needed for Irish Linen.

Dick

RD3P

Banned
mr hightower said he might take some wood off in certain situations.....a few thousanths is no big deal really ......but if i ever decide to go back to Linen after getting cork installed i want it to look like its supposed to(wich would be stock.) thats my concern .....

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mr hightower said he might take some wood off in certain situations.....a few thousanths is no big deal really ......but if i ever decide to go back to Linen after getting cork installed i want it to look like its supposed to(wich would be stock.) thats my concern .....

IMHO - send it to Dick<rhncue> he has worked on many a Schon -
includig complete re-finish and re-wrap.

He can make the cork fit the groove and turns around fast.

Dale

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member

Since no one has come out and said it....I would love to put one on for you. I'll even do it right for no extra charge.:wink: I will not change the undercut. I cannot post a price but it will be a hair under $101.:rolleyes:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have high density cork/ rubber cue wrap blanks precision split to .022-.023 thickness. No sanding required for a professional installation. 2 colors available, cork in black neoprene and cork in natural (dark brown) neoprene. PM if any interest. I love the feel of cork wraps.

Martin

Since no one has come out and said it....I would love to put one on for you. I'll even do it right for no extra charge.:wink: I will not change the undercut. I cannot post a price but it will be a hair under $101.:rolleyes:

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member

Is hair like $99??? :grin-square: No I'm kidding!!!

I just looked at your wrap price and they are insanely good. I wanna sample one ... gotta go find a cue that will look good with cork wrap or stack leather wrap.

Hidy Ho aka Cheap Bastard