Richmond, VA pool scene

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will be traveling to Richmond next week, Mon - Wed, staying at the Westin I believe, maybe 10 minutes from Short Pump area. Will probably be back as well a few times later this year.

Any decent rooms nearby, weekly tourneys, etc.? Anyone want to try and meet up? Not sure what nights I'll have free yet, but should be able to make some time while there.

Scott

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,

The only decent room that's left is Diamonds over on the south side, about 35 minutes from the Westin.

I don't know what their tournament schedule is, but it's typically weekends. League nights are Sunday through Thursday I think.

Sharky's Bar and Billiards is in the Short Pump area but it's less about pool. I haven't been in there in years so I can't say what the tables are like. Oh, and Bailey's is not far from the Westin. I hear their tables are dreadful.

If I wasn't so busy with work, I'd try to meet up with you but I'm slammed.

Enjoy your visit to the Old Dominion!

Brian in VA

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Diamond's is an awesome room, great equipment. Well worth the drive from the Westin. Don't know about the tournament schedules, but I'm very sure you'd get action if you want it. I think Larry Kressel hangs out (works?) there...? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Diamond's is an awesome room, great equipment. Well worth the drive from the Westin. Don't know about the tournament schedules, but I'm very sure you'd get action if you want it. I think Larry Kressel hangs out (works?) there...? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct. Danny Mastermaker and Chris Bruner play out of there as well. So does Brandon Shuff, but he's currently not in the area.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richmond used to be a hotspot for pool and bill Stephens' rooms, the playing field and triple triangle were friggin awesome. Since his rooms closed, there has been a definite worsening of the scene there.

Side pocket was another good room, also closed,

Diamond billiards is the only game in town afaik. A fine room with owners tha are actuall into pool,

Richmond was known for a long time as the end of the southbound hustling tour for more tha a few that stopped through on the way down.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for info guys.

Sad really. Very lucky here in Jacksonville, 3 or 4 really nice, decent rooms with tourneys and action and good equipment, plus another half dozen or so that I don't go into but are half way decent with 8' tables etc., and another few places I know of with decent bar equipment. Crazy when I travel to Dallas, Denver, Richmond, etc. and I hear there are like 1 or 2 choices at most, and sometimes those come with caveats...

I will check out Diamonds when I get a chance, and call Sharkey's just to see what type of equipment they have. Sounds like it could be more of a sports bar environment though.
Scott