Is it possible to keep my new 860 playing like new???

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table was in pieces last week having a new foot slate installed and also having proper pockets installed.

I took the opportunity to have my two year old 860 Blue/Green replaced with what I thought was a more classic and befitting color for a classic table; 860 Simonis Green.

I have a pretty good grasp on rolling resistance as it applies to my now increased ability to draw, stun ball movement, etc. It's like my game was instantly upped to a higher level after having the new cloth installed.

I don't wanna turn this into another "How do you clean your table?" thread, but I was just curious if it was possible to keep this great clean cloth playability or at least extend it?

* I play for c. one hour per day

* I always thoroughly wash my hands to try to reduce hand oils, food greases, etc. from getting transferred to the table

* I try not to over chalk, but I do chalk as part of every pre shot routine, and as most all of us, as I study the table layout, etc.

* Every ten racks of so I clean the cue ball with Aramith Restorer kept in a zip lock bag in the ball box

* Every two weeks I take the Centennials upstairs and thoroughly clean them with both the Aramith Restorer and Polish while I watch a little TV

* After ten racks or so, I manually brush the entire table from head to foot with your typical table brush

* Usually every two weeks I take my old Hoover cannister and vacuum everything from head to foot with a soft bristle "furniture attachment" so as to not put excessive suction on the slate seams, or inadvertently stretch the cloth

* To this regimen, I'm now starting to wipe off the cue ball every rack, if I can remember, with a dry microfiber cloth

* I have also just started using a cheapo nylon table cover to cover the table whenever I'm not playing. I just use a light cover since pets, sun or small children are not an issue

Can you add anything, or find any obvious faults or omissions in anything I'm doing to extend or keep this great playability of the new cloth, or is doing so like picking your nose with boxing gloves?

I understand that each hour the table is played on, it gets assaulted by a relentless attack of chalk dust cast off, and no matter how minor, a constant barrage of general household dust.

I use my table and play hard, but I try to clean and maintain my equipment just as hard. I'm not anal retentive about burn marks and a slight bit or cloth wear, since I consider it merely patina. It's just that this new cloth plays so lights out that I'm hoping it lasts forever. But alas, I don't think anything I can do will make that possible. Thoughts?

IMG_5996.jpg

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My suggestions.

ALWAYS keep it covered with a good cover when you are not using it.

Clean it ONLY with a damp (very little moisture) cloth. IMO, cleaners attract dust.

I had 860 on a new table and after 10 years it still looked new.

The dust in the air is constant. (Remember see a beam of sunshine and being able to see the dust in the air?)

I wish you the best of rolls, your table is beautiful.

Ken

Darkray

Registered
I found a few threads where guys here have added a dry microfiber towel to what you're already doing in lieu of spending $90 on the Simonis X-1. So I've been doing that too and it seems to work pretty well though I haven't been doing it long.

Vacuum then lightly brush the towel over the cloth with a back and forth or circular motion. If I'm not mistaken, the idea is to cause friction (without too much pressure) resulting in a static electric charge which should pick up a lot of the chalk dust that your vacuum doesn't. I use a yellow towel and you can see a lot of the blue come up.

Seems like some will also use a damp microfiber cloth but I'm not a big fan of using any water. The Simonis website does say it's ok to wipe it down every once in awhile that way though.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind $90 for the x-1to maintain an expensive table. If it worked, I'd buy one.

However, IF it's like spending $30 on a Kamui bridge head instead of a cheaper, and in my opinion better, six buck plastic antler head, I,d like some user thoughts before investing.

Anybody???

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the first several years that I had my table, I brushed it after every time I played, and I always covered it. I would also vacuum it about once a month. I played around 4-5 days a week at that time. When Scott Lee came over for a lesson, his fist comment was "oh, you don't play much Huh". My cloth still looked new even after 3 years. If you keep it clean and covered, it will go a long way.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My .02
  • Vacuum
  • Followed by wiping down with a well rung out Microfiber Cloth
  • Keep the balls as clean as you can. Maybe build a homemade polisher.

The more frequently you do this the longer your cloth will last. I tend to do all that after I finish playing for the day.

Good Shootin and nice table! :thumbup:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cloth still looked new even after 3 years. If you keep it clean and covered, it will go a long way.

Was his comment generated by the looks of the cloth, or in my situation much more importantly, the "new cloth playability?"

Some great input here, guys! :thumbup:

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Many people suggest wiping it down with a wet rag of some sort, but I would highly recommend against that....

Unless you live in a super dry area, the moisture from a really wrung out cloth will stay in the table and rails and make them play bad. I live in FL so something like this is a huge no-no, but there are many other regions with high humidity, etc.

Just do the rest (brush, vacuum, etc) and your table will look new for years.. I played every day and the cloth played basically new for about 3-4 years.

Make sure to use brushes meant for Simonis and a soft vacuum head. Part of the "new" cloth feel is the little, fine strands of cloth that stick up and vigorous brushing will remove those.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people suggest wiping it down with a wet rag of some sort, but I would highly recommend against that....

Unless you live in a super dry area, the moisture from a really wrung out cloth will stay in the table and rails and make them play bad. I live in FL so something like this is a huge no-no, but there are many other regions with high humidity, etc.

Just do the rest (brush, vacuum, etc) and your table will look new for years.. I played every day and the cloth played basically new for about 3-4 years.

Make sure to use brushes meant for Simonis and a soft vacuum head. Part of the "new" cloth feel is the little, fine strands of cloth that stick up and vigorous brushing will remove those.

I'm Intriged by the Simonis tool, but they show a back and forth gentle motion, followed by a head to foot motion. I thought one of the big mistakes was breaking the cloth fibers?

It would appear, however, to be super quick, so I could easily get into the habit of using it daily.

:shrug::shrug::shrug:For those of you who attend, or play in really high level matches, aside from new cloth, how do they prepare the cloth for the likes of say Earl or Efren?

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have the Simonis X and and also use a micro fiber cloth. Can' t say one is any better than the other. There's are different grades of micro fiber cloths and they do seem to eventually lose their micro fiber cleaning power.

I tried that chalk off cleaner. Don't waste your money. It stains the cloth.

I use a break cloth under the CB when breaking. Helps prevent cloth burns.

Don't break so hard that the CB skips or bounces as that breaks the fibers in the cloth and that results in the breaking track from the CB to the rack.

Don't jump balls as that also breaks the fibers and causes ball burn.

Wipe off a chalk trail after a rack.

Wipe of the table when you see it is getting chalked up.

Vacuum occassionally.

Wouldn't use a damp cloth as that doesn't do anything except it may create a paste with the chalk. You want the chalk to stay dry so the static in the cloth attracts it.

Don't chalk the cue over the table and hold the cue at a slight angle so when chalking the chalk falls to the ground instead of on the shaft, and hold your hand above the chalk when applying instead of cupping your hand underneath as many do.

I never cover my table as I always hit a few when passing by and my basement is fairly sterile. I don't have a coal bin or workshop there and our area isn't that dusty as we have paved roads and grass.

Don't throw the balls out on the table when racking.

You can do all of that and it may help but eventually it will lose that slide that new cloth has.

🎱

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table was in pieces last week having a new foot slate installed and also having proper pockets installed.

I took the opportunity to have my two year old 860 Blue/Green replaced with what I thought was a more classic and befitting color for a classic table; 860 Simonis Green.

I have a pretty good grasp on rolling resistance as it applies to my now increased ability to draw, stun ball movement, etc. It's like my game was instantly upped to a higher level after having the new cloth installed.

I don't wanna turn this into another "How do you clean your table?" thread, but I was just curious if it was possible to keep this great clean cloth playability or at least extend it?

* I play for c. one hour per day

* I always thoroughly wash my hands to try to reduce hand oils, food greases, etc. from getting transferred to the table

* I try not to over chalk, but I do chalk as part of every pre shot routine, and as most all of us, as I study the table layout, etc.

* Every ten racks of so I clean the cue ball with Aramith Restorer kept in a zip lock bag in the ball box

* Every two weeks I take the Centennials upstairs and thoroughly clean them with both the Aramith Restorer and Polish while I watch a little TV

* After ten racks or so, I manually brush the entire table from head to foot with your typical table brush

* Usually every two weeks I take my old Hoover cannister and vacuum everything from head to foot with a soft bristle "furniture attachment" so as to not put excessive suction on the slate seams, or inadvertently stretch the cloth

* To this regimen, I'm now starting to wipe off the cue ball every rack, if I can remember, with a dry microfiber cloth

* I have also just started using a cheapo nylon table cover to cover the table whenever I'm not playing. I just use a light cover since pets, sun or small children are not an issue

Can you add anything, or find any obvious faults or omissions in anything I'm doing to extend or keep this great playability of the new cloth, or is doing so like picking your nose with boxing gloves?

I understand that each hour the table is played on, it gets assaulted by a relentless attack of chalk dust cast off, and no matter how minor, a constant barrage of general household dust.

I use my table and play hard, but I try to clean and maintain my equipment just as hard. I'm not anal retentive about burn marks and a slight bit or cloth wear, since I consider it merely patina. It's just that this new cloth plays so lights out that I'm hoping it lasts forever. But alas, I don't think anything I can do will make that possible. Thoughts?

Sadly, no. As 860 wears, it slows down... a lot.

You have received many good tips on how to keep it looking new and shiny, but
the speed will decrease if you play on it much.

Dale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, no. As 860 wears, it slows down... a lot.

You have received many good tips on how to keep it looking new and shiny, but
the speed will decrease if you play on it much.

Dale

That's pretty much what I was driving at, Dale. Now, I can enjoy the table, keep it well maintained, and wait for the inevitable. Thanks for saving me the 80 bucks I was going to blow on the Simonis X-1... :wink:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
x-1

the x-1 is part of my routine and worth the money. It touches up the table by creating static electricity and makes a light clean up a breeze. The cost is nothing compared to a lost set of 9 ball

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's pretty much what I was driving at, Dale. Now, I can enjoy the table, keep it well maintained, and wait for the inevitable. Thanks for saving me the 80 bucks I was going to blow on the Simonis X-1... :wink:

I just had 860 cloth replaced after five years, and I played it a lot. Wore it out completely. But I figured if I could get the cue ball to move on worn out cloth, then what would my stroke be like on brand new stuff. I found out for sure, have to hold back to not over run position but if its nice to know I have the stroke of needed.

I'm just doing the once a week vacuum and wipe down and cover daily. Play it hard because it's going to get used, and support your local mechanic every two or three years by getting new cloth.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Most of the cleaning regimens have already been discussed. I'll just add to use a break cloth and get in the habit of racking by placing the triangle in the rack area and filling it up rather than filling it up against the foot rail then rolling the balls/rack into position.

When you are just practicing move your break spot all around to lessen the tendency to create "trails" from the one or two popular break positions to the head ball. Same thing if you are practicing stroke shots or hard draws - move them around to different areas of the table to prevent concentrated wear in one or two areas.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After further consideration, it may take years of typical home table play to get
a lot slower. And with a name like Bob 14.1 - if you play mostly straight pool, the
wear should be much less,

If you play straight pool the right way, you should be able to remove the cloth and
rotate it end for end, effectively doubling the life:).

Dale(ball spinner, cloth spinner)

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, but my cloth was worn and in terrible shape, when i got my table.....before assembly, I took all the rail fittings and the table cloth , and thru 'em right in the washer, Now let me explain my actions here, I wasn't ready for a 300 dollar investment on new 860, so If I were to just try something first and see whats what, then so be it. ( The old cloth was ready for the dumpster anyways) With this thinking in mind a hung dried the cloth, reassembled the table turned the cloth over, and now I brush it once after every time I play. Thats it.....Most bars replace there cloth when it gets really bad, the really good places every year or so. My cloth has been on it for a long time and plays very well.....although I must admit I am surprised it survived what I and the previous owner has done to it.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, but my cloth was worn and in terrible shape, when i got my table.....before assembly, I took all the rail fittings and the table cloth , and thru 'em right in the washer, Now let me explain my actions here, I wasn't ready for a 300 dollar investment on new 860, so If I were to just try something first and see whats what, then so be it. ( The old cloth was ready for the dumpster anyways) With this thinking in mind a hung dried the cloth, reassembled the table turned the cloth over, and now I brush it once after every time I play. Thats it.....Most bars replace there cloth when it gets really bad, the really good places every year or so. My cloth has been on it for a long time and plays very well.....although I must admit I am surprised it survived what I and the previous owner has done to it.

You realize that only one side is meant to be played on?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good ideas

I have 3 month old Simonis Tournament Blue 860 HR cloth and got some advice from "realkingcobra". I lightly vacuum the cloth, followed by a wipe down with Simonis with the Simonis XI pad. Then I put some woolite in the hottest water I can stand and use a micro fleece towel that I wring out and wipe the table down and it dries quickly. That was his advice and I added to it by lightly brushing one way with a camel hair brush after the cleaning. My cloth looked like new when I was done. I have a cover and should use it more. I'm hoping to get 5+ years out of my cloth at the current amount of use the table gets. Like magazines for a fire arm I view my table cloth as expendable, but still try to take care of it. I allow jump or any legal shots and don't use a break cloth. It will cost me 500 bucks to replace the cloth at the current price of having some one drive 150 miles from Anchorage to Kenai. You have a very nice looking table, congrats!