One Pocket Question

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching a match between Rodney Morris and Raphael Martinez. There were a number of times during the match when they just picked up a ball in the kitchen area and put it on the foot spot. In fact, I think if I remember right, at one time they picked up two balls and spotted them. These were not balls that were owed. I never heard an explanation from the announcer as to why they were doing this. I am sure that this must be some sort of variation to the game or rules that were agreed upon.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

CBuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching a match between Rodney Morris and Raphael Martinez. There were a number of times during the match when they just picked up a ball in the kitchen area and put it on the foot spot. In fact, I think if I remember right, at one time they picked up two balls and spotted them. These were not balls that were owed. I never heard an explanation from the announcer as to why they were doing this. I am sure that this must be some sort of variation to the game or rules that were agreed upon.

It's called the Grady rules after Grady Matthews. It is meant to speed up 1P tournaments & keep players from pushing all the balls up table.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Were all the balls in the kitchen and then on fouls a ball got spotted out of the kitchen down table on the foot spot? Was it the closest to the head rail?

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Nice call guys.
Grady also suggested you take and orange and a five-ball and set them side by side on the night stand, by the bed. When your current wife is able to tell the difference between the two, it's time to get a new wife.
Sage advice, indeed. :)

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket

It's similar to how Texas express 9 ball came about to speed up the game/add offense. Maximum of 4 balls can be above the headstring. Anytime a new ball goes up I believe it's the one closest to the end rail that gets moved downstairs. Speeds up the game but also brings a lot of strategy in because you have to remember that ball coming to the spot.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls in kitchen

If more than four balls are behind the line when there are no balls downtable, you put them on the spot. The ball(s) closest to the line are the balls that are moved.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the answers. I had never seen this done before in a match and I've been watching a lot of 1P because I am totally fascinated by the game. It seemed like the balls were picked up closest to the line if I remember right. Also a couple of times 2 balls were picked up and spotted.

Thanks again, you guys and girls are the best.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
YouTube match?

Was this a youtube match?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like these rules.

Grady also had some 9 ball rules that I liked that he used in tournaments he ran, called shot, 9 ball had to go last.

Not sure if even those rules would make me like watching and playing one pocket though LOL

martind2112

Registered
Nice call guys.
Grady also suggested you take and orange and a five-ball and set them side by side on the night stand, by the bed. When your current wife is able to tell the difference between the two, it's time to get a new wife.
Sage advice, indeed. :)

It's not exactly him. He tells of some well-known pool player's test for matrimony. But yeah, he has that on one of his videos.

Incidently, I have to admit, I don't get the joke. :frown: Could someone explain?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the one pocket website:

9.5 In the event of a scratch with the offending player having no balls to spot when all of the balls are located behind the head string, the ball nearest the head string may be spotted at the request of the incoming player. If two or more balls are equally close to the head string, the highest numbered ball would be spotted.

BCA One Pocket Rules

9.5 In the event of a scratch with the offending player having no balls to spot when all of the balls are located behind the head string, the ball nearest the head string may be spotted at the request of the incoming player. If two or more balls are equally close to the head string, the highest numbered ball would be spotted.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
From the one pocket website:

BCA One Pocket Rules

This is the most commonly practiced rule for sure.

The more than 4 rule is to keep the pace going.