Best cue that can be had for under $100....and GO

cmccall

Registered
So I've decided for the time being I'm going to buy a cheap playing cue, put a hard tip on it, and use it for a breaking cue. I'm hoping to buy a decent cue for around $60-$75 and put a Samsara tip on it because from everything I'm reading the tip is much more important than the actual cue. So my question is, what cues should I be considering for this? Any opinions on Valhalla 2 piece cues or McDermott Lucky cues?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
So I've decided for the time being I'm going to buy a cheap playing cue, put a hard tip on it, and use it for a breaking cue. I'm hoping to buy a decent cue for around $60-$75 and put a Samsara tip on it because from everything I'm reading the tip is much more important than the actual cue. So my question is, what cues should I be considering for this? Any opinions on Valhalla 2 piece cues or McDermott Lucky cues?

I'd forget about the Valhalla and Lucky cues.

IMO this is pretty much an unbeatable deal:
http://billiardwarehouse.com/cues/bwcues/bw_jump-break-cue.htm

It's 30 dollars over budget, but so worth it. You get two shafts (one with leather tip, one with phenolic) , great jump capability, really great. And it smashes the rack.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

It's 30 dollars over budget, but so worth it. You get two shafts (one with leather tip, one with phenolic) , great jump capability, really great. And it smashes the rack.
Players also makes decent options, both break and jump/break cues that come with hard or even phenolic tips in the ?80-120 range.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've been offered a few incredible deals in earlier posts from members here. Go for the McDermott Lucky from Seyberts Billiards for $47.50, add whatever tip you like, then play pool. Good luck!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Break cue/ Collarless

Sorry gents .
But I would never buy any wooden collarless pool cue …. and that goes double if the cue is use as a break cue .

Very very common for most collarless break cues to crack or split at the joint ..

Check the warranty on collarless cues , as far as I know most cue companies warranty on collarless cues if a short period of time if there is any warranty at all.

This goes for the highest priced collarless shafts too., they are prone to crack …….

Cheers

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before my Thor I used a J&J for a lot if years......actually kind of miss it! I'd recommend one to anybody looking for a budget jump/break cue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't buy a Lucky cue. Got one. Several defects, lacquer is crap. I thought it would make a decent cue for my guests. No, it did not. I should have bought a Players or a Dufferin or something. Or a cheap Meucci.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

I bought that cue 2 years ago when it was $99, two shafts one with a phenolic tip and one hard leather. Quick release joints with joint protectors, the cue has stayed very straight and jumps/breaks great. I think the ferrules are a solid 13mm so they are fat by today's standards.

Great cue and great value.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm with Straightpool on this selection. The Schmelke and J&J cues are a great deal for the money, but with two shafts you are ready to break and jump for $129.00 .. Winner winner chicken dinner !! - Looks cool too...

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are right, the tip is important on your breaker. Some years back I tried a break tip called the Sonic tip, by Mezz. I have better cue ball control with this break tip than any others I have used. So put that on your new breaker, if you would like to try it out, it was a difference maker for me. Not too hard, not too soft, just right to explode the rack and really grab the cue ball.

I always get a kick out of cue companies who say, "This breaker will transfer energy like no other." I say we all have way more power than we need in our stroke, it's all about controlling the rock, period.

Good luck.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought that cue 2 years ago when it was $99, two shafts one with a phenolic tip and one hard leather. Quick release joints with joint protectors, the cue has stayed very straight and jumps/breaks great. I think the ferrules are a solid 13mm so they are fat by today's standards.

Great cue and great value.

Same here. Hasn't warped in the heat/humidity of the Philippines either.

Twas a great deal for $99 and still good at $129

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players cue that cost about 98$ it had a uni-loc type joint but its not uniloc.

It takes 2 turns to lock. Great cue for the price. Still have it as its a collectable for me