CSI: US Open 8-Ball Brackets???

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an odd looking bracket.
A field of byes and people I've never heard of, peppered with world beaters.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What an odd looking bracket.
A field of byes and people I've never heard of, peppered with world beaters.

Standard double-elimination stuff.

They have 36 players. So they have to use a 64-player bracket (32 is too small). With 36 players, the number of byes in the first round is 64 - 36 = 28. So just 8 players (36 - 28) play in the first round (4 matches). The byes then carry through into the losers' side, yielding no matches in the losers' first round and 4 matches in the losers' second round. No more byes after that.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
32 players x 3 events instead of 36 players x 2 events

Standard double-elimination stuff.

They have 36 players. So they have to use a 64-player bracket (32 is too small). With 36 players, the number of byes in the first round is 64 - 36 = 28. So just 8 players (36 - 28) play in the first round (4 matches). The byes then carry through into the losers' side, yielding no matches in the losers' first round and 4 matches in the losers' second round. No more byes after that.

They should have just removed 4 dead money at bottom and refund their money. Consider it "euthanasia". That will be it nice 32 men field and strengthen field with elimination of 4 dead money.
Then they can add another event for 9 ball - they cannot call it US Open 9 ball cos they will get sued by Matchroom/Behrman family so they can call it "CSI Las Vegas 9 ball".
So instead of 3 days for each event, it will be 2 days each for 10 ball, 9 ball and 8 ball.
Means there will be 3 final days so they should get another 50% PPV revenue cos right now most revenue is from just 2 final days.
They can reduce winners cheque for each event to around $9K. I think last year for 8 ball they had about same number of players and winner $9K. They can still charge the 32 players for the 9 ball event around $500 each and use some of the extra PPV revenue as added money for the 9 ball event
If I am not mistaken 36 field is about 34 matches x2 events =68 matches
32 field for 3 events is 90 matches
Means just another 22 matches or just 30% more matches that can be easily managed. 3 events will still finish in 6 days like the 2 events now
Not that the viewership or audience will jump since it will be same small 32 field for all 3 events :(

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If I am not mistaken 36 field is about 34 matches x2 events =68 matches
32 field for 3 events is 90 matches
Means just another 22 matches or just 30% more matches that can be easily managed. 3 events will still finish in 6 days like the 2 events now
Not that the viewership or audience will jump since it will be same small 32 field for all 3 events :(

Double elimination with 36 players on a 64-player flowchart is 70 matches (71 if they play two matches in the finals). An easy way to think of it (rather than counting on a chart) is that either (1) 35 players will each lose twice and one player will go undefeated, so 35 x 2 = 70, or (2) 34 players will each lose twice and two players will each lose once, so (34 x 2) + 1 + 1 = 70.

The general formula for the number of matches in a standard double-elimination event with a full field is 2n-2, where n is the number of players. [Again, add 1 for a second match in the finals.]

So for a 32-player field, the number of matches is (32 x 2) - 2 = 62, and for 3 such events the total would be 186 matches.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Double elimination with 36 players on a 64-player flowchart is 70 matches (71 if they play two matches in the finals). An easy way to think of it (rather than counting on a chart) is that either (1) 35 players will each lose twice and one player will go undefeated, so 35 x 2 = 70, or (2) 34 players will each lose twice and two players will each lose once, so (34 x 2) + 1 + 1 = 70.

The general formula for the number of matches in a standard double-elimination event with a full field is 2n-2, where n is the number of players. [Again, add 1 for a second match in the finals.]

So for a 32-player field, the number of matches is (32 x 2) - 2 = 62, and for 3 such events the total would be 186 matches.

Good job. What I always tell prospective tournament directors who want to know how many matches need to be played on X number of tables in X number of days is: Multiply the number of players by two and then subtract two from the total. Bingo, you have your answer. I like the short answer best. They can understand that. The other side to this equation is how many rounds of play you will have. However many rounds you have on the Winner's side of the board you double that on the Loser's side, minus one. This works well with a full bracket (32, 64, 128 etc.) but gets a little more tricky with an uneven number of players. The good news is that depending on the number of tables you can save time by playing winner's and loser's side matches at the same time, almost all the way.

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member

We apologize for the oversight. The button on the webpage now links to both brackets. Thank you.

Webpage: www.playcsipool.com/2019-us-open-10-8-ball