Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page 7 Years Later, Christian Bakers Still Fighting $135K Fine Same-Sex Wedding Cake
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
7 Years Later, Christian Bakers Still Fighting $135K Fine Same-Sex Wedding Cake
Old
  (#1)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

7 Years Later, Christian Bakers Still Fighting $135K Fine Same-Sex Wedding Cake - 01-15-2020, 04:23 AM

7 Years Later, Christian Bakers Still Fighting to Reverse $135K Fine Over Same-Sex Wedding Cake

TYLER O'NEIL
JANUARY 14, 2020

Seven years after Christian bakers refused to craft a cake to celebrate a same-sex
wedding, the bakers are again in court, fighting to reverse a judgment that wiped out
their life savings and drove them out of business. The U.S. Supreme Court sent their
case back to the Oregon Court of Appeals (OCA) last year.

In January 2013, Christian bakers Aaron and Melissa Klein refused to bake a custom
wedding cake to celebrate a lesbian ceremony. Two years later, the Oregon Bureau
of Labor and Industries (BOLI) slapped a $135,000 fine on the Kleins, citing one of
the women who requested the cake saying she had felt "mentally raped" by the
refusal. The fine wiped out the Kleins' life savings and forced their bakery, Sweet
Cakes by Melissa, out of business. They appealed, but the OCA ruled against them
in 2017. The Oregon Supreme Court refused to hear the case, but the U.S. Supreme
Court reopened it last year.

In 2018, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Christian baker Jack Phillips, who
similarly refused to bake a cake to celebrate a same-sex wedding, even though he
gladly serves LGBT people in his shop.

In both cases, state agencies had ruled that the bakers discriminated against LGBT
people on the basis of sexual orientation. In Phillips' case, members of the Colorado
Civil Rights Commission had compared his traditional beliefs on marriage to
justifications of the Holocaust, even though Phillips' own father fought against the
Nazis in World War II.

In the case Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, the
Supreme Court ruled that the commission had displayed "clear and impermissible
hostility" to Phillips' religious beliefs, violating his First Amendment right to free
exercise of religion. The ruling did not tackle the thornier issue of whether or not
refusing to celebrate a same-sex wedding by providing artistic event services is a
matter of free speech, however.

The Court also sent the Kleins' case back to the lower court for another decision.

"The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) ordered the Kleins to pay
$135,000. The Court of Appeals is now considering whether or not to uphold BOLI's
order. If the court concludes that BOLI acted in a non-neutral way or acted with
hostility toward religion, then the court could reverse BOLI's order," Stephanie
Taub,First Liberty Institute's lead attorney for the Kleins case, told PJ Media on

Monday. "A decision can be released at any time, likely within the next few months."

The BOLI ruling against the Kleins was remarkable for many reasons. It not only took
the lesbian couple's claims of emotional damages at face value, but also assessed
the fine against Aaron and Melissa Klein's personal property, rather than against the
business.

Like Phillips, the Kleins gladly served LGBT people at their shop, selling them any
sort of baked goods they might desire. However, both Phillips and the Kleins would
not lend their artistic talents to celebrate a ceremony that conflicted with their
religious beliefs about marriage.

MORE

http://https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle...-wedding-cake/

I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
Richard Feynman,The Feynman Lectures on Physics
Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies, & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
Norman Davies, Europe: A History

“We’re America, B!tches,”

Old
  (#2)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 04:25 AM

It is hard getting justice when you are White Christian.

Someone should be essentially shot.

Old
  (#3)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 06:53 AM

This stupidity is still going on?

On the upside. Trump has seated about 190 new justices.

So actual justice may be rendered.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#4)
Pangit
Banned
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 08:35 AM

"7 years later" it seems like every "Christian Baker" I've ever seen of TV has meet his maker. Oral Roberts (my senile granmother's personal favorite), Jimmy Graham, Billy Swaggart, etc.

I'm. guessing the lot were god fearing GOPhers.

Wake up and smell the coffee America. White folks are even starting to go to Southern "Baptiste" Churches led by Preachers that look like this dude

Old
  (#5)
CuesRus1973
AzB Silver Member
CuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post

Pangit I think your makeup is running...

Keepin' the rubber side down...

Old
  (#6)
Pangit
Banned
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuesRus1973 View Post
Yeah, that's me crying because my 91 year old senile grandmother "donated" a big chunk of her money to Oral Roberts instead of Jim Baker.

I'm an atheist, we will all be worm food at the end of the day.

I don't give a ratz ass about silly assed Christians. But it's so FUNNY making fun of "christians" and their "values."

What does that Donald Trump "experiment" kool aid taste like my "Christian" friends? Are there any fake bone spurs in the pot? What about Vodka...comrade?

It's the "Christian Way" or the Hi-Way. Remember, it's kinder and gentler nation these days. If the Jews want Rail Service, No Problem. We aim to please.

Last edited by Pangit; 01-15-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-15-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuesRus1973 View Post
Try this:
This message is hidden because Pangit is on your ignore list.
It'll save you a good number of brain cells.

"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

“...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...”
Atlas Shrugged

Old
  (#8)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Life can get so messed up some times. Wouldn't it have been better if all the AIDS Scientists had worked on Global Warming and all The Global Warming scientists had worked on AIDS?

Old
  (#9)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
Yeah, that's me crying because my 91 year old senile grandmother "donated" a big chunk of her money to Oral Roberts instead of Jim Baker.

I'm an atheist, we will all be worm food at the end of the day.

I don't give a ratz ass about silly assed Christians. But it's so FUNNY making fun of "christians" and their "values."

What does that Donald Trump "experiment" kool aid taste like my "Christian" friends? Are there any fake bone spurs in the pot? What about Vodka...comrade?

It's the "Christian Way" or the Hi-Way. Remember, it's kinder and gentler nation these days. If the Jews want Rail Service, No Problem. We aim to please.
What’s wrong Pangit?

The family a little bitter about grandma giving her money to Oral Roberts, and now you’re scraping by living on a shithole island in the 3rd world.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#10)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

01-15-2020, 09:56 AM

So if I went to a bakery who would not make me a Cake to my specifications, I would go to another Backery that would. This is BULL***T, IMHO.

If I wanted to join some special Club, Country Club, and say they said NO JEWS, think I would find another Club, or Country Club were JEWS if I was Jewish were welcome.

I am sure if I was 18 y/o wanted to apply to some all BLACK UNIVERSITY my application would be rejected because I was not the right color.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#11)
TexasShooter
AzB Silver Member
TexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
So if I went to a bakery who would not make me a Cake to my specifications, I would go to another Backery that would. This is BULL***T, IMHO.

If I wanted to join some special Club, Country Club, and say they said NO JEWS, think I would find another Club, or Country Club were JEWS if I was Jewish were welcome.

I am sure if I was 18 y/o wanted to apply to some all BLACK UNIVERSITY my application would be rejected because I was not the right color.
If you were a Jew and walked into the only grocery store within 200 miles of your home and they said they wouldn’t serve you because you were a Jew, what would you do?
Say, “no problem”, and gas up for the trip to the next store? Oh wait, the only gas station within 200 miles also doesn’t serve Jews.

Old
  (#12)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShooter View Post
If you were a Jew and walked into the only grocery store within 200 miles of your home and they said they wouldn’t serve you because you were a Jew, what would you do?
Say, “no problem”, and gas up for the trip to the next store? Oh wait, the only gas station within 200 miles also doesn’t serve Jews.
That's a BS analogy.

The wedding cake people did not refuse service to these people. They said they would not decorate the cake.

So the 'couple' could have had their cake, and eaten it, too.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#13)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
That's a BS analogy.

The wedding cake people did not refuse service to these people. They said they would not decorate the cake.

It serves no purpose to engage in conversation with a lying Ring Leader.

Old
  (#14)
TexasShooter
AzB Silver Member
TexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond reputeTexasShooter has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
That's a BS analogy.

Then you agree it would have been wrong if they refused to serve them? They just don’t have to decorate their cake.

Old
  (#15)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

01-15-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShooter View Post

Well the question I would ask is how would they know you were Jewish? But I get your point.

Honestly the people who wanted the Cake lived in a place with many bakeries.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: