Played pool at a bowling alley. Never again. Questions?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I went over to a bowling alley and "killed two birds with one stone" I bowled then went and played pool. Hopefully I do not sound like a snob. These issues were not that big its just I was unprepared for them after only playing at a pool hall where everything is nice and neat.

They had 2 pool tables. Coin op bar box tables. There was no bridge that I could see. I might have had to ask for one. But I decided to not.

It was $1.50 a game. I did not know this so instead of playing 2 games I only played one. But when I went to put my dollar bill in the machine I could not get it to accept it. I had to go get quarters. Because the change machine was out of order.

The triangle was made of thin plastic with a lip. Does this kind of triangle still work well to rack balls? I have been told these can deform and such.

The balls were all scratched up. Does this effect play?

The table had white marks on it. Does this effect play?

The "biggest issue" I had was that the table was uneven. At least I believe it was. My balls majorly went to one side. But then again I am not that good. So it could have been me.

So since I possibly had an uneven table. Is this something that pool hustlers would do so that they would know how to shoot the balls and get an advantage verses the person who did not know about the table?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all your observations are likely accurate.

There is a wide disparity in the condition of tables. We all have to deal with it sooner or later.

As I always say: any pool is better than no pool.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
So I went over to a bowling alley and "killed two birds with one stone" I bowled then went and played pool. Hopefully I do not sound like a snob. These issues were not that big its just I was unprepared for them after only playing at a pool hall where everything is nice and neat.

They had 2 pool tables. Coin op bar box tables. There was no bridge that I could see. I might have had to ask for one. But I decided to not.

It was $1.50 a game. I did not know this so instead of playing 2 games I only played one. But when I went to put my dollar bill in the machine I could not get it to accept it. I had to go get quarters. Because the change machine was out of order.

The triangle was made of thin plastic with a lip. Does this kind of triangle still work well to rack balls? I have been told these can deform and such.

The "biggest issue" I had was that the table was uneven. At least I believe it was. My balls majorly went to one side. But then again I am not that good. So it could have been me.

So since I possibly had an uneven table. Is this something that pool hustlers would do so that they would know how to shoot the balls and get an advantage verses the person who did not know about the table?

If you did not like the experence do not return to support the venus that was not to your likeing. Bowling Centers who have their acts together do everything right from food, drinks, pool, bowling, etc.

Remember long ago I use to play pool at a bowling alley within walking distance to home. The pool room was clean, tables were kept up, balls clean, the were 4.5 X 9.0', the cost was per hour of table time in 15 minute increments.

They had act together.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you experienced is typical for most "bars" and "bar leagues". The main function of the place is to get drunk, and there is a table or two scattered about. The establishment doesn't know anything about pool, and doesn't care in the slightest about pool. The equipment will be horrible. Balls mismatched in size and weight, and scratched to hell. The cloth will be like carpet, and never level. There will usually be one cube of chalk left, if you are lucky. The cues will all have slip-on ferrule/tip combos because when the original tips fell off, the bar didn't know how to replace them.

This is the great divide between "pool players" and "bar bangers". Most pool players won't step foot in a place like that. They were all suckered into some traveling bar league once in their pool career, and swore never again.

If you want to be a pool player, you have to go to the real pool halls, where the focus is pool. If you want to get wasted, go to the bar and shoot a game of pool while drinking all night.

In-house leagues at a real pool hall are a big step up from traveling leagues that go play in places like you described. They are usually more of the serious players that happen to be regulars in the room, and of course the equipment is better because its in a real pool hall.

The balls are scratched because they are cheap plastic for the cheap equipment. The good balls at the pool hall are made of phenolic, which can go 30 years without looking like the bar room balls after only one year. Yes, the scratches affect play. The friction is different with all the scratches, which affects how long the spin stays on the ball, and how the balls interact with each other.

Another thing with "any" coin operated table (except Diamond), is the CB will never be matched with the OB's. It will either be larger, heavier, or have a piece of metal inside for a magnet to pull it when you scratch. All 3 of these scenarios make the reaction during impact of CB and OB different than if the balls were identical. Diamond coin-operated tables don't have this issue, because they use a laser beam to detect the white color of the CB, and separate it that way. That allows the CB to be identical in construction to the OB's.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you experienced is typical for most "bars" and "bar leagues". The main function of the place is to get drunk, and there is a table or two scattered about. The establishment doesn't know anything about pool, and doesn't care in the slightest about pool. The equipment will be horrible. Balls mismatched in size and weight, and scratched to hell. The cloth will be like carpet, and never level. There will usually be one cube of chalk left, if you are lucky. The cues will all have slip-on ferrule/tip combos because when the original tips fell off, the bar didn't know how to replace them.

This is the great divide between "pool players" and "bar bangers". Most pool players won't step foot in a place like that. They were all suckered into some traveling bar league once in their pool career, and swore never again.

If you want to be a pool player, you have to go to the real pool halls, where the focus is pool. If you want to get wasted, go to the bar and shoot a game of pool while drinking all night.

In-house leagues at a real pool hall are a big step up from traveling leagues that go play in places like you described. They are usually more of the serious players that happen to be regulars in the room, and of course the equipment is better because its in a real pool hall.

The balls are scratched because they are cheap plastic for the cheap equipment. The good balls at the pool hall are made of phenolic, which can go 30 years without looking like the bar room balls after only one year. Yes, the scratches affect play. The friction is different with all the scratches, which affects how long the spin stays on the ball, and how the balls interact with each other.

Another thing with "any" coin operated table (except Diamond), is the CB will never be matched with the OB's. It will either be larger, heavier, or have a piece of metal inside for a magnet to pull it when you scratch. All 3 of these scenarios make the reaction during impact of CB and OB different than if the balls were identical. Diamond coin-operated tables don't have this issue, because they use a laser beam to detect the white color of the CB, and separate it that way. That allows the CB to be identical in construction to the OB's.

Definitely will be asking about pool tables at the places the leagues play. Our one pool hall is to small for the leagues. They play at other places like american legion and bars etc.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
In the old days, Brunswick Corp was huge on bowling and billiards. I used to go to the bowling alley to get in stroke, so I wouldn't walk into the pool hall cold. There were rows and rows of Gold Crowns, centennial balls and no players. There were two bowlng alleys I practiced at regularly, Granada Hills, CA and Van Nuys. Then when I wanted a game I would go to the pool hall. Those Brunswick Recreation Centers have all but disappeared but they actually had good equipment.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a summer place that we go to, and one of the bars in town that I frequent in the evenings, has a pool table that, well lets just say is horrible, has never been vacuumed, some times has two to three sticks, and sometimes have tips on them. The balls, well lets just say they are well used. Quite honestly though, I am so glad for that table being there. The table costs 25 cents to play, and because of that, I accept it for what it is, you just cant take your game serious on it, and it gives me something to do there at times, for cheap. I look at it like an old beater truck or car, that is paid for long ago.You just have fun with it, and I have had a lot of fun on that terrible table. If it were much more than a quarter though, I would probably have to look for another bar, with a better table, hopefully that doesn't happen anytime soon, as I like it there, dirty table and all.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Instead of $1.50 per game, you can play a game of 9-ball and a game of 6-ball for the same $1.50. :thumbup2:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't like playing in bowling alleys, but there were not a whole lot of choices growing up. They do hold a soft spot for me cause when I was 8 or 9 years old in the 60's, my father, who I hear was once a big money player, but found religion would take me to play on Sunday afternoons, eight Gold Crowns. As the years rolled by the bowling alley closed and a new pool hall opened, yep the gold crowns from the bowling alley were there. Those gold crowns are still around today at another pool hall, looking good and covered in blue cloth. Weird that I can play on the same tables after all these years!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

You seem to be asking a lot...patronize a dive with two coin ops and expect a bridge...
...no bridge has gotta be the norm for bar boxes,

Bowling and billiards has had a long relationship in North America...and it’s often been
a good one....Dave and Buster’s has over 110 locations in the USA and Canada....
...if they have pool tables...they are a pleasure...expensive old looking retros....

E81CB99F-6B5F-488C-B937-26B896459C21.jpg

The Detroit Rec had 88 alleys and 103 snooker, carom, and pool tables...all the great names
played there...unfortunately..it closed in ‘63...opened near the turn of the last century.

77C141D8-3271-4280-AFBE-0AC0810D2A83.jpeg

The Tropicana in Inglewood CA had great playing conditions.

First time I saw Irving Crane play was at Olympic Bowl in Rochester NY...
...20 some Gold Crowns.

I’ve played in at least 30 bowling places where it was a pleasure to play pool in.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to be a pool player, learn how to quickly adapt to ALL tables and playing conditions. The player that can adjust the quickest will have a great advantage, regardless of conditions. Having an accurate and repeatable stroke is step 1 in this journey!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

If you want to be a pool player, you have to go to the real pool halls, where the focus is pool. .

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris...I'm sure you know this, but the proliferation of bowling centers with pool rooms was due to Brunswick financing the whole shebang, with very attractive terms! Sadly these days Brunswick doesn't have a quarter to spend on bowling or billiards. Billiards built the company, and they don't give a hoot about pool! :grin:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

In the old days, Brunswick Corp was huge on bowling and billiards. I used to go to the bowling alley to get in stroke, so I wouldn't walk into the pool hall cold. There were rows and rows of Gold Crowns, centennial balls and no players. There were two bowlng alleys I practiced at regularly, Granada Hills, CA and Van Nuys. Then when I wanted a game I would go to the pool hall. Those Brunswick Recreation Centers have all but disappeared but they actually had good equipment.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be asking a lot...patronize a dive with two coin ops and expect a bridge...
...no bridge has gotta be the norm for bar boxes,

Bowling and billiards has had a long relationship in North America...and it’s often been
a good one....Dave and Buster’s has over 110 locations in the USA and Canada....
...if they have pool tables...they are a pleasure...expensive old looking retros....

View attachment 547800

The Detroit Rec had 88 alleys and 103 snooker, carom, and pool tables...all the great names
played there...unfortunately..it closed in ‘63...opened near the turn of the last century.

View attachment 547801

The Tropicana in Inglewood CA had great playing conditions.

First time I saw Irving Crane play was at Olympic Bowl in Rochester NY...
...20 some Gold Crowns.

I’ve played in at least 30 bowling places where it was a pleasure to play pool in.

I am asking allot really? Wow Also the closest Dave and busters is eather in Nebraska or Minnesota

DarkPoseidon6

Registered

LOL - this is how I started out almost EXACTLY when I began playing

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a bowling alley not a pool hall. That sounds like average tables which is what I would expect. It’s kind of like a bar. Their main business is alcohol. Darts and pool are just something for the average person to do while they are drinking to keep them there longer.
Same with a bowling alley. There main business is bowling so I don’t expect them to have pristine equipment. On the hand I also wouldn’t expect it to be complete garbage either. No torn cloth and such. It sounds like they were average which is what I would expect.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
First 10 years or so of my pool playing was mostly in a bowling alley. The tables were very good, kind of slow cushions, which I like. The balls were actually Centennials, though I think the cueballs were mostly lighter replacements. Ran my first 50 on those tables, my first 5 racks. Later I came back and ran 100. Good memories. Kind of big pockets too. I learned to 1 rail bank from the short rail into the side, which was a signature shot for me. It was a tough shot, even on those tables, kind of flashy to end a rack with that:D Haven't played that shot in many years, it's just not possible on tiny side pockets or at least only possible from close to the opposite corner. I really miss those tables.

The white marks on the cloth have nothing to do with playability. It's burn marks from shooting down on the ball, not dirt. If the table is crooked, then it's not good. Just lag the ball from one end to the other, and you'll quickly find out if it's level or not. If it's just barely off level, you can work with that, but it really diminishes the quality of play.