Help with identifying pool ball set

B5TACKIN

Registered
I purchased this ball set from Goodwill for 5 dollars and I am curious if it is an Aramith set, if so, how old are they?

pOsbr2e

Thank You!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I purchased this ball set from Goodwill for 5 dollars and I am curious if it is an Aramith set, if so, how old are they?
Thank You!
Sometimes images are tricky for new members.... Here it is:

CropperCapture[569].jpg

Look like second-level Hyatts or Aramiths from the 1980s or earlier.

Good condition -- should play fine.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or do some of the numbers look different than the others? I.e. the 10 and 11 seem to have a thin font while the 6 and 9 seem to be bold?

EDIT: Lol, I was typing while you were posting.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hyatt Supremes or Brunswick Gold Crowns(made by Hyatt for Brunswick). And a nice looking set, at that. Phenolic resin. Strong ball.

Your set has the old style 8-ball. The were probably made in the 60s.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On another site, an individual said they seem like a mix and match set but I have no idea how they can come up with that from the picture.
The fonts of the numbers are slightly different. For example the lines on the 12 look much thicker than on the 11.

If the balls all weigh within a few grams of each other, I wouldn't worry about it.

B5TACKIN

Registered
The fonts of the numbers are slightly different. For example the lines on the 12 look much thicker than on the 11.

If the balls all weigh within a few grams of each other, I wouldn't worry about it.

I appreciate the information, looks like I got a lucky buy here :smile::smile:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another site, an individual said they seem like a mix and match set but I have no idea how they can come up with that from the picture.

Back then, balls were still basically made by hand. Font density varied accordingly. All of your balls originated in Albany, New York.

B5TACKIN

Registered
Hyatt Supremes or Brunswick Gold Crowns(made by Hyatt for Brunswick). And a nice looking set, at that. Phenolic resin. Strong ball.

Your set has the old style 8-ball. The were probably made in the 60s.

Each person that responds makes me not want to play with them as they sound super valuable :eek::eek::eek:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Each person that responds makes me not want to play with them as they sound super valuable :eek::eek::eek:

I think they have no collector value. Using them for a couple of years is not going to put any mileage on them compared to what they already have.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it more likely that they are aramith or brunswick gold?
I agree with Boxcar that they are probably Hyatts. That would make them neither Brunswick nor Aramith. Brunswick hasn't been involved with making balls since the change to phenolics and likely contracted out clay balls before then.

B5TACKIN

Registered
I agree with Boxcar that they are probably Hyatts. That would make them neither Brunswick nor Aramith. Brunswick hasn't been involved with making balls since the change to phenolics and likely contracted out clay balls before then.

The kind of look like the Hyatt Supreme Lifetimer set, which I believe was in the 80s

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ride 'em like a rented mule! They can take it. They are actually very, very good balls. Hyatt went out of business in 1985. Until then they had been the sole provider to Brunswick of the world renowned Centennial Ball. When Hyatt quit, Saluc became the approved vendor for the Brunswick Centennial Ball, and still has the contract today.

If you play those balls responsibly and keep them off the floor, they'll last forever.