The greatest pool story ever told, by AzBilliards

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an idea I have for a while, might be better in NPR?

The members of Az write a book collaboratively.

Everyone makes up a character or a few, they could be totally made up or refect you personally.

So let's say as an example, my character could be, John Salvatori, lifelong pool hustler trying to make a living hustling, a broken marriage, and a bad temper, and my best friend and road partner is" _____"(one of you could be that character, or I could do that dialog". I'd give more back story on my character of course.

We could talk about making a rough story, or just write as we go.
Maybe quote each other to make running dialog.

If money was made I think the majority should go to a pool tournament, prize money for breaking the 526 records, or something to grow pool in the US, along with a percentage going to improving AzBilliards. But I'd be open to anything, figure the contributors could take a vote?

I doubt we'd finish a page so, probably will never have to worry about that anyways.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a chilly night in New York, John had been at Amsterdam billiards the last few nights looking for action, and the whale he was waiting for just walked through the door, "Hey Tom, I heard you like to play one pocket, want to play a few games" "who the hell are you?" Tom shouts back...

So someone could quote me and jump in, or start their own dialog and we tie it in together later.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a chilly night in New York, John had been at Amsterdam billiards the last few nights looking for action, and the whale he was waiting for just walked through the door, "Hey Tom, I heard you like to play one pocket, want to play a few games" "who the hell are you?" Tom shouts back...

So someone could quote me and jump in, or start their own dialog and we tie it in together later.

"....hey, asshowle. Amsterdam called and respectfully directed you to end usage of its name or likeness in any materials or fashion not approved by it, in writing.

John didn't like that."

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"....hey, asshowle. Amsterdam called and respectfully directed you to end usage of its name or likeness in any materials or fashion not approved by it, in writing.

John didn't like that."

John was a pretty personable guy at times, especially during a night of binge drinking. 10 pm rolls around, and they were still even, wasn't quite the payday John had expected, but he had made a friend, something hard for him to do.

Tom says "let's ditch this shithole and never mention it by name again, I got a much better place " and off they go into the night, they hail a taxi to head over to The Dam, on 12th St. A little know oasis of gambling, but what neither realized is they just walked into a....

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Across the country, in a small town in AZ, one of the worlds best decided to get back into the game. As a child prodigy he could give any pro a run for their money, unfortunately, there wasn't much money to be had winning the races. After a trip to China on business a few months back he saw an emerging market and decided to get back into the game.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
John was a pretty personable guy at times, especially during a night of binge drinking. 10 pm rolls around, and they were still even, wasn't quite the payday John had expected, but he had made a friend, something hard for him to do.

Tom says "let's ditch this shithole and never mention it by name again, I got a much better place " and off they go into the night, they hail a taxi to head over to The Dam, on 12th St. A little know oasis of gambling, but what neither realized is they just walked into a....

bar where the men were wearing tee shirts with packs of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeves. A little macho thing going on a few dames but something just wasn't quite right like from another era.......Then there was the room in back where the gambling was done, a nice private space and everyone knew not to mess with the guys that went in there. It was a place where things got serious and play could go on literally night into day and beyond.....

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you quoting Tom ?

And in walked Jim, a smooth-talking ladies man from Texas, he always had a few woman on his arm and roll of hundreds in his pocket, never afraid of an action game but not the fastest on the draw.

I think Black Balled was having some fun, but I ran with hit :)

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
bar where the men were wearing tee shirts with packs of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeves. A little macho thing going on a few dames but something just wasn't quite right like from another era.......Then there was the room in back where the gambling was done, a nice private space and everyone knew not to mess with the guys that went in there. It was a place where things got serious and play could go on literally night into day and beyond.....

The bar's name was "A Touch of History", which was appropriate, as the gambling room had a couple of 10 foot tables.

John and Tom noticed a fellow eying them with amusement from across the room, standing with a gorgeous Asian woman next to the entrace of the gambling room. Sharply dressed, hair slicked back and parted down the middle like something out of an old silent film. Looked like he had money, and with a healthy four fingers of Scotch in his glass, looked like he just might be willing to bet some of it..

John looked over at Tom and winked. They approached the fellow and introduced themselves and asked if there was any action to be found.. The fellow promptly said (in a slightly slurred voice) "Gentlemen, you come to the right place! My name is Ralph, this is my wife Amelia, and we've been looking for a little action ourselves, something to get the juices flowing, you know?", and raising his glass in something of a mock salute.

Tom glanced over at John with a raised eyebrow. "Ralph" spoke with a cadence that he'd never heard before, something, like the bar itself, from another time period... But slurring his speech as he was, and with a full glass and no signs of stopping, they HAD to get this guy down in a game. Tom asked, "Well, my man.. What's your game?"

Ralph said with a grin, "Straight pool, of course, what else?"

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The bar's name was "A Touch of History", which was appropriate, as the gambling room had a couple of 10 foot tables.

John and Tom noticed a fellow eying them with amusement from across the room, standing with a gorgeous Asian woman next to the entrace of the gambling room. Sharply dressed, hair slicked back and parted down the middle like something out of an old silent film. Looked like he had money, and with a healthy four fingers of Scotch in his glass, looked like he just might be willing to bet some of it..

John looked over at Tom and winked. They approached the fellow and introduced themselves and asked if there was any action to be found.. The fellow promptly said (in a slightly slurred voice) "Gentlemen, you come to the right place! My name is Ralph, this is my wife Amelia, and we've been looking for a little action ourselves, something to get the juices flowing, you know?", and raising his glass in something of a mock salute.

Tom glanced over at John with a raised eyebrow. "Ralph" spoke with a cadence that he'd never heard before, something, like the bar itself, from another time period... But slurring his speech as he was, and with a full glass and no signs of stopping, they HAD to get this guy down in a game. Tom asked, "Well, my man.. What's your game?"

Hold up, I think you all might of did something! Keep it up. I like the read.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"I said, "Ralph, since we got 3 tonight, lets play a few games of cutthroat to get a little warm up, if that's all right with you, or does your lady want to play?"

My new found friend Tom blurts out " If your wife is looking for action, I will give her all she wants." Now I don't know Tom all that well having just met him earlier, but there was an awkward silence after he said that, not sure if he was trying to be funny, serious, maybe tongue-tied in the presence of this beauty, regardless it seemed the wrong thing to say, especially to a stranger. I wasn't sure I would get to ask him later.

You could cut the tension with a knife, time seemed to slow down, and with a place like this, disrespecting a man's lady, the tension might not be the only thing getting cut. Amelia, I think was the only sober one, she threw Tom a life preserver, "Give me the 4 and the 5 in 9ball" she said with a smile that could melt the coldest of hearts. We all chuckled, Ralph still didn't seem too amused but managed to feign a smile...

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
《《《 Waiting to see how the gorgeous Asian woman plays into it.

Anybody who doesn't know loses points on their AZ man card.

I saw a couple gentleman staring over in our direction, I wasn't sure if they were eyeing the beautiful Asian with Ralph, or Tom and me. I thought I would introduce myself on my way to get a drink from the Bartender, I said good evening guys,

"Hello mate, I'm Kennedy this is my friend Jimmy, if you got any money left after playing Ralph, maybe we can have a game later?" I nodded in approval but started worrying I was a fish on the line over there with Ralph.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ, I caught the reference 14.1 and Greenleaf but wasn't sure if you were going for a sense of nostalgia and it was a "tip of the hat" so to speak, or if we were setting the story back in the day during his life.

So what do you all think should this be set in current times, or a throwback to the golden years?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Russ, I caught the reference 14.1 and Greenleaf but wasn't sure if you were going for a sense of nostalgia and it was a "tip of the hat" so to speak, or if we were setting the story back in the day during his life.

So what do you all think should this be set in current times, or a throwback to the golden years?

I was thinking more of a "Midnight in Paris" deal, where the main duo have no idea these are actual historical players they are playing in this place, that it has some sort of power to bring them back for a night, in their prime. It would be greatly entertaining for the "regulars" to watch some "out-of-towners" hustle a drunk Greenleaf.

So..not to be anal, but I doubt that Greenleaf would be gambling at cutthroat, and Princess Nai Tai Tai wouldn't be playing at all.. *grin*

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking more of a "Midnight in Paris" deal, where the main duo have no idea these are actual historical players they are playing in this place, that it has some sort of power to bring them back for a night, in their prime. It would be greatly entertaining for the "regulars" to watch some "out-of-towners" hustle a drunk Greenleaf.

So..not to be anal, but I doubt that Greenleaf would be gambling at cutthroat, and Princess Nai Tai Tai wouldn't be playing at all.. *grin*

I agree, I had mentioned Amsterdam Billiards initially, which I believe was founded just a tad bit after Ralph's time, so I thought you were giving a nod to the great.

Probably take a little to get the kinks worked out on the plot, and I'll update the 1st post once we got characters and plot a little more solid?

I am open to all ideas/recommendations, this is more AzBilliards thing if it wants it :) I like your ideas and writing, and the idea of using historical figures is really cool. The downside is if we try to tell a somewhat historically accurate tale it will limit who can contribute, although I don't know how many will eventually get interested.

Last edited: