its player B shot with ball in hand behind the head string
i believe the closest ball to the head string gets spotted
and if 2 balls are closest the highest numbered ball gets spotted
icbw
but thats how i remember it
i looked in wpa rules and couldnt find a written rule
could someone post a link to the written rule please
thanks in advance

yes it is closest to the headstring, never heard of the higher number one though.

the way i judge this in my 14.1 league is the ball that is closer to the spot (center line) for the balls that are at equal distance to the line in the kitchen.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes it is closest to the headstring, never heard of the higher number one though.

the way i judge this in my 14.1 league is the ball that is closer to the spot (center line) for the balls that are at equal distance to the line in the kitchen.

do you know where i can find the written rule?
thanks for the reply

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
player A scratches and has no balls to spot
all the balls are behind the head string
its player B shot with ball in hand behind the head string
i believe the closest ball to the head string gets spotted
and if 2 balls are closest the highest numbered ball gets spotted
icbw
but thats how i remember it
i looked in wpa rules and couldnt find a written rule
could someone post a link to the written rule please
thanks in advance

Try WPA rule 1.5 which says in part:

When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.

When you say "has no balls to spot", I'm a little worried. If a player scratches without making a ball (or driving a ball off the table), no ball is ever spotted. "Has no balls to spot," makes me think that you are going to play it like one pocket where you spot one of "your" ball when you foul regardless of whether a ball has been pocketed.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.

When you say "has no balls to spot", I'm a little worried. If a player scratches without making a ball (or driving a ball off the table), no ball is ever spotted. "Has no balls to spot," makes me think that you are going to play it like one pocket where you spot one of "your" ball when you foul regardless of whether a ball has been pocketed.

great pick up bob
this was a situation for a onepocket game
but we (onepocket players) use the official rules as a guidline.
THANKS ALOT FOR THE REPLY.......:thumbup::thumbup:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

i dont think the player should have a choice, what if one of the shots is easier than the other.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i dont think the player should have a choice, what if one of the shots is easier than the other.
I don't think the situation comes up very often -- I have never seen it -- but in any case the player will be looking at a spot shot. The player already has the choice of whether to spot a ball or not.

The rule was written that way to avoid the requirement that the balls actually be numbered.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why not a choice? Just another opportunity to demonstrate strategic skill, as a lesser player may overlook the advantage of spotting the more difficult shot, or a ball that may not be a possible break shot.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the only two balls left on the table were in the kitchen and equidistant from the headstring, but one was near the headspot, and the other was frozen on the rail...I believe I would chose to spot the latter!