42 ball run

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I beat my 2010 high run by one ball last night.
George Fels was beating me up. He needed about 10 and I needed 41. He missed a break shot and I cleared off three racks. I didn't get a chance to go further because when I turned around he had racked all 15 for our next match.

But I didn't really have a shot.

http://vimeo.com/10602870

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I beat my 2010 high run by one ball last night.
George Fels was beating me up. He needed about 10 and I needed 41. He missed a break shot and I cleared off three racks. I didn't get a chance to go further because when I turned around he had racked all 15 for our next match.

But I didn't really have a shot.

http://vimeo.com/10602870

Hey Hey Hey!!! :groucho: :groucho: :groucho:

Way to go Dennis!!! My man in the clutch!!! In the trenches!!! When the goin gets tough........

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Great job! you will beat it soon i am sure! sorry your run had to end that way...someone did that to me a few weeks ago i was on 12 with a really easy break shot and i really felt i would break my 14...i turned around and all the balls were racked ( my friend grabbed the ball not thinking and racked them all lol) keep it up!

~~Heather~~

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Awesome Dennis, that's a great number to put up to close out a match against a seasoned veteran !

Can't wait to watch it when I get home, video won't open on iPhone.

Steve

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job buddy running out the game like that and 42 is a solid number.

Playing strong

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on the new high run Dennis ! nice shooting, but i think you should have opened that cluster in the 3rd rack pretty early instead of shooting everything else in until you have only 1 ball left to open it up. if the 10 ball would have stayed at the rail you would have had a harder time. I would have played the 10-ball with left english to hit the 1-ball out to the side of the rack for a breakshot, cueball should stop about where the 1 was and then just shoot the striped in the side and break the next rack.
Just my thoughts, might help you a little....you will break 50 soon, keep it up.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Jim, Heather, Steve, Elvi, John and Mr. Lipsky: Thanks, guys. Wasn't really playing too well. Missed some earlier key shots that left great breakers for George. And I noticed my chicken wing stroke was in full flight on some of the shots. Back to the drawing board.

Congrats on the new high run Dennis ! nice shooting, but i think you should have opened that cluster in the 3rd rack pretty early instead of shooting everything else in until you have only 1 ball left to open it up. if the 10 ball would have stayed at the rail you would have had a harder time. I would have played the 10-ball with left english to hit the 1-ball out to the side of the rack for a breakshot, cueball should stop about where the 1 was and then just shoot the striped in the side and break the next rack.
Just my thoughts, might help you a little....you will break 50 soon, keep it up.

I know I waited too long. I'll have to look at the whole rack again and see when I should have gone in.

What you suggested was exactly what I was trying to do, but it was a bit thin and I did not stroke it well. I was trying to come under it and bump it up.

George would have probably grabbed it anyway once I had my back turned.

I beat my high this year by one ball. My high last year was 57 and I would like to beat that this year.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I think noone will have negative thoughts that you won t break your record- i m very sure you will do- nice shooting!

And btw- i m really jealously that you re able to play with my *fav author* George Fels. With his book *Mastering Pool* he made me totally infected to straight-pool. Every time i m giving lessons or just lookin around in a room with pool-tables watching at players i still have *Fast Eddie* in my mind :grin-square:
i would love to play and talk with him.

tc
Ingo

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
42 and out is strong, sounds like George didn't know what hit him.

I quit Eddie, I can't beat you. Give him the stake money Willie.

gascoigne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow the man delivers in crunch time...a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...really great shooting...

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
And btw- i m really jealously that you re able to play with my *fav author* George Fels. With his book *Mastering Pool* he made me totally infected to straight-pool. Every time i m giving lessons or just lookin around in a room with pool-tables watching at players i still have *Fast Eddie* in my mind :grin-square:
i would love to play and talk with him.

tc
Ingo

The first year I played him I thought I had wandered into one of his chapters as he methodically took the racks apart. He plays very nice patterns.
He had a couple of 20 something runs last night I think. I will try to extract them and maybe post them for you.

He was chatting a little bit. We talked about the Rempe/Hopkins dvd and the Hopkins and Diliberto style of straight pool.

He mentioned that your countryman Ralph Eckert came up to him at Derby and thanked him for watching his match. Evidently, Ralph read some of his writings in his earlier years. George does the scoring of the match between Ralph Eckert and Charlie Williams in the soon to be release Accustats final of the Bob Jewett Straight Pool Challenge at Derby City a few months ago.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
that was some confident shooting under pressure of not returning to the table have you missed just one ball. Nice out Dennis!

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Well I got to watch the run, very nice. I think George might have been a little mad cause he swept that one ball quick to rack for the next match.

Man those are some coke bottle glasses you got there. I just got eye surgery about 5 weeks ago and I still cant see as good as I did with my glasses. I wish I had never gotten the surgery. They say I should get better at the 3 month mark.

I like the chalk on a zip cord, pretty smart.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Very nice shooting dennis, i finally got to watch it.

2 things i noticed !

just like i tell my wife. Stablize the bridge, seems to be alot of movement there.

secondly, halfway through the 3rd rack you could of shot the ball that was closer to the rail, underneath the rack and ran into the pack and had the other ball as an insurance ball. instead of waiting til the end of the rack when you didnt have an insurance shot.

other than that, i am happy to say that your game is coming along very nicely.

just watch the Chicken Wing !
Steve

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis -- what's all the shouting in the background during rack #3? I thought you played in a civil pool hall!

Nice 42 & out!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Very nice shooting dennis, i finally got to watch it.

2 things i noticed !

just like i tell my wife. Stablize the bridge, seems to be alot of movement there.

secondly, halfway through the 3rd rack you could of shot the ball that was closer to the rail, underneath the rack and ran into the pack and had the other ball as an insurance ball. instead of waiting til the end of the rack when you didnt have an insurance shot.

other than that, i am happy to say that your game is coming along very nicely.

just watch the Chicken Wing !
Steve

I was hoping to get under that 14 ball so I could cut it, go into the rack and have the 2 as insurance. But... I was on top of the 14. I could still have cut it, gone to the bottom rail and then up into the cluster if that is what you are talking about. I am not always real comfortable on those shots. They bobble sometimes. In retrospect, it would have been best to have taken that shot right then.

You are right about the chicken wing, the peripatetic pinky (and other fingers) that fiddle around as I am getting ready to shoot. Trying to work on those things but sometimes in the heat of the battle, I revert.