Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mosconi Cup: Nine-Ball, Big Pockets, Short Races
Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
12-06-2018, 07:48 AM

This is exciting pool. Real drama that is easily understood by complete pool newbies. People who dont play pool would never be able to tell the difference between the event on 4.25 inch diamonds or the bucket rassons being used. All they know is that the player missed (boring) or played safe (really boring turn the channel).

Old
  (#17)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-06-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
More successful where? Not in the US. Not in Asia to my knowledge, Certainly not in the PI, Maybe more successful in Europe, but according to a friend, more and more billiards clubs and pool tables in pubs are popping up in the UK, so maybe pool will overtake snooker in Europe at some point?

I am not a snooker expert, but outside of Europe I just don't see the worldwide participation that pool has....could certainly be wrong though.
Snooker is huge in Asia.

Old
  (#18)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

12-06-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Schofield View Post
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball, alternate breaks on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, winner breaks, on stingie tables, a path to growth and popularity.
Looks like a shit show to me... but that's part of it's success and appeal. It's the one pool event where the crowd gets to interact well more then what they should... the crowds rowdy reaction is also an example of what might attract the average channel surfer. They might stop on their favorite UK sports channel and see pool on. Where they might normally watch for a couple minutes, they instead watch a little longer because the event is more fast paced, rowdy, and exciting.

The tournament overall is a gimmick and the table is a gaff and the crowd is a joke... add all these things together and throw the best pool players in the world in the mix and you got something that pool fans and non pool fans can watch.

Am I happy US is doing well this year? Sure. Do I really care if they win? No. In the grand scheme of things it is a glorified exhibition match and free pay day that does not showcase the players true abilities.

Not only this event, but other majors as well, it seems the equipment is a bit too easy at least when it comes to ball pocketing. I've seen so many shots that should hang up or spit out but are accepted... but I guess this also goes towards the entertainment side of the game. Who wants to watch pros rattle balls? Not the average viewer... they want to see them spear the long table length straight in shot at Mach 1.

In my opinion, the average to above average pool player likes to see the pros struggle on a tougher table. It reminds them that the pros are human as well and can miss the same shots you are missing. It also gives a greater respect to the pro when they so spear that hard shot on tighter pockets. When they fire the ball straight in rather then hitting 1 or more diamonds up with the pocket still accepting it.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 12-06-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Old
  (#19)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swighey View Post
Snooker is huge in Asia.
Bigger than pool?Wow, Never knew that. Learnt something today!

Old
  (#20)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
Bigger than pool?Wow, Never knew that. Learnt something today!
Snooker and Chinese 8ball are both extremely popular all over Asia. Look how many Asian players are currently on WorldSnookerTour. Some of the Korean and Chinese players are very good.

Old
  (#21)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Snooker and Chinese 8ball are both extremely popular all over Asia. Look how many Asian players are currently on WorldSnookerTour. Some of the Korean and Chinese players are very good.
I guess I just mistakenly assumed with the great chinese and taiwanese players that pool was the bigger cue sport. But then again I am not a huge snooker fan, so I don't keep up with it much. Shoot, as much as space is at a premium in many Asian cities, I am surprised they aren't playing on six foot mini tables

Old
  (#22)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Yes the average and above average player likes to see pros on tough equipment, however, it is the casual fan that we need to buy in for the sport to grow. There has to be a reason why they watch. And that number of people outnumbers us players by an exponential value.

Playing Cue: McDermott G903, I3 Shaft, Navigator Black Super Soft tip for regular pool. I2 Shaft with Navigator Black soft tip for Artistic Pool
Break Cue: Stinger
Jump Cue: McDermott Big boy shaft with Jump Handle/ Marty Carey Jump Cue
Masse Cue: Jacoby Heavy Hitter Masse Cue

www.gospeltrickshot.org
http://www.mcdermottcue.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRC...yTfxDrlYmwMBOQ

Old
  (#23)
ctran
You watch me.
ctran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond reputectran has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 08:34 AM

and i can tell it's more about the rail not bouncy enough, pockets and jaws looks good to me but it's the under bouncy rails make balls travel closer to rails after contact

Old
  (#24)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member

12-06-2018, 08:36 AM

Heck there are a variety of ways to make it tougher that don't even have to do with the table. everything from racking to how ridiculous it is that professionals get to use a jump cue, when most league players have to jump with their player.

If we are going to say the pros need tougher conditions, shouldn't we also advocate that they shouldn't get to use the "crutches" of break tips and jump sticks?

Old
  (#25)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Big pockets mean the players are more aggressive and go for shots. The Mosconi Cup pressure and short time at the table to calibrate break shots means we aren't seeing a parade of break and runs so obviously the pockets are not too big. They would probably be too big for a typical tournament though.

Good Luck today- Mosconi Team USA....
Old
  (#26)
poolhallbanger
AzB Silver Member
poolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond reputepoolhallbanger has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck today- Mosconi Team USA.... - 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM

Nobody adjust better to table conditions than the USA. Take away snooker sized
pockets friendly to cue ball movement, banks and jump shots is a recipe favoring
the USA. 9 ball is not a snooker type game it is a shooters game really.
The Mosconi Cup promoters hit the target with rules,table conditions and playing
conditions to make the game much more appealing to the masses as a spectator
sport. I look forward to the US Open in 2019 which hopefully will be the same

Old
  (#27)
9andout
Hope to run 30+ someday

9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swighey View Post
It’s an exhibition of sorts but certainly not an exhibition match judging by the reactions of the players. They appear to be going through the full range of emotions associated with being in a pressure cooker situation. Pretty exciting in my book. Long races offers a different kind of excitement. I’m a pool player and think both have their place - in this kind of match up longer races would be boring and would actually defeat the object of the competition.

As for winner breaks, I think a majority of “pool players”on the planet that you are living on find alternate break fairer, more relevant and more exciting.
Not a bad take overall.
The alternate break comment???
NO WAY.

9' Diamond Paragon!
In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!

Old
  (#28)
gogg
AzB Silver Member
gogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 09:24 AM

I suggest cheerleaders in skimpy attire....

Even a bad day at the table is better than a good day at work!

“A man, as a general rule,owes very little to what he is born with.
A man is what he makes of himself.”
Alexander Graham Bell

Old
  (#29)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2018, 09:44 AM

What's amazing to me is all the people complaining about big pockets, loud crowd, short races, etc.

Did any of you watch the international open???? 6 people on the rail, 3 of them sleeping, 2 on their phones and 1 watching. Yeah, that's exciting.

You obviously know NOTHING about what people want to see, and YOU are the reason pool is not on TV and is boring as hell.

The place is packed, selling drinks like crazy and everybody there PAID to get in, guess you guys would rather watch in a Church with 3" pockets cause you're all elite pros and watching pool with these pockets is so far below you.

Get a clue!

Jason<---not here to make friends

Old
  (#30)
Paul8ball
AzB Silver Member
Paul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond reputePaul8ball has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Paul8ball Send a message via Yahoo to Paul8ball  
12-06-2018, 10:06 AM

The Mosconi Cup is a made for TV event. The short races are to accommodate that. The pocket size is not so important because the table has new cloth. This means that the table will play easy in spite of the pocket size, due to the slickness of the new cloth.

As for alternating breaks, that is the format on the European Tour, so Matchroom adopted it. It was probably a wise decision due to the shortness of the races.

Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: