Is there anyway to fit a 31" Shaft into a Fellini stlye JB GTF Case?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Is there anyway to fit a 31" Shaft into a Fellini stlye JB GTF Case?

Do they make longer top caps?
GTF Cases are no longer being made. If we decide to continue making that style of case we will offer the option to order any lid/body measurements wanted that make practical sense.

GTF cases were made to have 28.4" of capacity to the lip of the case and then an additional 2.4" above the lip giving them a total length capacity just shy of 31" at 30.8. There is no easy way to get a 31" shaft into GTF case without taking the case apart and weakening the construction at the top and bottom.

And, I couldn't make you a new lid if I wanted to. Each case lid and body are from the same tube. When any other tube is used to make a lid it never lines up correctly. The extruded tubes we used did not have the precision consistency for them to be interchangeable for this type of case. The lid would fit snugly but it would not be flush. The other reason why it wouldn't be is variance in leather thickness. Every piece of leather is slightly different in thickness, even when skived. It would be a near impossibility for me to get a piece that had the right thickness all the way around. We could get really close but it would still be obvious.

So, at this point I am left only with the advice that my friend and now retired maker Jack Justis, gave to a customer who complained that his cue was too long for the case, any competent cuemaker can take a half inch off of that shaft. :)

Of course I am not actually suggesting that you modify your cue to fit the case. But in this case any modification to it is likely to either destroy it or render it an eyesore with a mismatched lid.

As I type this however I do have one suggestion: You could put a band of leather on the case join shaft to act as a spacer. if that spacer were a half inch then it would give you the clearance you want. The spacer band could be done in a veg tan (saddle leather) with the edges hardened. You have 3" of case join shaft so the tension should be about the same with a half inch spacer. If your case has a lock you can simply take it off. You could if you like attach the lower part of the lock to the spacer although you would probably want to then glue the spacer into place. I think that this will work and give you the capacity to hold 31.5" in length.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GTF Cases are no longer being made. If we decide to continue making that style of case we will offer the option to order any lid/body measurements wanted that make practical sense.

GTF cases were made to have 28.4" of capacity to the lip of the case and then an additional 2.4" above the lip giving them a total length capacity just shy of 31" at 30.8. There is no easy way to get a 31" shaft into GTF case without taking the case apart and weakening the construction at the top and bottom.

And, I couldn't make you a new lid if I wanted to. Each case lid and body are from the same tube. When any other tube is used to make a lid it never lines up correctly. The extruded tubes we used did not have the precision consistency for them to be interchangeable for this type of case. The lid would fit snugly but it would not be flush. The other reason why it wouldn't be is variance in leather thickness. Every piece of leather is slightly different in thickness, even when skived. It would be a near impossibility for me to get a piece that had the right thickness all the way around. We could get really close but it would still be obvious.

So, at this point I am left only with the advice that my friend and now retired maker Jack Justis, gave to a customer who complained that his cue was too long for the case, any competent cuemaker can take a half inch off of that shaft. :)

Of course I am not actually suggesting that you modify your cue to fit the case. But in this case any modification to it is likely to either destroy it or render it an eyesore with a mismatched lid.

As I type this however I do have one suggestion: You could put a band of leather on the case join shaft to act as a spacer. if that spacer were a half inch then it would give you the clearance you want. The spacer band could be done in a veg tan (saddle leather) with the edges hardened. You have 3" of case join shaft so the tension should be about the same with a half inch spacer. If your case has a lock you can simply take it off. You could if you like attach the lower part of the lock to the spacer although you would probably want to then glue the spacer into place. I think that this will work and give you the capacity to hold 31.5" in length.

Is there anywhere a person could buy the type tubing that was used for Fellini cases?

I'd like to try to fabricate something myself.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Is there anywhere a person could buy the type tubing that was used for Fellini cases?

I'd like to try to fabricate something myself.

Not generally but you can search for plastic extrusion profiles and find ones that have matching connector tubes.

Sometimes the makers of the tubes will send out tubes that they happen to have some of.

If you happen to find the extruder who made the tubes for It's George, Thomas, Fellini or any of the other brands that built in that style they might have a low enough minimum to fire off a batch for you. If their molds still work with the machines they use today...otherwise no chance from them.

If you order tubes for case makers just order the 1x2 with cap and write in the notes that you want the GTF style. What you will get is a body and lid with a connector tube. We are currently not making GTF cases so no endcaps but you can likely figure those out easily. just got to our website to order.