Ferrule problems...need suggestions...

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks,

Is anyone here seeing problems with the Predator ferrules developing pits and uneven spots just from chalk dust? My son's 314-2 gets chalk streaks that are actually ingrained in the ferrule and have to be sanded out. It's either going to get dirtier and rougher, or will rapidly become a toothpick if I attempt to keep it clean and smooth. Any ideas to combat this (aside from selling it)??

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If the streaks are near the tip, it's probably from the cloth.
I'm guessing he has a nice follow-through and doesn't drop his shoulder much, maintaining a nice firm bridge. :thumbup:
You can really burn them on the cloth if you break like "Captain Hook", too.
The ferrules are very soft, and can't be kept clean under these circumstances.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's probably it!

If the streaks are near the tip, it's probably from the cloth.
I'm guessing he has a nice follow-through and doesn't drop his shoulder much, maintaining a nice firm bridge. :thumbup:
You can really burn them on the cloth if you break like "Captain Hook", too.
The ferrules are very soft, and can't be kept clean under these circumstances.

You likely nailed the issue there. He started breaking with his playing cue more recently, which explains why the problem has gotten far worse lately. He does generally hit the cloth on his follow through, and breaks really hard for 11. Off to Jr. Natl's in a few weeks!

Thanks so much for the reply. Will save me a lot of frustration!

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Folks,

Is anyone here seeing problems with the Predator ferrules developing pits and uneven spots just from chalk dust? My son's 314-2 gets chalk streaks that are actually ingrained in the ferrule and have to be sanded out. It's either going to get dirtier and rougher, or will rapidly become a toothpick if I attempt to keep it clean and smooth. Any ideas to combat this (aside from selling it)??

Hi,

All of the time. Those ferrules are designed to be light weight and sometimes you must sacrifice function for form. It's like a Motorsail Boat, it doesn't sail well and it dosen't motor well, but it does both. Compromise one thing for the other.

Don't try to polish those ferrules too hard as they get hot with a paper towel and melt on you pronto. I was polishing one and it started to bend and distort, I thought I was having an LSD Flashback. :rotflmao1:

I learned that the hard way and it cost me to have it fixed for the customer because Predator would not sell me a replacement ferrule.

When I do a tip on a Predator I lightly sand and polish real carefully. I am not looking for pretty, just a clean up. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

Rick G

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys. Now that I know it's an issue of a soft ferrule scraping the cloth, I don't have to beat myself up looking for solutions. If he wants to continue breaking with his playing cue, he'll have to accept a dirty ferrule. Appreciate the responses. Take care, all.