Mosconi Cup

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... unfortunately, when the Bonus Ball was formed over lapping on top of all the Mosconi Cups Points & BCA (Billiard Congress of America) Points events that made the points system impossible to be fair...:( How is that going to determine the best players in US when it is not possible for all the top players to compete against?
*** DISCLOSURE: I am not bashing BB, just stating the fact!

Matchroom people certainly knows what they are doing :thumbup:

I am sure they will have good solution in mind and will make proper announcements.

This year's Mosconi Cup will be held in Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas instead of MGM. I am looking forward to the new venue and will be there!

S. G.

Sunny I was talking about when it was Points to determine who went to play. They took the top two point leaders and 3 wildcard I am well aware that this year there is no point involved...Im not so sure that they are putting up the best US players. Now that there are no guidelines involved too much is left up in the air on the selection process

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Sunny I was talking about when it was Points to determine who went to play. They took the top two point leaders and 3 wildcard I am well aware that this year there is no point involved...Im not so sure that they are putting up the best US players. Now that there are no guidelines involved too much is left up in the air on the selection process

It will be interesting to find out for sure. But I am sure Matchroom Sports are aware without rivalry competition becomes boring and will eventually lose it's buzz. (After all Mosconi Cup is geared toward TV - it must be exciting and non predictable) US has lost 2 consecutive years to my recollection... If US team doesn't at least tie or make it close Moscini Cup also might lose its flavor. I believe they will do us right. <-- That's what just me thinks :wink2:

S. G.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I would like to see some of the older guys on both teams....

Sigel
McCready
Varrner
Hall
Earl

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be interesting to find out for sure. But I am sure Matchroom Sports are aware without rivalry competition becomes boring and will eventually lose it's buzz. (After all Mosconi Cup is geared toward TV - it must be exciting and non predictable) US has lost 2 consecutive years to my recollection... If US team doesn't at least tie or make it close Moscini Cup also might lose its flavor. I believe they will do us right. <-- That's what just me thinks :wink2:

S. G.

Team Europe has won the last 3 out of 4

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Whoever it is, I hope that a stream is available this year. I didn't get to watch much of last year's....

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Competition is a good thing..............

Matchroom Sport is one of the best things to happen to pool. Thank goodness for pioneers like Barry Hearn, a man who keeps pool alive around the world, as well as snooker, darts, golf, boxing, and football.

In past years, when American pool was having political difficulties, Matchroom Sport made the selection process for Team America fair for all American players instead of having the selection process favor a now-defunct male organizational entity. When Matchroom Sport recognized this political snafu, they stepped in to make the process more equitable, giving all players a chance at being a member of Team USA.

An lesser known Barry Hearn factoid: After nearly going bankrupt in the early 1990s, and suffering a heart attack in 2002, he returned to become a multi-millionaire. Hearn enjoys relaxing by fishing in a carp lake, located in his back garden, listening to country and western music while sitting in his favorite rocking chair.

Country music? Barry Hearn? Wow! :smile:

This year celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Mosconi Cup, they say we're in for a surprise as far as who will be on each team. I can't wait!

I wouldn't mind seeing Ronnie O'Sullivan on the European Team although that would mean another tough player for the American Team to compete with.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Whoever it is, I hope that a stream is available this year. I didn't get to watch much of last year's....

In the last few years (at least) there's been like 5 different sites offering a free stream, that I believe are all fed through Sky sports. Some stream qualities are way better than others, and each year us poolaholics flock to AZB to see who's touting the best streaming site.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last few years (at least) there's been like 5 different sites offering a free stream, that I believe are all fed through Sky sports. Some stream qualities are way better than others, and each year us poolaholics flock to AZB to see who's touting the best streaming site.

The ppv from Sky last year was at a very reasonable price and the stream was great.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you have ESPN on your cable tv programing, then you can use ESPN3 and watch it live on your computer like last year

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only way it could be fair, if all 5 players were selected strictly on points. Once the Wildcard comes into play is where the hanky panky comes into play.
As I see it, the problem for Matchroom is to find the strongest possible US team. That's based on recent results. They want to the event to go down to the final match. It is a big problem if either team leads 9-1 after two days of play. I think there is less of a problem finding a strong European team.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
I think that's the Mirage, but after a while they all start to look alike.

Yup, you're right... They all look the same to me, lol! They are both gold color and in very similar shape... and their name both starting with letter "M"...

S. G.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It was streamed via ESPN3 (internet only) in the US last year. It was a GREAT match last year and I was hoping ESPN or ESPN2 would have done a rebroadcast of it this year, but no luck.

Maybe the numbers last year were a test with Barry (I believe ESPN does it overseas live). It'd be great if they actually showed it live this year on ESPN or FOX.