Need a new butt -- here're my goals. Recommendations?

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to get the longest Mezz WX900 shafts (I think 30") and then maybe a 32" butt. I have an Espiritu butt now, and would already be considering one but his website is from the 90s.

I want something that is simple -- not ornate, no expensive materials, just well crafted.

I want a cue manufacture who can finish the job in 2 months, and guarantees it rolls straight for years.

I need advice on the pin (I have 5/16th I believe right now).

I've heard 3/8ths is "better" ...? It feels like my cue can get a little loose while playing and I'd prefer something that I don't have to audit.

I want a cue that has a rubber foot on it, but that you can screw an extension in to (like a Fury, but I don't like the look of their cues).

It doesn't need to be ornate, but rather, simple. And I want the attention to detail to be perfect.

Recommendations?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guarantee Is a dream.

Its wood and once in the user's hands, the manufacturer has zero control over what happens to it.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Talk to Jim Baxter. That time frame could be difficult for any cuemaker, but he usually has blanks ready to convert.

Ben

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I want to get the longest Mezz WX900 shafts (I think 30") and then maybe a 32" butt. I have an Espiritu butt now, and would already be considering one but his website is from the 90s.

I want something that is simple -- not ornate, no expensive materials, just well crafted.

I want a cue manufacture who can finish the job in 2 months, and guarantees it rolls straight for years.

I've heard 3/8ths is "better" ...? It feels like my cue can get a little loose while playing and I'd prefer something that I don't have to audit.

I want a cue that has a rubber foot on it, but that you can screw an extension in to (like a Fury, but I don't like the look of their cues).

It doesn't need to be ornate, but rather, simple. And I want the attention to detail to be perfect.

Recommendations?

What price range ?

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guarantee Is a dream.

Its wood and once in the user's hands, the manufacturer has zero control over what happens to it.

My Espiritu has rolled straight for 14 years. Anyway, yeah, I agree ... "guarantee" is excessive.

But what about the kind of pin, is 5/16ths good enough? If so, I could keep my current butt and just get shafts made that fit it, and retrofit the butt to accept a longer handle...?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are happy with your cue, why not just have a 3" mid cue extension made?

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
If you are happy with your cue, why not just have a 3" mid cue extension made?

I have a 2.5" one that Newsherrifintwn made to make my Star City cue 60.5". Has not changed the playability or hit at all.

Ben

Edit: well, it improved playability mailing it longer, which is better for me

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the pin you can read a lot on the Internet - please do so.
I enjoy the 3/8x14 (Cuetec only) the most I must admit; second comes the "new generation" 3/8x10. This into a phenolic insert in the shaft, no steel bracing as with Cuetec as it increases the weight near the joint and the balance shifts.

Schmelke does customs and seems to do a very good job there.
Fury does have a nice plain series - the NA ones: http://fury-cues.com/na-series-pool-cues/ (love the NA-6 Olive).
Universal cues does have the UN114: http://www.universal-billiard.com/
Maybe you can get a used one for cheap.

I find it funny that there people dismiss a guarantee/warranty on the cue staying straight... that's not an impossible thing at all.
That's why I only buy mass market - I get a warranty there, state legal binding for 2 years (too) and usually with unlimited regarding straightness - granted I treat the cue in a "normal way".

Cheers, good luck!

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Recommendations?

Hey, Truman...
I know you're in SoCal... check out Eddie Cohen.. he's in SoCal, he does great work.
(562) 716-2368

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Check out Schmelke.

If you like "plain", here's the one Schmelke made for me. All maple.

Funny thing is, I wanted a cue no one would notice. But everyone notices it :confused: It's actually pretty elegant looking.

It plays well with either the Schmelke shaft or my OB2+ 30" shaft. I'm not sure but I suspect they'll make you one any length you want. However, I've not see a screw-on extension option.

But it might be beyond your budget...$90 with shaft.

Attachments

• Schmelke butt.jpg
    Schmelke butt.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys think of Prewitt to just retrofit the butt of my cue with the ability to add an extension. I think I'm actually happy with the butt otherwise... and will just get shafts that fit my current pin.

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you want a 62" cue and the ability to add an extension?! wow. playing on 10 footers??

I absolutely SUCK with the bridge. I still have to use it to get over a ball... and I think it's more like 61" -- but yeah, Earl is more than just kind of on to something -- I almost think I want a 70" cue!! :)

And anyone who knows me knows I'm as crazy as he is.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
You could also consider a Balance Rite (or similar) extension to add a couple inches without having to make any changes to your cues.