Van Boening break by an 11-year old....

Hustlehard

Pool Player
Silver Member
Wow nice it looks exactly like SVB and his results are good, squatting the cue ball nicely.

Im no coach but shouldnt he be finding a style that works for him?

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow nice it looks exactly like SVB and his results are good, squatting the cue ball nicely.

To play, yes of course he should find his own way. But for the break, I see no problem in imitating SVB's break. Shane breaks them solid and squats the CB consistently - I see no problem in imitating that.

Joe T

Your son has an awesome break, he also has something that very few professional players have, a fully extended back arm on the backswing, that is going to give him a lot more effortless power.
Tell him to keep up the great job, move that cue ball over a foot when breaking 9 Ball but keep that spot for 10 Ball. Make sure you have the table trained to make for easy, easy racking, don't want him struggling to get a good rack, kids gonna be a monster player :)

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That kid has some good skills. Its always nice to see a young fellow pick up the game!:thumbup:

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto the BreakRak....

Lets get that boy a BreakRak!! That's how SVB developed that break. ;)

Ray

The BreakRak is on the wish list! MY wish list....to save my aching back from racking for him every afternoon.....:thud:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I've seen some of his other videos, he looks like he will be a very strong player someday.

As far as the break, the magic in Shane's break is mostly found in 10ball. The pop and squat is awesome, but consistently making a ball is the most important feature in his break. It looks like your son is on the right path. Can't wait to see him in 5 years.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree, but it's definitely working for him. I think it's fine to emulate your favorite pro as long as they're fundamentally sound and they're game/stroke production isn't excessively unique. Shane has terrific technique on the break. Really like how he keeps his bridge hand anchored to the cloth and follows straight through the cue ball. No excessive body movement, just leans in and let's his technique and timing do the rest.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your son has an awesome break, he also has something that very few professional players have, a fully extended back arm on the backswing, that is going to give him a lot more effortless power.
Tell him to keep up the great job, move that cue ball over a foot when breaking 9 Ball but keep that spot for 10 Ball. Make sure you have the table trained to make for easy, easy racking, don't want him struggling to get a good rack, kids gonna be a monster player :)

Thanks for the compliments and comments. This is from a few months ago, but he can break from the rail as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RnsDb-5lJQ&NR=1

You hit on the same things I notice the most. I'm honestly amazed (and a little envious!) how he produces power with so little effort. I'm practicing at night now after he goes to bed! :thumbup:

Joe T

Thanks for the compliments and comments. This is from a few months ago, but he can break from the rail as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RnsDb-5lJQ&NR=1

You hit on the same things I notice the most. I'm honestly amazed (and a little envious!) how he produces power with so little effort. I'm practicing at night now after he goes to bed! :thumbup:

I know how you feel, my 12 yr old does it to me in golf! Jealous but happy, thats us:wink: