Top Level Snooker vs Pool?

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Or, in other words, how would a match between, let's say, SVB and Ronnie O'Sullivan look like in:
a) snooker
b) 8ball (WPA rules)

Who would you expect to win? Who would have a harder time doing so?

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, in other words, how would a match between, let's say, SVB and Ronnie O'Sullivan look like in:
a) snooker
b) 8ball (WPA rules)

I feel Cory Duel would be well placed to answer that question.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
a) snooker
b) 8ball (WPA rules)

If the races were long and comparable taking the game into account (say best of 17 snooker and best of 49 in 8-ball) then SVB would have absolutely no chance whatsoever to win against Ronnie and Ronnie would have a very very slim chance to win against SVB.

IF Ronnie could break as well as SVB he would actually be a threat, still an underdog but a threat. With an open table Ronnie can and will run out a lot of 8-ball racks on a 9-foot pool table and he might get to 25.

Nothing could save SVB on a snooker table, he would have no prayer in a best of 17 set. In truth it would be shocking if he won 2 games in the race to 9, and that is likely generous and over where the bookies would put the line.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this has been proven

slight edge in pool to the pool players, zero chance in hell that they win barley a frame in a snooker match

for the noobs, do the research

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
also a done to death topic, use the search

I know the topic in general has been debated since... well, forever. But I wanted to hear more about the actual Ronnie vs SVB example (top players in both sports), that's why I made the thread.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I think if Ronnie and Shane played a race to 9 in snooker and a race to 30 in 8-ball every
day until one of them wins both sets on one day it will be Shane that wins.

Shane plays so steady and Ronnie's break is so much worse I just cannot see Ronnie ever winning a race to 30.

Ronnie does have his off days and on one of those I think Shane can get him.

gr. Dave

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I think if Ronnie and Shane played a race to 9 in snooker and a race to 30 in 8-ball every
day until one of them wins both sets on one day it will be Shane that wins.

Shane plays so steady and Ronnie's break is so much worse I just cannot see Ronnie ever winning a race to 30.

Ronnie does have his off days and on one of those I think Shane can get him.

gr. Dave

He's just gone through a pro ranking event
4-1
4-1
4-1
4-1
5-2
9-3
In the final destroyed the number 3 player in the world that has won the last four ranking events topped it off with a maximum and you think SVB is going to win, he would be lucky to win a frame and maybe only then after Ronnie got bored beating him silly.
You must have never been within ten feet of a 6x12.
Let me know when you want to bet so I can arrange a mortgage on my house.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
He's just gone through a pro ranking event
4-1
4-1
4-1
4-1
5-2
9-3
In the final destroyed the number 3 player in the world that has won the last four ranking events topped it off with a maximum and you think SVB is going to win, he would be lucky to win a frame and maybe only then after Ronnie got bored beating him silly.
You must have never been within ten feet of a 6x12.
Let me know when you want to bet so I can arrange a mortgage on my house.

I don't know, maybe you misread my post or something. I do not think Shane is the favorite against Ronnie playing snooker by any means.

I do however think that Shane will beat Ronnie in a race to 9 once before Ronnie beats Shane in a race to 30.
I have in fact been within 10 feet of a 6x12 and I have in fact seen Ronnie play pool in person twice. To say
he has no chance against Shane playing pool is a bit of an understatement.

Shane is simply way more mentally stable then Ronnie and easily shoots straight enough to make frame winning breaks.

gr. Dave

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I don't know, maybe you misread my post or something. I do not think Shane is the favorite against Ronnie playing snooker by any means.

I do however think that Shane will beat Ronnie in a race to 9 once before Ronnie beats Shane in a race to 30.
I have in fact been within 10 feet of a 6x12 and I have in fact seen Ronnie play pool in person twice. To say
he has no chance against Shane playing pool is a bit of an understatement.

Shane is simply way more mentally stable then Ronnie and easily shoots straight enough to make frame winning breaks. lolololo so do I and a thousand other amateur snooker players but if you don't get to shoot whats your point??
gr. Dave

Think what you like but you obviously do not understand pro snooker.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This topic deserves a huge picture of a boat ASAP.

No boat but here's some snooker

Snooker_table_selby.JPG

Last edited:

mcesarey

It would be fun to watch, but SVB wouldn't stand a chance against Ronnie at snooker. I'm sure SVB would go into the match thinking that it's just for fun and probably wouldn't win a single frame. Over time, I'm sure Shane could be competitive in the snooker world but Ronnie is proving himself to be the greatest ever.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
. Over time, I'm sure Shane could be competitive in the snooker world

Nope never, too old to start now and lacking technique and strategic understanding there are already hundreds of amateurs and new pro's much younger that are light years ahead.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also a done to death topic, use the search

I am a big fan of search... but, I doubt any amount of searching will
recall that in the match between Miz and Steve Davis - Mizerack won a
frame in very impressive fashion. This in an extremely short 2-out-of-3
frames match. This event took place when Davis was at his peak '89-ish(?).

Granted, the promoters stacked it to favor Miz - 9 Ball, Straight Pool,
and Snooker. Davis also did well in the 14.1, but not well enough.

BTW - to think the top Pool players have only a SLIGHT edge in Pool is
well off the mark.

Dale

Last edited: