Jayson Shaw's 247 run

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished watching Jayson Shaw's 227 run from the the Derby City Classic on YOU TUBE. It was interesting. I think about 3 times he found himself in a serious pickle and had to take considerable time thinking before pulling a rabbit out of a hat!

For the rest of the 57 minutes though, he played at a swift pace and rarely broke rhythm. I obviously can't read his mind. It sure seemed to me though, that there wasn't a whole lot of thinking going on other than thinking 3 balls ahead (2 balls ahead of the shot he's about to hit)......even when approaching the break shot!

Hey...I'm not knocking it if I'm right! If a guy puts 227 in with that approach that's gotta be the right approach...at least for him. Am I right though?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished watching Jayson Shaw's 227 run from the the Derby City Classic on YOU TUBE. It was interesting. I think about 3 times he found himself in a serious pickle and had to take considerable time thinking before pulling a rabbit out of a hat!

For the rest of the 57 minutes though, he played at a swift pace and rarely broke rhythm. I obviously can't read his mind. It sure seemed to me though, that there wasn't a whole lot of thinking going on other than thinking 3 balls ahead (2 balls ahead of the shot he's about to hit)......even when approaching the break shot!

Hey...I'm not knocking it if I'm right! If a guy puts 227 in with that approach that's gotta be the right approach...at least for him. Am I right though?
227 or 247?? ;)

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a second! I just put in on again. It WAS 227. At this point I'd advise everyone just to ignore me. In fact......seems this is already the case! :D

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alrighty....since no one else wants to talk to me I had to find my own answer! :D John Schmidt provided it while commenting over the video of his own 366 run. Says he during the first rack, " As you can see I'm kinda just flying around the table. Now if I was in a match and needed 50 balls in, say, a 100 point game. I would be more studious and take my time. I know I'm trying to run a massive run, so I'm gonna conserve my mental and physical energy. I'm gonna play pretty quick. That's the only way you're gonna run 3, 4, or 500 balls. You can't take 20 minutes a rack."

Jayson Shaw was not playing a match. He was trying to make the highest run possible at the Derby City Classic competition. I see now. It is kinda interesting though to realize that if the stars align for these guys, all they do is think 2 balls ahead of the ball they're hitting, break up clusters, and give themselves a break shot....and have HUGE SUCCESS! It sure is a simple game on YOU TUBE! :D

Hmmmm though....Non - studious players can succeed at this game...I mean...every now and then? Every now in then is good enough for me. I'm off to Amazon. I'm hoping find "14.1" For Dummy's." I'll report back! :D

Last edited:

bowhunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with most everything you said. Some people think you need to have the whole rack mapped out. This is not the case, just plan 2 balls ahead and stick to fundamentals, break up clusters early, work backwards from break shot to key ball, etc. What separates the JS and the other pros are the ability to pocket balls. And don't overlook equipment, pocket size and quality and cleanliness of balls. When the balls are dirty and don't separate, much tougher to run balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with most everything you said. Some people think you need to have the whole rack mapped out. This is not the case, just plan 2 balls ahead and stick to fundamentals, break up clusters early, work backwards from break shot to key ball, etc. What separates the JS and the other pros are the ability to pocket balls. And don't overlook equipment, pocket size and quality and cleanliness of balls. When the balls are dirty and don't separate, much tougher to run balls.
I think that for most of us, it helps a lot to have a complete plan for the last five and the earlier in the rack you can have that plan, the better.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that for most of us, it helps a lot to have a complete plan for the last five and the earlier in the rack you can have that plan, the better.

I would have to agreed. At least the last four, if they're spread, the last six or so.

Lou Figueroa

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I agree especially since the top pros can make a break shot from almost anything left on the table. 98% of us need some sort of a standard break shot , so more planning is needed.