OB shaft Ferrule

fluna760

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever had problems with the OB1 or OB2 wooden ferrules? I recently bought a new OB2 shaft less then 3 months ago and the ferrule seems to have developed a crack along the lines of the wooden ferrule. I don't break with the shaft, I have a break cue, is this common with the wooden ferrule? I am thinking if I would have been better off getting the OB Pro instead?

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,021

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
This happen to mine in game of banks lasted 2 years with no problems

Attachments

• 20150411_174017.jpg
    20150411_174017.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,068

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My OB Pro cracked the exact same way as Busboy's. I didn't feel like sending it back so I had a new ferrule put on by my local guy. I just got an OB Classic + a couple months ago and last night I noticed a layer of sorts came off the ferrule. It's rather odd and I'm definitely sending it back for a warranty repair/replace.

Last edited:

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
I'm sure Royce will be along soon to address this issue, as I have seen him do many times. OB is the best when it comes to product and customer service from what I've witnessed so far.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I haven't had the problem with two OB2 shafts (regular and +). I've also get an OB break cue which has a wooden ferule. I'm not the most explosive breaker (18-19.5 mph), but it hasn't had a problem either.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
My OB Pro cracked the exact same way as Busboy's. I didn't feel like sending it back so I had a new ferrule put on by my local guy. I just got an OB Classic + a couple months ago and last night I noticed a layer of sorts came off the ferrule. It's rather odd and I'm definitely sending it back for a warranty repair/replace.

Yea I was told I could send mine in but takes while

fluna760

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happen to mine in game of banks lasted 2 years with no problems

So the Pro would have the same problem as the wooden ferrule? Did your shaft develop a crack through the shaft as well or just the lighting?

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did you guys leave the pad under the tip if you put a different one on? i know those are designed to cut down on the amount of stress on the ferrule.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
So the Pro would have the same problem as the wooden ferrule? Did your shaft develop a crack through the shaft as well or just the lighting?

No shaft is fine like I said I've never had problem till now I have the classic shaft

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
did you guys leave the pad under the tip if you put a different one on? i know those are designed to cut down on the amount of stress on the ferrule.

I've never taken my tip off or anything carbon pad still there that cracked as well if u look close

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never taken my tip off or anything carbon pad still there that cracked as well if u look close
I saw that one. Couldn't see the tip in the OP picture though. Just wondered. I've been shooting with my ob1+ for about 6 months and no issues. I'm sure ob will take care of it though. I know it sucks having to send stuff back, but their customer service is top notch.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I saw that one. Couldn't see the tip in the OP picture though. Just wondered. I've been shooting with my ob1+ for about 6 months and no issues. I'm sure ob will take care of it though. I know it sucks having to send stuff back, but their customer service is top notch.

Yea guys at OB are great

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had my tip crack off, not just fly off, a little part of the ferrule cracked off with it.

Got it back a week ago from their shop, played a bit with it, feels like new.

fluna760

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah Carbon fiber pad is still on the ferrule, only had the shaft for about 3 months now.
How long does it take to get your shaft back from OB if you were to send it in?

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I changed the tip I think 4 times and the carbon fiber pad once. After all that is when the ferrule cracked. I have a Z2 ferrule on my OB Pro now so no need for a carbon pad and I can't tell a performance difference at all from it and the original.

Called OB the other day and they said up to three weeks.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Yeah Carbon fiber pad is still on the ferrule, only had the shaft for about 3 months now.

2-3 weeks I was told maybe shorter

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timeline for the guys asking.

I sent my Classic+ in for warranty work on May 4th, OB received it May 7th, emailed me May 8th saying they will fix my ferrule under warranty and the shaft will ship back May 15th.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If players were not so cheap and did not run there tip all the way down to ferrule allot of damage could be prevented. I see it all the time. I like my tips short but there is a point where change out is not only smart but will save you cabbage. .

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB ferrule

Is the ferrule actually wood? Thought it only looked like wood but was actually a type of man made material.

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Broke the wooden ferrule on mine. Local cue quy got a replacement from OB. Shaft does not play even close to the way it played before ferrule replacement.