Best Way to Clean your shaft?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once you have tried just about every do it yourself method and have the grain raised really nice on your shaft, then do what should have been done in the first place and take it to your local repairman and have him do it right on a lathe. Or at least get yourself a lathe pin and a drill to spin your shaft if you want to do it yourself. Then buy some shaft cleaner, sealer and wax.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A wet cloth vigorously rubbed on the shaft but definitely wax the shaft afterwards and Craftsman Cue Wax from England is the very best cue wax to use....a bit pricey but well worth the added cost.

Matt B.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best cleaning is done with Magic Eraser. Followed by sealing with Butcher's Bowling Alley wax. Good luck in keeping your shaft clean...

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Get a fluffy clean white cotton bar rag, dampen and apply, works perfect, will minimize shaft wear.

Last edited:

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you have tried just about every do it yourself method and have the grain raised really nice on your shaft, then do what should have been done in the first place and take it to your local repairman and have him do it right on a lathe. Or at least get yourself a lathe pin and a drill to spin your shaft if you want to do it yourself. Then buy some shaft cleaner, sealer and wax.

Chris said it all in his post. Enough said.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone chime in on my cleaning method and offer any advice or changes? I started taking care of my shafts a lot more recently and I have learned a great deal from reading techniques from other members. I also wanted to note that I live in Canada, where denatured alcohol is not sold here. I'm contemplating of purchasing rubbing alcohol (95% ethanol alcohol at my local drug store okay?) and dampen with magic eraser but for now, my steps are as follows:

1. Use magic eraser (dry)
2. Use Joe Porper shaft cleaning solution
3. Use dark side of Q-Wiz, then green side of Q-Wiz
4. Use leather to burnish shaft
5. Q-Wax with paper towel, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe off excess wax and wipe until smooth with paper towel.

What should I do if my shaft is only a tad bit dirty? Is there a way for me to clean just a bit of it without going through my entire steps? Also, how is the wax removed? I've read that rubbing alcohol with towel/magic eraser will get rid of it? Also what is the difference between a shaft sealer solution compared to burnishing your shaft with a piece of leather?

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone chime in on my cleaning method and offer any advice or changes? I started taking care of my shafts a lot more recently and I have learned a great deal from reading techniques from other members. I also wanted to note that I live in Canada, where denatured alcohol is not sold here. I'm contemplating of purchasing rubbing alcohol (95% ethanol alcohol at my local drug store okay?) and dampen with magic eraser but for now, my steps are as follows:

1. Use magic eraser (dry)
2. Use Joe Porper shaft cleaning solution
3. Use dark side of Q-Wiz, then green side of Q-Wiz
4. Use leather to burnish shaft
5. Q-Wax with paper towel, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe off excess wax and wipe until smooth with paper towel.

What should I do if my shaft is only a tad bit dirty? Is there a way for me to clean just a bit of it without going through my entire steps? Also, how is the wax removed? I've read that rubbing alcohol with towel/magic eraser will get rid of it? Also what is the difference between a shaft sealer solution compared to burnishing your shaft with a piece of leather?

Perhaps a suggestion:

Try Renaissance Wax Polish (best wax I have used, the smallest amount goes a LONG way) Reference: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394833

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps a suggestion:

Try Renaissance Wax Polish (best wax I have used, the smallest amount goes a LONG way) Reference: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394833
Yes I've read about that thread as well. One gentleman mentioned that he's tried every wax imaginable since 1985 and highly recommends Craftsmen Cues Wax on eBay. I'd definitely like to try that once my Q-Wax is used up, but these things last forever so I don't think I'll have that opportunity any time soon. So far I'm pretty happy with Q-Wax, large in quantity, cheap in price, and smells great.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
19778f05bdfe1cf697d2beffb1b9a1e9.jpg

Last edited:

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
I just use my tiger pad before and during a match. Its not perfect but i kinda like a shaft thats a bit crusty anyway...no bluing on the ferrule but a nice even layer of gray means its just right

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi fellow AZers,
I wanted some opinions and methods of the best way to clean your shaft and remove the blue chalk marks. Any reviews on using Q cleaner? I was told I should buy it and use that to clean them, but when I looked online I saw there was the cleaner, the conditioner, and others and was thinking do I need all of them or can the Q cleaner get the job done?

http://bfy.tw/1cnf

But yeah, 99% rubbing alcohol and Mr Clean Magic Erasers.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
Denatured alcohol and magic eraser I reckon, then burnish it.., wet paper towel, I've been using world class cue care pre moistened wipes here lately, and they work great..

Last edited:

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just use my tiger pad before and during a match. Its not perfect but i kinda like a shaft thats a bit crusty anyway...no bluing on the ferrule but a nice even layer of gray means its just right
I've seen a YouTube video from eatpool using it and it seems way too abrasive judging from the sound and excess it removed...

Last edited: