Removing chuck

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a used Midamerica lathe locally and the 4 jaw steady rest seems pretty tight. I want to remove it and disassemble to clean. Has anyone removed one yet? I am assuming that it is threaded onto the bore and have tried using the chuck tool to hold it with no luck. I just was trying to make sure before I break out the big guns. Figured I could chuck up some square stock and turn it with a big wrench or something. Also would it be standard threads of reverse.
-Thanks

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would contact them... They should help you with that info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Look behind the chuck and see if there is a hex nut......... most taig style head stocks have this. If so by a wrench from Little Machine Shop for taig chucks.... about $6......

Hold the spindle with the wrench and use the pin to spin off the chuck.... right hand threads...

Kim

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope this is helpful.

untitled.jpg

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
He's talking about the 4 jaw steady rest. You use the holes in the back of the adapter that holds the chuck on the bearing. The same size holes that you loosen and tighten the chuck with (the same tool). Use 2 of the rods and try and break it free, these will be on pretty tight.

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found the little rods bend too easy. I had better luck using one of the rods to hold the back and a dowel pin in the chuck on the holes that don't adjust and tap it with a hammer.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
He's talking about the 4 jaw steady rest. You use the holes in the back of the adapter that holds the chuck on the bearing. The same size holes that you loosen and tighten the chuck with (the same tool). Use 2 of the rods and try and break it free, these will be on pretty tight.

sorry..................Missed the part about a steady rest........ I have a 3 jaw one and I just put a pin in the back side and unscrew the chuck..................

Kim

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I figured that is how it came off and I did bend my bars trying. I will try something a little more stout. Thanks for y'all's help and if I can't I'll give you a call Todd . Thanks for all of the help