Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the highest Exhibition run is 768 by Cranfield.
That was not an announced exhibition. Practice runs are not recognized and have no category in the BCA Rules & Records book. Further, so far as I know, it was never put forward to the BCA as a record, and it probably had no documentation, such as an affidavit with witnesses.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the highest Exhibition run is 768 by Cranfield. ...

"Arthur Cranfield aka "Babe", straight pool, 768 balls, unofficial, during a practice session (for legitimacy issues, he had witnessed runs of 493, 490, 450 and 420)"

[from the High Runs section of The HyperTexts, accuracy unknown to me]

Edit -- oops, I now see that Bob covered this a half hour ago.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That was not an announced exhibition. Practice runs are not recognized and have no category in the BCA Rules & Records book. Further, so far as I know, it was never put forward to the BCA as a record, and it probably had no documentation, such as an affidavit with witnesses.

Well, not exactly. John's was not exactly announced either, with tickets sold, though I do believe he ran 626. It seems he had some witnesses, though not a paid crowd.

As for Cranfield's run of 768, there were witnesses, but not continuously. Babe did try to document the run, but it was too difficult, given the burden of proof. He told me this, in both 1977 and 1978.

Babe's word is good with me, as I knew him well in the late 70s and early 80s. Records are debatable, aren't they? Here, we think we have an official record breaker, and yet we're still arguing.

All the best,
WW

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, not exactly. John's was not exactly announced either, with tickets sold, though I do believe he ran 626. It seems he had some witnesses, though not a paid crowd.

As for Cranfield's run of 768, there were witnesses, but not continuously. Babe did try to document the run, but it was too difficult, given the burden of proof. He told me this, in both 1977 and 1978.

Babe's word is good with me, as I knew him well in the late 70s and early 80s. Records are debatable, aren't they? Here, we think we have an official record breaker, and yet we're still arguing.

All the best,
WW

I also wanna believe John ran 626. I believe Cranfield running 768 as they say Babe Cranfield was the most honest person ever in Billiards and as for John Schmidt everyone make their own opinion. cranfield record article.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also wanna believe John ran 626. I believe Cranfield running 768 as they say Babe Cranfield was the most honest person ever in Billiards and as for John Schmidt everyone make their own opinion.View attachment 540906

Just to note in the article you posted; 'Cueball Kelly', Carl Zingale, was busted several times making counterfeit 'bathtub' perfumes and selling them as the real thing.

Honest? Maybe.

Crook? Yep.

Honest in the pool world is usually different than in the real world. :thumbup:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who got the diamonds?

I can give you 1 hour for racking/ witnessing.
After that, I need to have a turn.:sorry:

Call the 526 whatever anybody wants.
2 things for sure are the highest Exhibition run is 768 by Cranfield.
Next is 526 wasn’t Mosconis high run anyways. He told me personally in Tennessee in 1987 or 1988 at the trade show he broke 600 3 times and didn’t count them himself because he had no opponent.
These are facts and a standard we all should go by.
Oh BTW stop back in my neighborhood so we can play some more. Place in town just got 2 new 9 ft. Diamonds and just ran a 226 last Tuesday. I promise to run 100 or more this time against you.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Pleasant remembrance lol. Little sh!ts trying to mob a fool. I’ve also tossed more than 1 pork rib MRE to people over there. Nothing malicious you understand I just didn’t really give it any thought until later. Maybe I’m the devil 👿? I also gave away massive amounts of cash and electronics. Sometimes I wouldn’t barter and I would just pay the ridiculous initial price given on an item, usually marked up about 800%, if I was feeling extra jazzy.

Occasionally I rained steel on the poor folk as well though. It was my job after all and if they accepted the small $ to plant a mine or lob mortars at us they were gonna get sumpin.

A place called Keating was attacked and basically overrun by the enemy while I was there. It was the Wild West for 24 hours or so. Brutal fighting. A sky filled with aircraft at all different altitudes, trying to get these guys but not these other guys. Almost every building burning. Afghan soldiers turning on us during the fight. There were a lot of bastards over there and they had to be 13 at some time.

I got an AK strap with Islamic prayers written all over it and blood stains. It was my belt all the way until I went through customs without thinking and some navy D stole it from me.

So did John run 626 legit or did he steal candy from an Afghan kid who may or may not have been involved with the enemies of civilization? Perhaps we will never know DR

Holy shit.....

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Eh...don’t mind me I was just feeling some kind of way. I love all the peoples of the world.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haven't used a modicum since the days of AOL.
They claimed they were giving me 56kb but I never saw it. Does AOL still exist? If so, why?

I remember when AOL was getting big and the writhing, unwashed masses descended upon the innerwebz. It hasn't been the same since.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
had to laugh!

Eh...don’t mind me I was just feeling some kind of way. I love all the peoples of the world.

Had to laugh out loud, a much overused expression but true here! I suspect you love all of the peoples of the world but kinda object to those people that are trying to kill you!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't used a modicum since the days of AOL.

Sent from the future.

Yes.

Modicum, from the Latin meaning: oh shee-at.

The BCA “certification” may not be worth the paper it’s printed on. A race track guy and a PR guy with no known pool credentials (other than their paychecks reading BCA) printed up a certificate for JS.

So maybe these guys are former ACU-I champs, or state straight pool champs, or have played in some of the DCC 14.1 events, or a CSI Open event....

Lou Figueroa
a modicum of 14.1?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Had to laugh out loud, a much overused expression but true here! I suspect you love all of the peoples of the world but kinda object to those people that are trying to kill you!

Hu

Lol that’s true. I enjoyed my time over there all in all and I learned a lot about people. We’re all pretty much the same wherever we’re from, but be careful what you teach young children. They believe almost anything, especially from their parents.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
They claimed they were giving me 56kb but I never saw it. Does AOL still exist? If so, why?

I remember when AOL was getting big and the writhing, unwashed masses descended upon the innerwebz. It hasn't been the same since.

I delivered horse feed to one of the owners of AOL back in the day. I wonder if he kept up with the times.

He had a huge farm back in the sticks. Electronic gates for each stall with thick rubber mats on the ground, pools for the horses to swim in, nice clean barns and a sweet house.

I still remember the exact sounds the modem or whatever made as it did it’s thing. It sounded like you were ripping through space time

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I delivered horse feed to one of the owners of AOL back in the day. I wonder if he kept up with the times.

He had a huge farm back in the sticks. Electronic gates for each stall with thick rubber mats on the ground, pools for the horses to swim in, nice clean barns and a sweet house.

I still remember the exact sounds the modem or whatever made as it did it’s thing. It sounded like you were ripping through space time

I was at a family Thanksgiving 2 years ago.
They live in the sticks.
My uncle and I are talking football and he says
he's going to show me his fantasy team.
He goes to the computer and I'm sitting on the
couch a few feet away.
A minute or two later I hear this familiar sound.
WTF is that?
It was the AOL dial up noises:):):):)
I almost $h!t myself!
Aol is alive and well.

Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are you guys talking about such modern stuff as 56k modems? Man, when I got one of those I felt like sitting in a Ferrari. I started out with an acoustic coupler - not the fastest one of those either. AFAIR mine ran an average of 100 baud. That was REALLY SLOW. Forget graphics or music and make a cup of coffee while sending some text ... :)

But the amount of bs was minimal in the absence of the www. And Usenet was very usable back then.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are you guys talking about such modern stuff as 56k modems? Man, when I got one of those I felt like sitting in a Ferrari. I started out with an acoustic coupler - not the fastest one of those either. AFAIR mine ran an average of 100 baud. That was REALLY SLOW. Forget graphics or music and make a cup of coffee while sending some text ... :)

But the amount of bs was minimal in the absence of the www. And Usenet was very usable back then.

We are talking about modems because all of a sudden guys like logical and BJ -- who up until the point of hearing the two guys at the BCA who supposedly reviewed and certified JS' run may have questionable pool bona fides -- want to change the subject.

Before that though, they were chanting, "BCA! BCA! BCA!" pretty heartily:

It isn't up to a nationwide popular vote. It was submitted to BCA as evidence of a BCA record. They accepted it, it's done. Is it a Danny Harriman record? No, I guess not. I wasn't aware there was such a thing.

two staff members, that's twice as many as most guinness world records have when they get validated.

Rob Johnson and Shane Tyree

Sent from the future.

What if you had some evidence though?

Like perhaps one of the few long-standing organizations focused on anything having to do with billiards, who endorsed as true?

So predictable.

There is indication that 626 happened. It just doesn't meet your standard.

The bca is as close to an official organization as pool has and it has a long history of devotion to the game. Its current operational focus has little-to-zero to do with those facts.

The two people at the BCA who saw the video, Shane and Rob, are still there.

The exhibition high run record at 14.1. For further info on the record, you can contact the BCA.

So modems and AOL it is because talking about the BCA don't look so good to those guys anymore, lol.

Lou Figueroa
can't blame them

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Strange....lotta truth seekers in these 626 threads....
...I’m sure the 626 table is still there....
...it could be checked for sanded down slates.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Strange....lotta truth seekers in these 626 threads....
...I’m sure the 626 table is still there....
...it could be checked for sanded down slates.

That’s exactly what the so called BCA should have required and done before anything was confirmed. Anyways that’s what happens when they don’t have real knowledge of even what to inspect or look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.