El Cheapo vs. Quality balls............

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
First off I need not impress any one with a $400.00. Set of balls. If the roll right, look relatively clean I am ok with anything. Could be an Oakland Radiers Team set, or NHL Team, they are balls.

Fancy set will not improve your play, may make you feel better, if so go for it.

E-bay has a set called Loto, they look ok, but few reviews..

I guess I can start feeling fantastic about myself because I own 3 high quality sets of brand name balls. I refuse to buy that cheap recycled crap from Ebay because regardless of what you think cheap balls can and do play different. Fortunately there are people like *** to suck up everyone's refuse and apparently be happy about it. All one needs to do is break a rack of cheap balls on a Valley then repeat that test with a quality ball set. I have no idea why this is so apparent on Valleys but if you have ever tried this you know what I am talking about. Have good one CoCo.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shucks, Aramith claims their balls are better. Imagine that.

Next thing Coke will be claiming they are better than Pepsi.

I’ve measured ball set weights and diameters in our lab at work. Any set from the last 20 years, be it a $25 set or $250 set is ten times more consistent in size and shape than the best set before this.. Digital Machine tooling with built in adjustment is extremely precise.

As for the quality of injected resins...baloney. Aramith is full of B.s. The Cost of material is Negligible. Aramith is selling a 25 th number of balls as Chinese manufacturers. Much less cost per unit effective. Way more labour cost and way, way more marketing cost. Just as Coke spends millions to convince you it’s better than Pepsi.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shucks, Aramith claims their balls are better. Imagine that.

Next thing Coke will be claiming they are better than Pepsi.

I’ve measured ball set weights and diameters in our lab at work. Any set from the last 20 years, be it a $25 set or $250 set is ten times more consistent in size and shape than the best set before this.. Digital Machine tooling with built in adjustment is extremely precise.

As for the quality of injected resins...baloney. Aramith is full of B.s. The Cost of material is Negligible. Aramith is selling a 25 th number of balls as Chinese manufacturers. Much less cost per unit effective. Way more labour cost and way, way more marketing cost. Just as Coke spends millions to convince you it’s better than Pepsi.
Aramith doesn't make polyester balls. Those are the $40-50 crap sets out of China. AFAIK the only companies that make tournament-grade phenolic balls are Aramith/Saluc, Cosmos in Korea, and Xing Biing(makes Cyclop, Dynasphere). The problem with poly is that to get then to spec weight fillers(who knows what crap they use) have to be added. They're ok for rec-room or beer-bar but no good for tournament or commercial use.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith doesn't make polyester balls. Those are the $40-50 crap sets out of China. AFAIK the only companies that make tournament-grade phenolic balls are Aramith/Saluc, Cosmos in Korea, and Xing Biing(makes Cyclop, Dynasphere). The problem* with poly is that to get then to spec weight fillers(who knows what crap they use) have to be added. They're ok for rec-room or beer-bar but no good for tournament or commercial use.

*Unless low price is one's primary concern.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*Unless low price is one's primary concern.
Exactly. Anyone that thinks those low-end polyester balls play just as good either have never used top grade phenolics or just don't want to admit how cheap they are. Poly balls don't sound/play/feel anything like real phenolic balls. I've played in a lot of bars that use these crummy balls and they're ok for just banging around while tossin' a few back but that's about it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let the cue ball get airborne and bounce on concrete.
Please finish that thought? What is your point and what does it pertain to?:confused:

I worked in a pool room that had hundreds of spare balls in boxes and we used to bounce them from the parking lot. Like superballs they soar. Unless you get hit with one on the way up or down. They sore.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t get it, aside from the adage.....”Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. “
While I realize it always amounts to to each their own but why settle for less?

This design tries to compete with Centennials but just doesn’t quite make the cut.

Instead of settling for this imitation design, just get the original Centennial balls.
The quality is the best, specs are tight, vibrant colors & the design still ranks #1.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if you do decide to go with the cheaper product, don't expect premium quality or service.

I don’t get it, aside from the adage.....”Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. “
While I realize it always amounts to to each their own but why settle for less?

This design tries to compete with Centennials but just doesn’t quite make the cut.

Instead of settling for this imitation design, just get the original Centennial balls.
The quality is the best, specs are tight, vibrant colors & the design still ranks #1.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Aramith doesn't make polyester balls. Those are the $40-50 crap sets out of China. AFAIK the only companies that make tournament-grade phenolic balls are Aramith/Saluc, Cosmos in Korea, and Xing Biing(makes Cyclop, Dynasphere). The problem with poly is that to get then to spec weight fillers(who knows what crap they use) have to be added. They're ok for rec-room or beer-bar but no good for tournament or commercial use.

Can not understand why you could not use for a Tournment? I would bet if someone was doing a 10K add, 9 Ball Tournment, advertised they were using $29.00/Set Ball off e-bay, people would still come compete because if the 10K add.:p

Improvising, adapting, and overcoming the ball sets used.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can not understand why you could not use for a Tournment? I would bet if someone was doing a 10K add, 9 Ball Tournment, advertised they were using $29.00/Set Ball off e-bay, people would still come compete because if the 10K add.:p

That logic is flawed coz the money outweighs all other variables.

One could claim that entries into an event would decrease if it were disclosed that those ball sets would be used.

SHit...I have stopped going to tournaments that have plastic triangles, solely for that reason.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Idiot fantasy land. Hell, lets just have the Masters and use range-balls. Or lets have the World Series and use old batting cage baseballs. Or lets play the NBA Finals and use old YMCA pos basketballs. If you want to use pos cheapass balls knock yourself out but don't expect others to follow your cheap ass example.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Idiot fantasy land. Hell, lets just have the Masters and use range-balls. Or lets have the World Series and use old batting cage baseballs. Or lets play the NBA Finals and use old YMCA pos basketballs. If you want to use pos cheapass balls knock yourself out but don't expect others to follow your cheap ass example.

Here is the deal if the ball weight is equal weight, and roll OK. They are fine as I am not concerned.

At one point in my life I use to like to go out and play in bar or room tournments. Most the entry was under $10.00, the equiptment was not state of the art. We just improvised, adapted, and over came the short coming.

It was all about having some fun, no one cried it the place was not perfect. We were they to play, compete, and try to win.