I like all of them, which one first...:rolleyes:

mrpoopytime

Registered
man, I don't know what to do,
was leaning for a set of cyclops TV ones packaged with the 2 cue balls,
then the ones with the big numbered 8, 9, 10 set,
then the black and now these dyna platinum with the pac-man ghost like image,
I like all of them, which one first...:rolleyes:

hasn't cyclop gone out of business? might want to get those while you still can if true.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
I received my Tungsten Dynaspheres in yesterday, Running a few racks between work obligations this evening. So far.... impressed.

mrpoopytime

Registered
I'm glad everyone is enjoying those Dynasphere Tungstens and that I didn't steer you wrong.

But back to the gumballs and cleaning. I was wondering if anyone has noticed dark speckles on the yellow-green ball? I suspect this is some mold/mildew, as the box I received was moderately covered in mold/mildew. I tried the Aramith cleaner and even a little of the restorer but haven't had any luck removing these speckles. I'm thinking about a soak in vinegar, but I'm worried that it could damage the ball. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 20200623_214240.jpg
    20200623_214240.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 485

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hasn't cyclop gone out of business? might want to get those while you still can if true.

That's what I thought also back some time ago, website is hibernating,
then seen something that there down because of the pandemic,
but it seemed like they were out, down long ago before this virus hit.
I'm back at, better get those first.

I don't like those spots on that yellow ball, those are the $75 set?

mrpoopytime

Registered
I don't like those spots on that yellow ball, those are the $75 set?

I got my set of gumballs from an independent auction house, not the seller on ebay with the multiple sets. Although after talking with the auctioneer, I suspect mine originally came from the same batch as those selling on ebay. As I mentioned, the box that came with mine had quite a bit of mold/mildew on it and I assume that's what I'm seeing here, but the other balls in the set look fine.

I'm hoping that this is an issue limited to my set, but I do wonder why some aren't being sold with a box. Could those also have seen mold/mildew issues?

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that the specks on the ball could be mold. Mold is a fungus and as such needs food. Which the hard resin/plastic of a pool ball can't provide, IMHO. So the food would have to be on the ball itself, like a layer of grease or such. Which in turn should be removable, easily.

I may be mistaken here. Maybe those people more knowledgeable about the "ingredients" of pool balls could chime in. But so far, I can't think of anything biodegradable in pool ball resin ...

Even if it is not mold, it sounds bad. Maybe K2Kraze has a solution how to remove that ... If you have somebody around you with a microscope and biological knowledge the origins of the dots could be solved.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
The same marks are on my light yellow and cream coloured balls, Mr P. The blemishes are also of a slightly rough texture, almost like a casting flaw.

Fortunately for me, several single Hyatt balls picked up here and there over the years can be employed as near perfect replacements. :)

mrpoopytime

Registered
Alright, thank you guys for convincing me it's not a mold/mildew problem. Still a little disappointing it has these flaws, but I can live with it.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sick, not feeling so good, :(
somebody snapped up a set of those hex cyclops, new, over in the for sale section.
...gonna have to get with the program of alternate ways to pay...

The Bronx Bull

Registered
Wanted to share a custom billiard ball rack that I built this week. Just finished mounting it to my wall; it'll go nicely with my Gold Crown.

I don't have a ton of ball sets, but what's on there now:
Shelves 1/2 - Brunswick Centennials
Shelves 3/4 - Aramith Tournament
Shelves 5/6 - Albany Billiard Ball Company, older set
Shelf 7 - Assorted cue balls and specialty balls

Y4YV4bo.jpg

uJrYpQg.jpg

9DUv21v.jpg

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Bronx Bull. :)

That is awesome craftsmanship, dear fellow. Absolutely wonderful.

Thank you so much for sharing those images, sir. It is sincerely appreciated.

mrpoopytime

Registered
That rack is amazing! I've been keeping an eye out for a vintage rack like that, but now I'm thinking about trying to make my own. Where did you get the decals at?

The Bronx Bull

Registered
That rack is amazing! I've been keeping an eye out for a vintage rack like that, but now I'm thinking about trying to make my own. Where did you get the decals at?

Thanks. You can get those details at the Classic Billiards site. I, too, was looking for a vintage rack, but most of them are ridiculously expensive for some reason, and not in great shape. I'm glad I built my own, since I got to choose the stain I wanted, and design it the way I wanted.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
and... what would one charge to make a rack like that? You know, if one were asked.