Shaft weight

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone except me care about shaft weight or is it strictly hit and deflection? I ask because I have a really hard time when the shaft dips below 4oz.
I am looking to try a new shaft, preferrably OB or Mezz but I need to be certain I can get one that is at least 4oz. Does anyone know the average weight of say, an OB Classic and a Mezz WD700? Also, for anyone that knows, how would you compare the two?

Thanks,
Koop

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft length plays an intergal part in how a shaft will perform on any given cue. the mass distribution is a factor that is commonly overlooked. as to your question; i have a tiger-x/ld shaft and its is heavier than some of the others. more specifically the OB, which is filled with urethene.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you might try

koop don't know much about those shafts, but with a pro style taper 4 oz in then might be hard to find.
i don't know if you have ever tryed an recycled brunswick, old house cue, shaft, but thats about all i use now and i find a lot of 4 oz weights.
some of these old cues have tight growth rings and are very dense, and with a constant taper 4 oz is quite common.
i use a 4.2 on my playing cue, its very dark and has a few war scars on it but i love the solid feel. you might want to try an old growth or a shaft with 25 plus growth rings.

troyroy78

I can average 2 ball's :)
Silver Member
I have owned numerous mezz cues and if you get a cue with the united joint generally they come in at 4oz and above. The shafts which are lighter tend to use their wavy joint which doesn't have the brass insert

Hope this helps

Roy

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
The shaft weight and its weight distribution is influencing the feel, depending on which but. And the same shaft can work pretty different with different butts.

If it is a shaft with wooden or phenolic thread, I would say 4 oz is not too heavy and not too light weighted. If it is a metal thread a 4 oz shaft may be too light if you love front balanced cues.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I prefer a +4oz shaft as well but I adjust.

Its more about the effect it has on the balance of a cue at a given weight.

It's possible to have a cue butt made with enough forward balance to counter a light weight shaft but its something rarely done to my knowledge. This was my very first issue with LD shafts but I seemed to be the only one to care at the time. :)

Funny really when you think about the excessive details some tend to focus on in regards to cue 'feel' and such.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned numerous mezz cues and if you get a cue with the united joint generally they come in at 4oz and above. The shafts which are lighter tend to use their wavy joint which doesn't have the brass insert

Hope this helps

Roy

Can you get a United Joint for a 5/16x14 SS joint?

Thanks,
Koop

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Can you get a United Joint for a 5/16x14 SS joint?

Thanks,
Koop

Koopster!!!! How's it going, brother?

FYI - The United Joint is 5/16x14. I had a Mezz with a WD700 shaft, and I slapped it on my Murrell once or twice to try it out. The fit was just fine.

FYI - My OB Classics are over 4oz. Much like you, I prefer to have shafts as close to (or over) 4oz as possible. From what I've gathered, the OB Classic with brass insert is a great bet when it comes to the weight you're after.

Be good, chief!

M

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koopster!!!! How's it going, brother?

FYI - The United Joint is 5/16x14. I had a Mezz with a WD700 shaft, and I slapped it on my Murrell once or twice to try it out. The fit was just fine.

FYI - My OB Classics are over 4oz. Much like you, I prefer to have shafts as close to (or over) 4oz as possible. From what I've gathered, the OB Classic with brass insert is a great bet when it comes to the weight you're after.

Be good, chief!

M

That's the info I was looking for, my man.
Thanks and hope you're not in harms way.

Koop

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
You got issues man!

Rodney

Leave the man alone, Rod. Let him revel in the gloriousness that is new-toy window shopping!!! :D

Koop - In this poke-n-hope player's opinion, I think you'd be happy with either shaft. The WD700 plays good. Real good. Only drawback I found was that most of 'em available on the market are right around 12.5mm. Personally, I prefer 12.75 or greater.

Only drawback to the OB Classic...if you wanna even call it a drawback...is that it takes a LITTLE time to mentally adjust to the short-as-hell ferrule. Once I stopped staring at it on every shot...and just focused on hitting the damned ball...it all came together.

Knowing how you play, I'll hazard a guess you could make either shaft work wonders on the table.

Mark <---reminds Koop to not forget the gorgeous Rat break-and-run of 2007 at Country Club!! (aka - the greatest single game of my life) :thumbup:

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone except me care about shaft weight or is it strictly hit and deflection? I ask because I have a really hard time when the shaft dips below 4oz.
I am looking to try a new shaft, preferrably OB or Mezz but I need to be certain I can get one that is at least 4oz. Does anyone know the average weight of say, an OB Classic and a Mezz WD700? Also, for anyone that knows, how would you compare the two?

Thanks,
Koop

Just got a new WD700 shaft in march. United joint 4.25 oz. Think the OB costs less ..