Who made it?

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this cue off of eBay a few years ago for under a hundred bucks. I just thought the butt was kind of cool. Forearm looks like rosewood. Does anyone have a guess as to who made it? It originally had a nylon wrap. I took the wrap off to see what was underneath. It feels well made and I don’t think it is a cheap import. The case it came from was from a place here in Michigan called Saffron Billiards. I know Richard Chudy used to work there so I asked him if he had any guesses... he said maybe an old Rich cue or maybe an old Viking. I couldn’t find any old Vikings or Rich cues that had brass on shaft collars? I polished up the brass (it was oxidized before). Any help with this mystery would be appreciated.

A396D1DC-F553-48E9-A623-D8842A1DF1B0.jpg

8B4312DE-F47A-43A6-821F-47A7540AF5CF.jpg

A24CA5A0-2AF0-4C82-ACBB-FDC2258229E0.jpg

C3605C86-D7D5-4DF9-BCDB-2E523F4F58B4.jpg

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Abe Rich is a good guess. Would have been worth what you had in it if you left the wrap and original patina intact.

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know man it was pretty nasty and it smelled like moth balls. I would rather make it playable again...

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know man it was pretty nasty and it smelled like moth balls. I would rather make it playable again...

Say it was worth what you paid. Spend $150 for refinish and rewrap. Now it is still worth what you originally paid, no more.

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok bad analogy but it’s kinda like having a 68’ Camaro. Would I rather have one all rusted out that does not run with rotted leather seats sitting in a filthy garage with animals living in it or a nicely refinished with a new paint job and in running condition that I can actually used. Some people look for original and if it’s in good shape it makes sense. I love old school myself. I love patina and original finishes. But when it’s to a point you can’t use it then I don’t mind having it refinished. I paid maybe $30- $40 for this cue. I can afford to refinish it or ruin it for all that matters.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this cue off of eBay a few years ago for under a hundred bucks. I just thought the butt was kind of cool. Forearm looks like rosewood. Does anyone have a guess as to who made it? It originally had a nylon wrap. I took the wrap off to see what was underneath. It feels well made and I don’t think it is a cheap import. The case it came from was from a place here in Michigan called Saffron Billiards. I know Richard Chudy used to work there so I asked him if he had any guesses... he said maybe an old Rich cue or maybe an old Viking. I couldn’t find any old Vikings or Rich cues that had brass on shaft collars? I polished up the brass (it was oxidized before). Any help with this mystery would be appreciated.

Yes, Viking made lots of cues with a brass collar on the shaft like that. I am not sure about Rich on that matter.

With cues like this it seems most people will guess Rich right off the bat.

That butt sleeve looks very familiar to me but I am not sure. I'll see if I come up with it...

Does it have a brass insert?

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it has a brass insert In the shaft. There are two holes at the top and bottom where the wrap was inserted I’m not sure if that’s normal or not.

1461FB0E-C88F-4D7B-988D-04B37A3E5559.jpg

99645898-7ACB-478B-8A32-2E97317A992F.jpg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Yes, Viking made lots of cues with a brass collar on the shaft like that. I am not sure about Rich on that matter.

With cues like this it seems most people will guess Rich right off the bat.

That butt sleeve looks very familiar to me but I am not sure. I'll see if I come up with it...

Does it have a brass insert?

I don’t think o ever seen a Rich with the shaft like that. And never seen one with a butt cap like that.

Imop......it screams Viking especially with the wrap holes....that’s an American production butcher technique.......

I can’t stand wraps installed like that there is not one good reason to do that it’s just sloppy.

Originally the idea of a groove was unheard of as well wraps were overlaid as to not interfere with the construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think o ever seen a Rich with the shaft like that. And never seen one with a butt cap like that.

Imop......it screams Viking especially with the wrap holes....that’s an American production butcher technique.......

I can’t stand wraps installed like that there is not one good reason to do that it’s just sloppy.

Originally the idea of a groove was unheard of as well wraps were overlaid as to not interfere with the construction

As I said most will guess Rich right off the bat.

I didn't say that I am guessing that.

To me, nothing about the cue looks Rich.

The joint looks very Viking. The butt cap resembles some very early Viking...but not exactly. If it's a Viking it is very early, maybe even before they were branded Viking. But then the joint pin looks wrong...so not sure.

I still think I have seen that butt sleeve before, and I mean exactly that. Makes me wonder if I might be remembering the original Ebay ad.

At this point I am saying I don't know but have ruled out a lot off possibilities.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
As I said most will guess Rich right off the bat.

I didn't say that I am guessing that.

To me, nothing about the cue looks Rich.

The joint looks very Viking. The butt cap resembles some very early Viking...but not exactly. If it's a Viking it is very early, maybe even before they were branded Viking. But then the joint pin looks wrong...so not sure.

I still think I have seen that butt sleeve before, and I mean exactly that. Makes me wonder if I might be remembering the original Ebay ad.

At this point I am saying I don't know but have ruled out a lot off possibilities.

I wasn't trying to correct you just agreeing and adding to it....you know my way of communication is...unique lol.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saffron Billiard Supply was in Ferndale Michigan, suburban Detroit. Al Saffron and wife were the owners and nice people. That looks like it might be a National Tournament Cue or RichQ from 70’s. East Indian Rosewood Merry Widow. BTW, cuemaker Richard Chudy used to be an employee there back then. He was on the table recovering crew.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Saffron Billiard Supply was in Ferndale Michigan, suburban Detroit. Al Saffron and wife were the owners and nice people. That looks like it might be a National Tournament Cue or RichQ from 70’s. East Indian Rosewood Merry Widow. BTW, cuemaker Richard Chudy used to be an employee there back then. He was on the table recovering crew.

Have you seen another example of a rich with a “half joint” brass collar on shaft? That’s why I don’t think it’s a rich. He was a wood turner and didn’t really use metal anywhere that I’ve ever known except the butts joint, which are premades.....

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kind of a WAG, but could it be a cue sold by A E Schmidt?

Last edited:

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of a WAG, but could it be a cue sold by A E Schmidt?

The screw in the butt looks like it could be and they had the metal on the shafts, plus weren’t they a supplier for pool table companies? I think that may be a pretty good guess.