Wheel chair story to share. Motivational to say the least..

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This story is about a freind of mine. His name is Bill Frisby. Bill just turned 77 yesterday. He called me a couple of days before and told me he needed some help. I told him sure. Where and When? He said he could meet me at Shooters at 2:00 Tuesday. The day before his 77th birthday.

As I was watching Bill during the lesson I could quickly see what was going on. He's left eye dominant and was more out by his right eye with the cue. Also when he was aiming his eyes were back and forth to the cue ball and object ball very quickly when he was on his final stroke.

He could hardly make a ball. It was painful to watch him play because I knew he could play so much better. A few years back I worked with Bill to play in a World Wheel chair event. He got playing real sporty I don't think he made it to that big tournament because of some health issues many of the players in wheel chairs have to deal with.

After dealing with my own neck fusion and my left eye going real bad. I had to move the cue out over my right eye like I was aiming like a gun. I got playing pretty good like that so I thought, let's try this.

Bill is right handed and left eye dominant and complained about his neck getting so sore. Plus I could see if he could do this like I did it would take a lot of pressure off the neck having the cue under his right eye.

We worked on this for about an hour with mixed results. Then we went to work on the eyes and getting him to stare at the object ball when he was on his final stroke.

After about an hour Bill commented on how much pressure this had taken off his neck. Not only being in a wheelchair but being 77, the neck isn't quite as flexible as it was once upon a time.

Little by little we edged towards our goal. Making balls again consistently. You see Bill hasn't played much for the last 6 months. Another issue to deal with being a little rusty.

After we felt like things were under control I figured Bill would have to work at it for awhile and soon things would come back together for him.

As we were departing Bill asked me if they still had the handicap tourney at Shooters on Wed nite. I told him yes and he replied that he might stop in and see what he could do.

I was coming down with something but I told him I would come play also. I really wanted to see how he was doing and wanted to be there if he had any more questions.

Bill played in this a couple of years back and was rated an A+. Pretty fair rating as far as Bills normal skill level was.

His first match he played a player that was a AA rating and beat him 5-0. The player came over to me complaining that Bill's rating was too low. I let him complain a little more and then I replied.

I told him can you even imagine the health problems that many of these players in wheelchairs have on top of having to play sitting down.. I don't think Bill hardly missed a ball during the match. Even myself as I watched was thinking <, You got to be kidding. Put a big smile on my face.

I watched Bill play the next match and was equally impressed.

I left after that heading to the gym to workout and then go home.

Got up today and about 4:00 PM got a call from Bill.

There was 24 players in this tournament so I knew it was going to be a late one. Bill had told me he stayed in a motel overnight and didn't get much sleep. Plus don't forget that Bill is only 77 years old and this is his birthday.

Finally he breaks the news to me. He told me that he made it to the hot seat. He had to beat a bunch of players to get there. I told him contrats, I could hardly believe what I had just heard. 2 days ago This old guy, my freind Bill in the wheelchair was having trouble making a ball. Now he's telling me he won the hotseat match.

At that time it was 2:00 AM in the morning. Bill had a lady freind with him and he decided to leave, take second, because there was still 3 matches to play before he would finally get to play. Had a few real slow players in the tournament wed nite. Bill would have been playing at about 4:00AM if he waited.

All in all I'd have to say that my freind Bill has more heart than anyone I know bar none. This was a performance that I wish I would have stayed and watched the whole night. One of those special moments in pool that are never forgotten by myself and I'm sure not by Bill either.

Next time I complain about neck fusion or a little heart surgery or being 66 and play a little bad I just need to think about my freind Bill Frisby, 77 years old playing from a wheelchair and playing great all night long. Heart of a lion for sure.

This is one of the toughest handicap tournaments to win in the country and if someone doesn't think so come and get you some.

That's all I got to say. Unbelievable. So proud of my freind Bill......

Last edited:

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing your story! It's great to read stories like these, it's more than Bill winning second place at a tough tournament.........its the time and effort that the two of you put in that made the story great!

Sent from my mobular device!