APA US Amateur is triple tough

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to pull this too far off the road but I don't believe your way is paid to the tourney but instead you are given a partial room to stay in. I could be wrong though. I really see both sides on this one. I know for certain I would be really proud to place well in this tourney.

It's definitely a well run tourney from what I've heard so I'll give them that.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to pull this too far off the road but I don't believe your way is paid to the tourney but instead you are given a partial room to stay in. I could be wrong though. I really see both sides on this one. I know for certain I would be really proud to place well in this tourney.
It's definitely a well run tourney from what I've heard so I'll give them that.
These are held in many different cities. No heavy duty travel.
Hotel is fully paid for if qualified:
Those competing in the U.S. Amateur Championship will receive 3 nights complimentary private lodging for
Thursday, Nov. 7, through and including Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019. For those players who advance to the matches on Sunday, we will also cover your lodging on Sunday, Nov. 10 in addition to the other three nights. APA will also cover an additional night of lodging for those players still competing on Sunday.
If someone can't afford $50 or $75, they're in bad shape.
The only other valid reason is fear of failure or knowing you're just not good enough to begin with, even for the qualifier.
If the Bobby Stovall who finished second this year is the same Bobby Stovall I know from the old Green Room in Atlanta, he is one helluva player. That's an indicator of how good those guys hit 'em.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
How many have been kicked out for being too good for the APA?

I don’t think they discriminate much for this one, as long as your not a nicknamed pro. That dude Abrin Shaad has a 738 Fargo and I saw some others pretty high.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
In the mens division, if you win the prelim you get entry to the main as well as three nights hotel. The hotel has changed over the years but the APA usually picks a nice hotel and each player gets their own room.

This is one of my favorite events but it is a big time commitment since the prelims are often 3 days (the nearest one to me in port st lucie was again three days long this year). Getting two or even three days off of work for one pool tourny is kinda tough.

The national event is not only one of the best run events ive played in but what makes it great to me is the players are there for the love of competition mostly. I know that you dont have to be an APA player to compete in it but nearly all the players are APA players.The APA definitely has a group of great players that regularly play this event as well as singles and team/master at nationals that are run in the spring and summer. Its like the gathering of the tribe of super 7s nationwide in palm harbor each November.

Sure there is the single big jackpot prize for 1st that nowadays is probably worth 3-4k since its hotel, air and the $1k entry to the us open but most the people i've met at the event are there because they love pool and love to compete. The camaraderie among the players and sportsmanship ive seen at this event is a breath of fresh air compared to the shenanigans that often happen at cash events.

The other thing great about this event is that Jose Del Rio, the owner of strokers in palm harbor, each year hosts the event with passion. There is a welcome breakfast for the player the first day. The pool room bans smoking for the event. The tables get new simonis in the lead up to the event. The room is dedicated to the us ams Fri to sunday and now that the womens event was held there its wed and thurs as well. Jose need to be credited for all he does to help this event because it is no small commitment and he has been a reliable supporter of the event for so many year now. btw, Jose is also a great player (fargo 665) and competed at this event this year.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500 said:
"These are held in many different cities. No heavy duty travel."

And

"The only other valid reason is fear of failure or knowing you're just not good enough to begin with, even for the qualifier."

Wrong on both counts. The final is in Florida so major travel is required. "Fear of failure" has nothing to do with it either for most of us. It's just not worth the time and money. Lastly, I could have sworn they don't even comp you your own room but try to get you to share, but that sounds so ridiculous as I type it I can't even believe it and am probably misremembering that.

If I lived near the final site I would probably try it every year.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the mens division, if you win the prelim you get entry to the main as well as three nights hotel. The hotel has changed over the years but the APA usually picks a nice hotel and each player gets their own room.

This is one of my favorite events but it is a big time commitment since the prelims are often 3 days (the nearest one to me in port st lucie was again three days long this year). Getting two or even three days off of work for one pool tourny is kinda tough.

The national event is not only one of the best run events ive played in but what makes it great to me is the players are there for the love of competition mostly. I know that you dont have to be an APA player to compete in it but nearly all the players are APA players.The APA definitely has a group of great players that regularly play this event as well as singles and team/master at nationals that are run in the spring and summer. Its like the gathering of the tribe of super 7s nationwide in palm harbor each November.

Sure there is the single big jackpot prize for 1st that nowadays is probably worth 3-4k since its hotel, air and the $1k entry to the us open but most the people i've met at the event are there because they love pool and love to compete. The camaraderie among the players and sportsmanship ive seen at this event is a breath of fresh air compared to the shenanigans that often happen at cash events.

The other thing great about this event is that Jose Del Rio, the owner of strokers in palm harbor, each year hosts the event with passion. There is a welcome breakfast for the player the first day. The pool room bans smoking for the event. The tables get new simonis in the lead up to the event. The room is dedicated to the us ams Fri to sunday and now that the womens event was held there its wed and thurs as well. Jose need to be credited for all he does to help this event because it is no small commitment and he has been a reliable supporter of the event for so many year now. btw, Jose is also a great player (fargo 665) and competed at this event this year.

Well said David. Seeing the guys year after year is something i look forward too. I even had an opponent i beat in a previous year message me congratulations on my performance this year. By the way, missed you. Save some vacation time so you can make it next year.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall anyone ever downplaying the difficulty of winning this tourney (or finishing high). It's just an awfully expensive tourney for those of us outside the region.

Congrats to those that played well.

The people who have a rabid hate of all things APA are the voices we're referring to. They don't care that its really like an open event or APA Masters.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a great showing Dave! Congrats on your great play! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I got ninth. Fargo of 639. Small number of scores to get that rating though. I lost to Rowell and Leigh by scores of 7-5 both matches

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see I was wrong about the rooms. Lol. Not sure where I heard that one.

In the event's early years, the APA would pay for the room if you shared it with another player. If you opted for a single instead, you paid half of the room cost.

Edit -- don't know for sure when that practice started and ended.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the actual apa singles tournament in vegas they try to get you to share a room, most times with a stranger. That doesn't happen at this tournament.

Your team gets money for air fare and rooms no one has to share if they don’t want to. Lol

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I got ninth. Fargo of 639. Small number of scores to get that rating though. I lost to Rowell and Leigh by scores of 7-5 both matches

I played Rowell in the qualifier final. I had him down 4-1 then things went south..Lost 11-7

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the actual apa singles tournament in vegas they try to get you to share a room, most times with a stranger. That doesn't happen at this tournament.

Your team gets money for air fare and rooms no one has to share if they don’t want to. Lol

Jokes on you Trob, we are talking about singles not teams. Last time i played apa singles in vegas they only paid for half the room unless you shared a room with another person who qualified.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jokes on you Trob, we are talking about singles not teams. Last time i played apa singles in vegas they only paid for half the room unless you shared a room with another person who qualified.

What? You have to share a room with a complete
stranger?
I could see this going very wrong.
Who would do that?
If you need to save $40-60 per night that bad you do not belong
on vacation, much less in Vegas.
Thats craziness.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
What? You have to share a room with a complete
stranger?
I could see this going very wrong.
Who would do that?
If you need to save $40-60 per night that bad you do not belong
on vacation, much less in Vegas.
Thats craziness.

Where’s your sense of adventure Think? Who knows what kind of fun and interesting things could come of it?

Though with some bad luck you might find yourself stuck with a “no personal hygiene” type.

I liked the army and various other things just because you were always getting saddled with some stranger

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where’s your sense of adventure Think? Who knows what kind of fun and interesting things could come of it?

Though with some bad luck you might find yourself stuck with a “no personal hygiene” type.

I liked the army and various other things just because you were always getting saddled with some stranger

I think I have gotten too old and crabby with a lower
tolerance of others in close quarters.

My ability to take on risk in those situations
is at an all-time low.

They could smell, steal, be messy, bring a hot plate and
make smelly food, come in loud and drunk at all hours
( with or without company),
worst of all they might snore.

I would be afraid. Very afraid.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... worst of all they might snore.

That happened to me at a tournament with "lodging provided" at a dorm in GA. My roomie was like a buzz saw. To help matters it was about 80 degrees at 10PM. Air conditioning? Ha! At least it wasn't the party room. That was down the hall.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Or they could be a girl.

;)

I think I have gotten too old and crabby with a lower
tolerance of others in close quarters.

My ability to take on risk in those situations
is at an all-time low.

They could smell, steal, be messy, bring a hot plate and
make smelly food, come in loud and drunk at all hours
( with or without company),
worst of all they might snore.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or they could be a girl.

;)

A woman, who is single and un accompanied at a national pool tournament, and they are willing to share a room with a total stranger
picked at random.

I will take my chances with the drunk smelly klepto cooking lutefisk who snores like a freight train. ;)

Last edited: