Top current pool players – 70+ years of age

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was very impressed at this man's game, especially just months removed from open-heart surgery.

Maniac

I'm amazed at how well he pockets balls- at such an advanced age and also with such an upright stance. I can't make balls shooting with such a stance.

Also, to add another guy to the list. I know Jay Helfert isn't a former pro, but he shoots very well and I think he is around 75. I had the pleasure of shooting with him at his house a while back and he could easily run through a 9 ball rack on his tough Diamond.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Ray Martin can still hit them pretty good. He’s just down the road from you in Raleigh. I think he’s 176 now. Or close.
Getting to 176 is quite an accomplishment just by itself.

Sent from the future.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy is my age now. Nick is probably in stroke,he always was in my opinion and Ray Martin
could be as good as anyone

How did us kids get to be so old so quick

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I spoke to Pete Margo maybe over 10 years ago. He still played but he did not feel his game was super strong anymore.

If Mike Massey (age 72) spent more time playing tournaments, he would be pretty competitive. He looks fantastic on the table. For a big man, he's as smooth as glass.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Although my community is not a retirement community, there are a lot of retired people here in their 70's. Many are healthy as horses, walk the course daily (6.5 miles up and down hills) and shoot their age on a pretty tough golf course. I am pretty impressed that somebody in their 70's doesn't have to be "old" anymore. These people are on the go constantly. Tennis, pickle ball, you name it. My dentist is around 60 now and just completed a full Iron Man triathlon in Arizona.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Billy is my age now. Nick is probably in stroke,he always was in my opinion and Ray Martin
could be as good as anyone

How did us kids get to be so old so quick

Dean, you and others have mentioned the Cotton Bowling Palace so much that I looked it up last night to learn more. Here's some of what I read -- Oilman J. Curtis Sanford, who started the Cotton Bowl football game, opened the Cotton Bowling Palace in 1959, with Jayne Mansfield doing grand-opening honors. It had 44 lanes plus a barber shop, a beauty parlor, a restaurant, and a pool room. It closed in 1983. The building was then a car parts warehouse for a while, followed by a used car facility for a nearby Ford dealer. It was torn down in 2007. A Lowe's is now on the site.

Does all that sound accurate to you? Oh, I read mention of some top-notch pool players hanging around there quite a bit.:)

And the same man (Sanford) also built other bowling alleys in Dallas, including the Bronco Bowl in Oak Cliff in 1961. It had 78 lanes and lots of other entertainment, including a 3,000 seat concert hall! The Bronco Bowl also had pool tables; did you guys spend time there as well?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayne Mansfield doing grand-opening honors.

Wow, Jayne Mansfield :thumbup:

fe6716f18769ae40912c42672175aa27--sophia-loren-covergirl.jpg

s-l400.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cotton Bowling Palace follow up for At Large

your informtion is correct

It had 10 or so pool tables and was open 24 hours a day
Dallas was a bedroom community with very few if any other all nightspots

As a result it attracked the night life crowd,after hours,pool took off

Gangsters,ladies of the night,and that sort gravitated to the place

suddenly gambling became glamorous in this environment and billy Stroud slipped in,
a clean cut almost shy college kid and started playing the bookies ,gangsters and road players.

I have never seen anything like it as far as pool goes.I was not much of a player either then or since,but i caught on to the idea under the se examples.

years later I made the last score at the location in the old building when it became Highland Park Ford

Inspired by the old magic at the Ford dealership I won several thousand dollars while shopping for a car for my kids some 20 years ago,

Since then I seldom get by that part of town,but if it were still the place it was, I would not be surprised to see many of you guys vacationing in Dallas just to see another side of life.

Bill Porter may have some pictures ofthe place and some of the chacters. Titanic Thompson,George McGann,RD Matthews, ,Billy Stroud, alfie Taylor,his brother jack, I forget the name of the car dealer bookie on Ross Avenue, Oak Cliff Shorty, Cornbread Red,Fats,UJ Puckett,,Vernon litton,Johnny little Page,Boston Shorty, I could go on but I promised to stop spamming

Last edited: