Too many organizations!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So there is another ranking list from Matchroom now https://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/14963-matchroom-pool-launches-world-rankings/

WPA, BCA, now Matchroom, Fargo (not quite the same or used by WPA or BCA for events, but really the same since it ranks "pro" players), all rank players and I'm sure all lists are different.

Reminds me of the wrestling thing where there were like a half dozen wrestling organizations each with it's own area and stars, confusing and messy.

It does seem like the pool world is heading towards a consolidation with Matchroom running everything including pro snooker seeing how they are buying out rights to so many major events. Matchroom = WWF/WWE? Would be interesting to see snooker and pool combined under the same umbrella, they can have undercard 9 ball matches before snooker matches or something LOL

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Fargo (not quite the same or used by WPA or BCA for events, but really the same since it ranks "pro" players), ...
"Ranking" is based on recent tournament play, generally only over the last year, and only in "ranking" events. Fargo is a "rating" based on all "known" games a player has played. (Here "known" means that the games satisfy basic requirements that make the data more reliable.)

Rankings encourage players to play in events to get ranking points, which in turn may qualify players for other events. Fargo is just a measure of each player's ability compared to all other rated players.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Ranking" is based on recent tournament play, generally only over the last year, and only in "ranking" events. Fargo is a "rating" based on all "known" games a player has played. (Here "known" means that the games satisfy basic requirements that make the data more reliable.)

Rankings encourage players to play in events to get ranking points, which in turn may qualify players for other events. Fargo is just a measure of each player's ability compared to all other rated players.

Yes, that's why I put in Fargo is a sort of rating system. Having all sorts of different ones just makes a big mess for players.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Too many orginizations was the title, yes their are too many orginizations IMHO. But Pool has not decided to be under one orginizations, so until that change all the big fish each with their own pond will be happy.

Most real professional sport have one governing body, set of rules, and see to attract for sponsor dollars then Pool.

Anyone agree?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't pool more mainstream when all that didn't exist?

PBT and Camel tour were pretty much it back when I started playing, ESPN matches, 50k year end point pot payed out to the top players that played in a real rotating tour with different stops. Seems to have worked. Of course that was the second pool boom with Color Of Money and the higher end pool halls and chains opening up all over the place.

At this point I would not mind Matchroom consolidating the current mess into something global so there is one ranking and chances for players to play in events with enough money so that you don't need to finish top 8 to break even after expenses out of 128 players. With them buying up the rights to the names and the events I would not be surprised to see some sort of co-branding and co-habitation with the snooker tour and some pro pool tour with actual rankings to climb to be able to play in pro events, just like you need to do with snooker and golf. They can even use the existing tours like Mezz, Predator and Joss tours that have a good regional base as sort of a qualifier tour to get into the Pro events with larger prizes and entry fees.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom is a private organization and is certainly allowed to publish the criteria that will be used by them to assess players for their own events. That's all it is.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Just get all of the pro players together, have them elect a leader and create a single organization that is both just and fair. Should be easy. I can help you with the logo when it's done.

I'm free next week.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The opposite of what it is now... :confused:

Understand, and I still think Pool would be strong with only one orginizations, one set of rules, both amature & profesionals.

When was the last time a PGA, or LPGA won a Tournment, and got paid with rubber check that bounced?