Picture of a hustler at work

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't seem possible but it was 20 years agwhen this episode occured.
someone might point out that all my episodes were at least that long ago.

why do we think pool is glamorous,most of the time it involves a dingy smokey pool room. You guys are always asking for great hustling stories,so here is a picture of a true great,a master of the art at work.
the scene is Rusty's next to baby Dolls on North West highway or was it Loop 12, it wasn't what the old Cotton Bowling Palace was,but it was full of high dollar action 24/7.

i waled into the room to see Max,Dallas highest playing bookie ,a guy who made Dallas a major stop off place for every hustler who you ever heard of..Max could play pool and play pretty good,he was no pigeon but he could be beat and when he lost,he sailed

In other words he went off,he lost big,so if you could get Max down you might get a big paycheck. this game was one of great interest and a large crowd of onlookers,sweaters,rail birds were enamored by the play.

Max and Jack,no strangers at this game and they locked horns,the bet was high as it usually was and everyone expected Jack to snap off Max,but the game was handicapped by two of the finest. .Ended up Max getting 9 to6 and his scratches didn't count.

9 to 6 is a lot of weight,but when his scratches didn't count this multiplied the handicap greatly. You ask ,"how much?"
I couldn't really say. Not because I am being modest,I considered myself well versed in the art of the match up,but this was relatively unheard of,but Jack was smart

Jacks wife Barbara was pacing the floor,Barbara is the greatest living hustler ever,she is pacing the floor.
I ask""whats happening"

she reoplies "jack won't listen to me'
Oh

yes,he is losing,he is not listening,everything we own, 10 years winnings,and they were considerable

Why

i wish i knew, jack honey ,lets talk
jack is wearing big tortoise shelled glasses and looks like an accountant,but he says,Barbara,I am about to turn it around

no honey you're not,lets take our loss and leave ,we'll be ok

Just a few more Barbara,what's a few thousand more?

Jack ,,this Max,this is no small town square

It will be ok honey,please,get me a drink and i will get this money

Well you get the picture

that was the scene when I last saw Jack Coomey

Barbara was working the room,oh is she beautiful when she works a room

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I did promise not to spam,so if you guys think I need to quit telling stories like this
just say so
drop me a PM

no foolin you guys want me to go I go

you can get back to the good stuff

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I did promise not to spam,so if you guys think I need to quit telling stories like this
just say so
drop me a PM

Telling pool related stories in the main forum is not spam.

I believe this story happened closer to 40 years ago.

I would like to hear about Torpredo Max.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
torpedo is not right,i used to think so too

Max explained it to me as a spanish word possibly meaning little squirrell or something.As you know 40 years or so is a long time

Max ran into me a few times in the last few years,he seems t be doing well and called over here while I was playing Tommy rey bout 4 months ago,they talked and Max just said hello without saying much

he is one of the guys i like and see but don't really run around , I first met him when he beat Joe Salazar in the 70s,Maxbusted Joe on a bar box.this should never have happened as Joe was the best in the world at that time+

Sorry I don't have any real news on Max other than he seems well and happy.he seldom plys pool anymore,but neither does tommy or even billy

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Dean,

Was "MAX" also known as 'MAD MAX"

apprx 5' 7" to 5" 9"

sharp dresser

Seems like i remember him playing Tommy ray (might have been lizard that he was playing)

Was Salazar giving up weight when they played on a bar box, if not and he beat Joe i had max's game way under clocked

also, what's the next chapter in the Jack/Max match......was Jack giving up weight?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just say so
drop me a PM

Spam is throwing ads in posts. Telling stories is not spam unless you toss in an ad for some mystery cue or table or whatever you're hustlin' at the time.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picture of a hustler? From dean?
I thought this is going to be good. Not
Mislead again :)
Wheres the picture?

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Here you go.

Attachments

• 20200128_203108.jpg
    20200128_203108.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 891

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest of te story

I saw everyone betting on max because Barbara was worried
I figured out immediately that Jack was Jack cConey and must be laying down a spread

I began to cover bets on Cooney, I figured out the whole thing and went to work

Well Jack kept losing until he ran out of money
I followed suit and quit because the game was over

I looked to Barbara
She said"i told you he wouldn't listen"
I loked at Jack and said "i thought you must have the best of it because you bet"

he said"i started to quit but when i saw you betting I figured it must be the nuts"

What could we do but smile and pay the patrons of the game.

The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest of te story

I saw everyone betting on max because Barbara was worried
I figured out immediately that Jack was Jack cConey and must be laying down a spread

I began to cover bets on Cooney, I figured out the whole thing and went to work

Well Jack kept losing until he ran out of money
I followed suit and quit because the game was over

I looked to Barbara
She said"i told you he wouldn't listen"
I loked at Jack and said "i thought you must have the best of it because you bet"

he said"i started to quit but when i saw you betting I figured it must be the nuts"

What could we do but smile and pay the patrons of the game.

The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray

Great story Dean, I enjoyed it!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anymore stories about Jack? The last few years of his career he played out of Hard Times in Bellflower. I watched him take down Toby of Las Vegas for 40K. During this time he never matched up bad. His final run was a thing of beauty. Toby again, This time in Las Vegas. Jack played bad enough to drop a large sum while James Walden's backer watched. Seems Cliff Joyner's .backers either heard or were there as well. Games were arranged for 50 &100. On to Oklahoma. Jack won. On to the deep South. Jack won. Now back to Las Vegas where he won his money back from Toby. (Jay disagrees with me on this point. I only know about this from hearing a conversation with Jack, Mark Betar and another guy.) That was it for Jack. Only saw him a few times at HT after that but heard he was playing golf and working for Mark. Rumor was his golf game was good enough for him to hustle here and there.

First match at HT was 8 ahead and when I had to leave early morning Jack was down 6 games. Incardonna was talking to him in the restroom during a break. As I was walking out I stopped and talked briefly with "Lil" Al Romero who told me that Jack was going to win even though he was down 6 games. "Jack is going to win. He is a warrior." Took 3 days but "Likl"Al was right.

Good times!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy Incardone,I see him every so often,we eat visit. He tells me stories

There is a national treasure.billy was the best player in the world for a time

He personifies a certainage of pool,Golden/silver

Of course I mean money player. he is the real thing,9 ball Billy

I think he won more than anyone,

Billy stroud keeps wanting me to get Billy incardone to play him.

Now Stroudwas my hero, I saw him beat every body,win a fortune and such,but when he wants to play Billy incardone i get scared.

COONEY STORY

It was over 20 years ago the last time I saw Jack Cooney

I had been playing Harry Platis in Reno at the world 9 bll championship

keith persuaded Harry to quit and take him for a partner against me

I looked around the room of nearly 300 sweaters ,Buddy, G,Nick,,Cooney,and several others Paul mottey,terry romine, and tons of other great players who were watching Harry and me. Not that either one of us could play so good,but we were willing to bet it up.I think we played for $1000 a game

So I offered to take Jack cooney and play for a couple of thousand,Keith said fine but Jack announced to the crowd"no way I take a partner that barely knows how to play"

I could have been deflated when my game was maligned ,but I took it fairly well,looked at the ground ,kicked the dust( see i was a baseball player through and through)

about that time Nick Varner said"i will take Dean and things were just looking up when Keith said "and we need 8 to 6"

I mumbled something like "you got to be kidding"

Keith gave me a look that said"that's Nick Varner,and I'm not stupid"

From there things went south in a handbasket,the crowd I had gathered ,thinking I could plasy the crowd for huge sidebets suddenly dispersed leaving me

1000 miles from home and nobody to play

My daughter was asleep in the room and wanted to go to Disney Land and that is where we went and I haven't seen Jack Cooney since,we were never really close friends or anytjing but mutiual interest made us strange partners a time or two. Jack is really a great guy and played really good one pocket way above my level
and I was too leery to play against him,meaning Bushwacker had beat me when I thought I had the nuts and I wasn't sure wat the nuts were if I did play Jack so we never played and I lived to tell stories bankroll in tack

it is hard to believe i would miss an opportunity to bet on stroud, but when I think of betting against billy Incardone it gives me the shakes

You can see how spineless I have become in old age, I didn't used to be afraid of losing

Last edited: