Etiquette Question

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how others feel about an opponent who takes every opportunity he can to wipe the cue ball clean? I’m not referring to marking it and cleaning it in the middle of a game, but specifically between every game, even games in which the player may not be breaking.

This is something I do myself when either playing in a tournament here or playing a $ session. We generally play winner of the previous game racks their own and breaks, which gives an opponent ample time to wipe off the cue ball without holding up the breaker.

Personally, I guess I’m just spoiled and like a clean as possible cue ball. With chalk marks on the cue ball being the likely main cause of skids, My feeling is that it is not only the courteous thing to do for both players, but I also feel I have a right to try to clean the cue ball whenever I can, to prevent myself from potentially missing a key shot due to a skid. Opinions?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Just curious how others feel about an opponent who takes every opportunity he can to wipe the cue ball clean? I’m not referring to marking it and cleaning it in the middle of a game, but specifically between every game, even games in which the player may not be breaking.

This is something I do myself when either playing in a tournament here or playing a $ session. We generally play winner of the previous game racks their own and breaks, which gives an opponent ample time to wipe off the cue ball without holding up the breaker.

Personally, I guess I’m just spoiled and like a clean as possible cue ball. With chalk marks on the cue ball being the likely main cause of skids, My feeling is that it is not only the courteous thing to do for both players, but I also feel I have a right to try to clean the cue ball whenever I can, to prevent myself from potentially missing a key shot due to a skid. Opinions?

Bring that up when you match up.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a habit of doing that before I break
and when the ball hits the floor. Never
heard a peep from anyone about it.

Unless you are cleaning it for 10 min
each time like your trying to get ebola
off the ball. That could be some cause
for concern.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring that up when you match up.
I guess I could do that in advance, but I have never had a problem with an opponent who questioned me for making the attempt to clean the cue ball, before their break. Obviously it would be a lot harder to do if I had to rack for their break.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I also feel I have a right to try to clean the cue ball whenever I can, to prevent myself from potentially missing a key shot due to a skid. Opinions?
If you're concerned about skids, and people are using phenolic tips to break and jump, you might consider a stand-in cue ball so the main cue ball is never contacted by a phenolic tip. Break balls used to be fairly standard (but before my time).

I have no problem with cleaning, but I start to get suspicious when my opponent puts the CB in his pocket to clean it.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Have you run into problems with opponents when doing this?
If it's between racks I doubt most people would even notice

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I do the same thing for the same reason. Ive never been questioned about it. In my mind, its good etiquette and it makes sense.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Between games sure polish all you want. If you have time, empty the ashtrays, shine my shoes and just generally tidy the place up a bit.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do the same thing for the same reason. Ive never been questioned about it. In my mind, its good etiquette and it makes sense.
I was playing Earl in a tournament a few years ago. He got a horrible skid -- one of the worst I've ever seen -- that caused him to miss a 100% shot. He makes comments of disbelief. I agree with his comments, then, "Uh, Earl, would it be OK if we cleaned the cue ball?" "No." I didn't bother to ask the TD for a second opinion.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
that is funny!

I was playing Earl in a tournament a few years ago. He got a horrible skid -- one of the worst I've ever seen -- that caused him to miss a 100% shot. He makes comments of disbelief. I agree with his comments, then, "Uh, Earl, would it be OK if we cleaned the cue ball?" "No." I didn't bother to ask the TD for a second opinion.

Bob,

LOL is overused and abused but I did! Why in the world not clean the cue ball after a skid if you didn't before? Hoping the pool god's will even the score and give the other person a skid?

As to the cue ball cleaning question that started this thread, I have cleaned them a lot, not cleaned, never seemed to matter. If somebody asked why I cleaned the cue ball the answer would probably be damned if I know! I cleaned cue balls that got a lot of chalk on them because I didn't like looking at them. I don't mind others cleaning cue balls unless they are doing it while acting like my consumption was contageous!

Bob again, I am well on the short side of a hunnert and have seen break balls in use, seen them being played with full time when the owner wasn't in the mood to buy cue balls too. Might be fun to post signs that anyone using a break cue must provide their own break ball too!

Hu

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're concerned about skids, and people are using phenolic tips to break and jump, you might consider a stand-in cue ball so the main cue ball is never contacted by a phenolic tip. Break balls used to be fairly standard (but before my time).

I have no problem with cleaning, but I start to get suspicious when my opponent puts the CB in his pocket to clean it.
As the room owner as well as a player who plays in some of our tournaments, I think it would be asking a little much to require players breaking with a phenolic tip to use a different cue ball (presumably an older already scarred cue ball) for their breaks and change the cue ball out after they break. Yes, I realize certain phenolic tips can impart permanent half-moon scars on cue balls, but it doesn’t seem to have been a problem with the red circle cue balls we are currently using.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it's my break, I don't want anyone other than myself or a ref to touch the cb.

I been hoodwinked to many times....

Jeff

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it's your turn at the table you have have full control. Don't let anyone take that away from you or rush you along.

If your opponent has an issue with what you do while in control, you just have to remind them that if they played better, they wouldn't' be sitting in a chair waiting for you to clean the cue ball.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wipe the cb on my shirt anytime I'm breaking or have BIH. Sometimes I wipe my boogies on my shirt also;) :D:D:D:D

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wipe the cb on my shirt anytime I'm breaking or have BIH. Sometimes I wipe my boogies on my shirt also;) :D:D:D:D

I've played with people that spit on the cb when they clean it.

Jeff <<<<<< not a fan of germs...

Not a germaphobe or anything. I just cant stand:yikes::eek:

Like I said though, I'm not a germaphobe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:rolleyes:

Jeff

:barf:

Not a problem, seriously.:eek:uttahere:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if playing for a lot of money dont even think about altering any equipment during the game without permission. sure in a tournament if the rules allow of in a cheap or fun game. but then who cares.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Me as well.

How would you classify your boogies, slick or sticky?

Hu

As a rule, mine are dry. But sometimes, you reach up in there, and start picking out a crusty one. Then as it starts to lift, it is pulling a mucus tail out of the nostril. You know those ones that are kind or firm near the crusty side, and almost watery at the tip.

Those are the kind that sometimes leave a big wet spot on your upper lip should you carelessly pull it out and let the mucus tail flop around.

Sometimes though, I get what I call glue boogers. Those are the ones that are almost like rubber cement, but they are wet and sticky at first.

You can usually roll those around for a while to dry them out, then have a nice hard little booger you can toss and listen for the landing. :thumbup: