how are ya'll doing in league ?

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
I didn't play in our 8-ball match this week. I did do a decent job captaining the team, tho...set up my game plan on who to play, who to throw, and hopefully draw out the opposing teams players that I wanted for match ups. Every throw went exactly as I hoped.

We won all five matches.

We're still in first place. We play the second place team next week, and I'm already stewing on lineup decisions :p

Sounds exactly like our captain:cool:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't play in our 8-ball match this week. I did do a decent job captaining the team, tho...set up my game plan on who to play, who to throw, and hopefully draw out the opposing teams players that I wanted for match ups. Every throw went exactly as I hoped.

We won all five matches.

We're still in first place. We play the second place team next week, and I'm already stewing on lineup decisions :p

I like a thinking captain - even one who stews... :cool:

My mon nite team won reg season and as such we drew a bye for the 1st round of playoffs.

so this past mon we played and were cruising along real nice ina race to 16 which features singles and doubles play, we were on the hill 15-8. :smile:

but then :eek:

the other team began shooting like mosconis and our team missed 3 easy chances to close it out and just like that it was hill-hill. :eek:

team mate Kurt was up, ran to the 8 and faced a real problem with blackie pinned against a side cushion 2 inches from an opponents stripe. He thought about it for just a second or two, got down and with a very tough angle he whistled the 8 ball cross corner. And whitey followed the 8 o the corner stopping just about 3 inches from scratching.

whew! we survived.

we're in the semis next week.

best,
brian kc

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So what was the caption of the team?

Since I type the majority of this tripe on my phone, typos are common for me, so ya got me to go look at my original post to see if I messed that up and didn't catch it.... :p

I could come up with more than a few captions for the opposing captain, but I'll behave. A little.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since I type the majority of this tripe on my phone, typos are common for me, so ya got me to go look at my original post to see if I messed that up and didn't catch it.... :p

I could come up with more than a few captions for the opposing captain, but I'll behave. A little.

Yep, gotcha! ;)

With all the negative threads of late, I couldn't resist a little levity to someone that I knew would appreciate it. :thumbup2:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I love this thread - so I'll join the fray.

I play two VNEA leagues, both small town and two different vendors. We travel 25-30 miles to play one so that we can participate in their year end tournament. We've won that league pretty easily in the past 8(?) years.

It is a 4 person, 4 round match. Over the years the handicapping has changed from the difference in averages to difference * 1.5, but this year it is Difference * 1.5 + 5 if you have 2 AA players or more playing in 1 night - all but 1 of our players is AA or better.

We frequently give up 15, 16, or even 17 balls A ROUND! Consider winning all 4 games and still losing a round. (which we couldn't care less about winning the league just to get another "belt-buckle" trophy)

Its pretty funny too, anyone you talk with face to face tells us how horrible it is, not fair, etc etc but hear things from other friends in the league about how they're laughing when we're not face to face.

Cowards - I would love to be playing against a team week in/week out that is better than we are - what a great way to measure your game.

We already travel and could travel farther, but just not interested in that much windshield time, particularly during the winter.

Anyone else able to match giving that much handicap?

Our league caps at 10 points per round.

5 man 15 games format (c&n)we gave up a perfect night 10 points per round for a free 30

We won 150-75. Clean sweep won every rack...:grin-square:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA: I ended my 3-loss slide by winning a 4-4 8-ball race 4-3.

I had a break-and-run that started with pocketing 5 balls on the break. I was left with 4 pretty solids and 5 not too ugly stripes. Of course, I only had a shot on stripes. I played a risky shot to get on the eight ball: the key ball was about a ball-width off the long rail and 1 1/2 diamonds from the corner pocket. I left the cue ball so that I could just use follow to come off the short rail in line with the 8-ball. However, those pretty solids were making a little picket fence that I had to slide the cue ball through. I ended up bumping one of the solids almost hooking myself. Although I had to bridge partially over another ball, I had a shot on the 8. With my heart pounding out of my chest, I drained the 8.

It wasn't my first b-n-r... I'm starting to do it more frequently in practice, which is nice -- but I have definitely missed a few lately because of one bad shot (which is all it takes, right?)

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NAPA: I ended my 3-loss slide by winning a 4-4 8-ball race 4-3.

I had a break-and-run that started with pocketing 5 balls on the break. I was left with 4 pretty solids and 5 not too ugly stripes. Of course, I only had a shot on stripes. I played a risky shot to get on the eight ball: the key ball was about a ball-width off the long rail and 1 1/2 diamonds from the corner pocket. I left the cue ball so that I could just use follow to come off the short rail in line with the 8-ball. However, those pretty solids were making a little picket fence that I had to slide the cue ball through. I ended up bumping one of the solids almost hooking myself. Although I had to bridge partially over another ball, I had a shot on the 8. With my heart pounding out of my chest, I drained the 8.

It wasn't my first b-n-r... I'm starting to do it more frequently in practice, which is nice -- but I have definitely missed a few lately because of one bad shot (which is all it takes, right?)

And sometimes that one shot will haunt your dreams if you miss it! :eek: :frown:

I found out last night, that the "SL5" I played was far from an SL5. My team captain and some players from another team told me he plays 7 speed or higher. So that just tells me that he must be the worst sandbagger in the league. I beat him though :)

Last night, I played a strong 4, who I think is somewhere around 70-80% wins. He broke and ran a few, missed an easy shot and I ran out. I broke, ran, and played safe. He missed, gave me BIH and I'm out. So he starts moaning and groaning about how lucky I am and how the balls just won't go in for him... blah blah blah
He finally gets a roll and leaves me locked up behind the 5. I kicked out two rails and hit the 3 perfectly into the corner. That's when he just about blew up! He started off with "That's BullSh**!" then came the "This guy is just lucky!" again. I won 14-6. He made right at 22 balls. I beat him 38-22 and had an easy run out for more points if necessary.

Matt would be proud, although I didn't get any 5 point or 6 point breaks, I had 3 four point breaks in a row! lol

Here's a video of the first rack as soon as I showed up to practice. (Don't hate on the white pants!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQHf5YE9Sw

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league caps at 10 points per round.

5 man 15 games format (c&n)we gave up a perfect night 10 points per round for a free 30

We won 150-75. Clean sweep won every rack...:grin-square:

C&N? We cap at 10 in that one too. Our neighbor to the east is where we're giving up to 17 in a 4X4.

See you Friday.

Tramps Like Us

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
The Rolls

I have been killing it in 8 (beat a three 6-0) but cant get over the hump in 9. I have a hard time fading opponents lucky shots, leaves, safes etc. I would rather watch a guy break and run rack after rack than consistantly get all the rolls. Nothing is worse than the miss that wouldnt have left shape on the next ball AND now you are hooked on what he just missed. It had to have happened 3 or 4 times last night. Anyone else have that problem where pool gods just refuse to smile on you?

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can drop to 4th in one match, why can't you go up the same in 3? Assuming you can win all 3.

Its possible only if in the last few matches the other teams above us have seriously off nights and we have great nights....we lost the lead by over 80 points and that's a tough mountain to climb looking at the rest of the schedule ....we have a couple lower level team to play and a mid level team while the other three teams each have one tough match left and then easy teams....we got held to so few points that it really hurt our chances....can't take anything away from them though ...they played great and we fell apart

Banks

Banned
Anyone else have that problem where pool gods just refuse to smile on you?

Yes and I also call that problem "9-ball".

Last night, we played the lowest team on our masters food chain and won 21-2. Afterwards, I went to my usual bar and won a shot of Jack and a kamikaze playing a 6 that stopped in. Near the end, one of my Sunday teammates stopped by. He's a 3.. and proceeded to table run me the final rack we played! Good thing he's on my team. :eek:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Anyone else have that problem where pool gods just refuse to smile on you?

I think I won in spite of the fact that they were not smiling on me. I don't know how many times I scratched last night but if my opponent's cueball was rolling straight into the center of a pocket it would suddenly lose steam and stop on the table.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i am proud to report that there was NO-OOOO sandbagging TUE night. cause it was finals for 8-ball. i had passed-on yáll's advice to many.

i refuse to report that there might have been some serious SHARKING. a comment was made to the entire #1 Team, that they'd have to man-up @ Break Time & play on some REAL tables that were not PINK felt - they lost. and KK9's opponent (whom i know fairly well) apparently got his nipple twisted when they were hill-hill....
:cool:

9-ball finals are tonight. gotta find the perfect tank-top & skirt!

mcesarey

I'm a 9 in Wed APA 9 ball league and a 7 in Thu APA 8 ball league. Top Gun in both but got in a bit of a slump after getting LASIK eye surgery a month ago. I could see fine, but it has taken a while for my eyes to sort of recalibrate to the depth perception and angle judgement. Over the last two weeks I lost 3 out of 4 matches. Last night I got back on track in 9 ball and beat an 8...75 to 8! About to head out for 8 ball league and I hope things stay the way they were last night.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
At Straight pool league last night I beat the guy in first place which felt good. But he was so frustrated that he threw the cue ball on the table twice during the match. Sometimes when my opponent goes off tilt like that it affects my game adversely. But this time I decided I was not going to let that happen. I am sorry he acted so poorly but glad I kept my cool.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Near the end, one of my Sunday teammates stopped by. He's a 3.. and proceeded to table run me the final rack we played! Good thing he's on my team. :eek:

Always nice to have a 3 that can run racks on your team. :grin: