how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When do you find time to practice? :D

I would like to.share my league experience last Sunday since you mentioned practice.

First off.....i never practice but I decided to after matches were over this night. After o hit 2 racks of 9 bal one of my team mates came up and wanted to play.

We played 4 racks of 9 ball and he said he had to leave. As I started fo rack one more time another team mate came up and asked if I would partner with him and 2 young ladies he had been talking to. They had been hanging out with their friend and that persons boyfriend but those 2 had left and my team.mate had struck up a conversation with the two girls.

So I said sure we can do that.. Well it turns out neither girl hardly knew which end of the cue was which bit he and I worked with them.on every shot they made..needless to.say every rack took forever giving a time out on every who they made not only on which ball they should shoot or where to aim but how to hold the cue and make a decent bridge.

Me and the girl i played with won every game before i finally called it quits at 1:30 in the morning cause it takes 45 minutes to get home and i had to get up at 6:30 for work.

Oh yea....the counter girl.had stayed late foe us to play when she could have closed at the regular closing time of 12:00 so.i tipped her good. She is my ex girlfriend and we are still pretty cool with each other.

The next day my team.mate is texting me saying my partner played better than his. I replied they both played the same that we won due to my superior coaching and continually leaving her better than he left his partner lol .

He said no way that was the case. I replied i had a ton of experience playing doubles with 2's and 3's in jack and Jill tournaments and asked if he had ever played in one. He replied no....i.said i red my case.

Oh yea....the girls said they would be interested in doing it again with us as they wanted to learn how to play. Oh to be young again and know what i know now. :grin-square:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have one of these types on your team and how do you deal with them.?

I have a guy who who recently moved here and joined my team. He had played apa before and only had 4 matches in before he moved here . He was a 5/4. The first night he played I thought......damn ....he is gonna be a 5/5 and sure enough he was raised 2 weeks later. He always practices before and after league. He even practices on days be does not play league. I got him to join another team I am captain of.

I never practice and on several occasions he has asked me to pls with him and I did a couple of times. He won 3 out of 4 iirc. We always pls 9 ball.

Well one night we are talking about having to add a low player because he went up and so did another guy and it was getting hard to play me and meet handicap. He asks ...what are you ? I said a 6. He said ...heck I thought you was a 4. I said why did you think that.? He says cause he always beat me . I said practice dont mean nothing and that I use that time playing team mates practicing shots that I would never play in a match.

Well he challenges me to a race to 7 - 9 ball for 100.00.. Wtf ?

I told him I did not gamble anymore like I used to and I damn sure would not gamble of a game of slop.

Well to make a long story short ....he talked smack for the next week and when a team mate told me this guy said I was scared of him. I decided to talk a lil smack back....which I dont normally do. I told him he lost to a 6 Sunday night by a score of 46-36 in 19 innings. I told him I won my match vs a 5 by 46 30 in 14 innings so if he was smart he would not want any of me. I then tell I will pls him a race to 7 - 8 ball...call your shot . He then drops the bet to 20.00. I say ...what ? ...you suddenly lost your confidence ? He says he is not as good in 8 ball. I said we at the same handicap .he still wants to go 9 ball.

So I think about it and text him this morning ...4 hours ago. And I tell him. Race to 7-8 ball call your shot. Race to 7-9 ball...race fo 7 - 10 ball for bragging rights on who is top dog on the team. I aint heard back yet.

Here is our record for last session.

Him . 11 lifetime 8 ball matches with a 64% win.
18 lifetime time 9 ball matches with a 78% win.
All of those matches are from just last session except for 4.

Me just from last session

16 -8 ball matches with 66% win
40- 9 ball matches with 62% win.

Now take into consideration that most of his opponents were 4's and 5's . Most of mine were vs 5's and up with the occasional dumping low level players on me.

I will let you know if this goes down.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night's straight pool league match was a disaster. I pretty much choked at the end and probably deserved to lose.
I needed 1 point, my opponent needed 5.
I just missed a long shot, ball left hanging on the pocket, opponent got it in.
Opponent plays a good safety, I do a safety too, but scratch in the process. Down by two now. Opponent misses ball in hand.
I make the next ball, back needing one point again.
Opponent makes a shot.
My turn, I scratch again, back to needing two.
Opponent misses, I get a ball in and now down by one for the THIRD TIME!!!
I then miss the next ball leaving my opponent with a good shot. He than gets the next three balls and wins the match.
I shake hands and leave Raxx Pool Room with my head down.
NAPL individual 9 ball league tonight to redeem myself. And APA tri cup this Friday night. But still feel dejected over this 14.1 loss

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
I cannot complain how I've been playing in the past 12 months in an in house cash league, but damn those booze... :grin:

Screen_Shot_2017-05-08_at_11.00.56_AM.png

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
was never a league player
was a sub for one season back in 2010 (APA)
played 1st game of Summer season (APA) .. they started me as a 4
won my match 3-0
all others on my team lost.
had a good time - met new people.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was never a league player
was a sub for one season back in 2010 (APA)
played 1st game of Summer season (APA) .. they started me as a 4
won my match 3-0
all others on my team lost.
had a good time - met new people.

Glad to.hear you had a.good time . And congrats on the win.

It was the opposite for me tonight. I jumped out to a 3-0 lead in a 4-4 race in 8 ball. Lost 4-3. Shawn ....are you paying attention to my post ? :grin:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won both my matches this week, beat a 2, 5 to 1 in 8 ball and a 3 4 to 0 in nine ball. Had an 8 on a break, a rack n run in 8 ball, and a rackless with one break and run in 9 ball...was really shooting well this week, lost the one game by scratching after pocketing the 8...just put backasswards english on the shot.

So now we are 7 matches up with 2 weeks to play in 9 ball, we should finish in 1st place. 3rd place in eight ball, two matches out of first, but we will finish at least 3rd, we will be qualified for titleholders in both, cant wait for the tournaments.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night was pretty stressful for me. I am glad they dont happen very often though.

It started off bad about 15 minutes before match time when one of my players and I got into a pretty heated conversation texting each other. Long story short is our team is not one of his priorities that he claims it is.

The second issue was come match time I only have 2-3's and myself there . Unusual but it happens sometimes due to work and family but most did text me saying they were running late.

So the other captain who is am 8 throws himself and o match up with him because I dang sure aint throwing either 3 that is there.

The match starts off real bad due to some pretty dang good shooting by that 9 along with a couple of lock down safes plus my piss poor shooting due to being irate over that conversation with one of my players rich before match time .

It dont take long for me to be down 23-7.. Next thing I know one of my players who got there late and heard what transpired earlier from one of the 2 others and saw that I was not in the game brings me a beer and tells me to get my head out of my rear end. They all swear I play better when I have a few lol.

Well it kinda worked. From that point on I scored 36 to my opponents 38 losing 65-39.

It's a loss but on the bright side I hung with him almost point for point after being down 27-3. I was just raised to a 6 ....again lol. Several weeks ago and I I had still been a 5 I would have won this match

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Do you have one of these types on your team and how do you deal with them.?

I have a guy who who recently moved here and joined my team. He had played apa before and only had 4 matches in before he moved here . He was a 5/4. The first night he played I thought......damn ....he is gonna be a 5/5 and sure enough he was raised 2 weeks later. He always practices before and after league. He even practices on days be does not play league. I got him to join another team I am captain of.

I never practice and on several occasions he has asked me to pls with him and I did a couple of times. He won 3 out of 4 iirc. We always pls 9 ball.

Well one night we are talking about having to add a low player because he went up and so did another guy and it was getting hard to play me and meet handicap. He asks ...what are you ? I said a 6. He said ...heck I thought you was a 4. I said why did you think that.? He says cause he always beat me . I said practice dont mean nothing and that I use that time playing team mates practicing shots that I would never play in a match.

Well he challenges me to a race to 7 - 9 ball for 100.00.. Wtf ?

I told him I did not gamble anymore like I used to and I damn sure would not gamble of a game of slop.

Well to make a long story short ....he talked smack for the next week and when a team mate told me this guy said I was scared of him. I decided to talk a lil smack back....which I dont normally do. I told him he lost to a 6 Sunday night by a score of 46-36 in 19 innings. I told him I won my match vs a 5 by 46 30 in 14 innings so if he was smart he would not want any of me. I then tell I will pls him a race to 7 - 8 ball...call your shot . He then drops the bet to 20.00. I say ...what ? ...you suddenly lost your confidence ? He says he is not as good in 8 ball. I said we at the same handicap .he still wants to go 9 ball.

So I think about it and text him this morning ...4 hours ago. And I tell him. Race to 7-8 ball call your shot. Race to 7-9 ball...race fo 7 - 10 ball for bragging rights on who is top dog on the team. I aint heard back yet.

Here is our record for last session.

Him . 11 lifetime 8 ball matches with a 64% win.
18 lifetime time 9 ball matches with a 78% win.
All of those matches are from just last session except for 4.

Me just from last session

16 -8 ball matches with 66% win
40- 9 ball matches with 62% win.

Now take into consideration that most of his opponents were 4's and 5's . Most of mine were vs 5's and up with the occasional dumping low level players on me.

I will let you know if this goes down.
Grrrrrr. I don't mind the challenge from a team mate, but it can be a big detractor from team building if the outcome affects your league play.

Add the insult to it and now he leaves you no choice but to try and shut his mouth.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grrrrrr. I don't mind the challenge from a team mate, but it can be a big detractor from team building if the outcome affects your league play.

Add the insult to it and now he leaves you no choice but to try and shut his mouth.

I really did not get upset over this because I believe most of his yapping was on good natured ribbing. At least it seemed that way....unlike another player I had a while ago that thought he was better than he really was.

I like this boy and am really impressed with his dedication with practice. He is the only player I have ever seen to practice position play to the point of placing a quarter on the table and playing a shot over and over until the cue ball rests up against that quarter.

But yea I thought I needed to stop his yapping and he took me up on offer to play races to 7 in 8...9 and 10.

We started out with 8 ball and I jumped out to a 2-0 lead. Then the strangest thing happened to me. 3rd rack I miscued on my last ball and he ran out. 4 th rack I miscued on my last ball and he ran out. 5th rack I miscued on my next to last ball and he ran out. So he is up 3-2.

Each time I miscued I checked my tip and saw nothing wrong with it. Well after the 3rd miscue I tool out my scuffer and wen to town on my tip and for good measure I tool my cube of kamui chalk out of my case and started using it. I won the set of 8 ball by 7-5.

We immediately started 9 ball and and we each took turns winning each rack and stopped after the 5th rack sue to league starting with him up 3-2.

We pick up where we left off a couple days later and I win 5 out of 6 rack for a score of 7-4 in 9 ball. He shakes my hand and he looks kind of embarrassed and but he tells me I dont shoot bad for a 4 and starts laughing. I said well if you say I am a 4 what does that make you after I won both racks. He laughs and says ...a 2.

He then asks if we can go ahead and play 10 ball. I said what you wanting to do.....try to win at least one set and save face? He said yea something like that and smiles.

So we play 10 ball and i win that set 7-4.

When this boy joined my team he was a 5/4 . Halfway through his first 9 ball match I thought...dang this boy gonna be a 5 soon. 2 weeks later he was raised. I added him to my Sunday night team also.

My Monday night captain....only team I am not captain of...asks me if I know a good player to replace one that quit and i mention this boy. He asks how good is he and I say he is dang good. He asks if the boy is as good as me and I say hell no but he is more consistent. So we added him to our team.

If I did not like him I would not have done that.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
Nice little app - not sure it lets you use your own stats as it looks like it pulls from a league level. (and APA is a bit behind)

No, it doesn't. In order for enter and publish stats, you'll have to pay. We use it to manage our in-house league. The app has decent enough functions, but are somewhat limited and it can be buggy at times.

APA is way behind. I get the impression that perhaps the technical people behind the scene aren't all that tech savvy.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My 8-ball team was tied for 3rd going into the last week of the session. I also have a player who was tied for Top Gun going into the last week. The way I intended to play it, I would have to have one of my 5's play down (our opponents only had two 5's, the rest lower, and I planned to play a 6 and two 5's) so I played the 5 who was in contention for Top Gun against the 3 that they posted first.

Sadly, my 5 didnt to her usual ability, and her opponent is a very capable 3. So what should have been a 3-0 start turned into us being down 0-2.

And oddly enough, we ended up finishing 3 points out of 3rd as a team. Missing the playoffs. Tough finish for us. I matched things up pretty much as well as I wanted, and it just didn't work out. Rough feeling, replayed my options multiple times, I'd do it the same again today. Sigh.

Personally, I'm not playing as much as I used to. The three players I referenced above are all playing stronger than I am, so I take my turn every now and again, but I give them more matches. Same in 9-ball, I defer to others if they wanna play. My passion for it has waned a bit, likely cuz I'm so busy with things outside of pool nowadays. I keep playing, mostly cuz of my teammates and my other friends in the league. And my responsibility as captain of one of the teams. I just don't push myself into more of the matches any longer. Its frustrating to not play as well as I'm capable, and its surely because I don't put in the time any longer.

Our 9-ball team qualify for States a couple of sessions ago, and that's coming up in a few weeks, so that's exciting. Guess I'd better try to get some practice in before then...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masters started today. I have been captain of a team for 2 years now and I was recently asked to join another team. Upon being told who all was on the team I said yea I would join there team. It's a lot stronger than the one I had.

I face my Friday night teammate who is a 5/5. I am a 5/6. I won 7-1. We play the opposing team twice . I only played once today

We won the first match 21-4 and the second match 21-3. Think I made a good decision to join this team because we have 2 players that can help my game tremendously..

Then I went to double jeapordy league

I faced another 5 in 8 ball and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Then my game went in the crapper losing the next 4.

I played a different 5 in 9 ball and was up 35-25 . Again my game went in the crapper after I made 4 balls on the break and scratched. He ran the table. I lost 44-38 in a 46-38 race.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Masters started today. I have been captain of a team for 2 years now and I was recently asked to join another team. Upon being told who all was on the team I said yea I would join there team. It's a lot stronger than the one I had.

I face my Friday night teammate who is a 5/5. I am a 5/6. I won 7-1. We play the opposing team twice . I only played once today

We won the first match 21-4 and the second match 21-3. Think I made a good decision to join this team because we have 2 players that can help my game tremendously..

Then I went to double jeapordy league

I faced another 5 in 8 ball and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Then my game went in the crapper losing the next 4.

I played a different 5 in 9 ball and was up 35-25 . Again my game went in the crapper after I made 4 balls on the break and scratched. He ran the table. I lost 44-38 in a 46-38 race.
Good deal. So after all did you and the boy play for 20 or 100 or 20 a set ?

He sounds like he has a good sense of humor.

Master league is fun.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first match of this new season. Played another top player. We ended up playing 9-ball,race to 9.

I'm playing pretty strong and am up 8-1 when I totally dog the case 9-ball. He wins the next four to get to 8-6 but I leak across the finish line 9-6. Ugh. What should have been a happy, blowout win ended up as a complete shit show, lucking my way into a win.

On to the next.