Changing out new cloth for Simonis

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone so far likes it. Its about same speed as HR, not 760 fast. The owner is getting his thru a top player who is kind of our area rep. Around $175bux per table(9ft)/140 for barbox. They are buying a lot of it(room has30tables total) so that may explain good price.
I think the Andy blend we used was the Andy Pro, which was the faster, more expensive of their offerings. Perhaps the blend you are talking about is just slightly slower and slightly less expensive.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Andy blend we used was the Andy Pro, which was the faster, more expensive of their offerings. Perhaps the blend you are talking about is just slightly slower and slightly less expensive.
988 plays just like HR. Been on it a couple months and really like it. Pretty sure we're getting a little better price than most. They know the rep real well and they're buying a lot of it at once.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausen tables are notorious for slower cushions than Diamond or Brunswick GC- I know I had an Olhausen and a Brunswick GC- the simonis on the Olhausen still could not equal the speed of Diamond or GC cushions. That is one reason I traded my Olhausen for a GC many years ago.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Championship 20oz/yard, Simonis 860 27oz/yard. Lower weight = faster.

Championship 75% wool 25% nylon. Simonis 860 90% wool 10% nylon. More nylon = faster.

So at least in theory the Championship should be faster. But I don't have any personal experience with it.

Leaving out the "napped" Championship and "Worsted" Simonis parts of the equation is what you are failing to understand.

Simonis is far faster.

TFT

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on Olhausens with 860HR every day, IMO it's not the cloth it's the rails. My other option is blue label Diamonds also with 860HR and the difference is amazing.
We are trying to get them to replace the Olhausens with Diamonds. Our tables do get a fair amount of play and the Olhausens just aren't holding up that well.

JJM1911

Registered
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I understand my Olhausen table may not be the fastest, I’ll live with that. I was watching a video from a thread posted here yesterday, now I understand these were pro players but I see how they can get the cue ball to take off after it makes contact with the object ball before hitting any rails. I understand my rails may not be the fastest but I’m talking about just getting the cue ball to take off like I see in videos. I’m sure my stroke is nowhere near theirs, but will the cloth have a big effect on this? No matter how hard I try I can’t get the cue ball to move forward like I see in videos, it seems to slide. I’m good at getting a decent amount of draw. Is this me or is the cloth limiting me too?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That specific an issue would likey need some more direct feedback...as in an in-person diagnosis.

But, yes...cloth will absolutely impact how the balls roll.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I understand my Olhausen table may not be the fastest, I’ll live with that. I was watching a video from a thread posted here yesterday, now I understand these were pro players but I see how they can get the cue ball to take off after it makes contact with the object ball before hitting any rails. I understand my rails may not be the fastest but I’m talking about just getting the cue ball to take off like I see in videos. I’m sure my stroke is nowhere near theirs, but will the cloth have a big effect on this? No matter how hard I try I can’t get the cue ball to move forward like I see in videos, it seems to slide. I’m good at getting a decent amount of draw. Is this me or is the cloth limiting me too?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you can hit the cue ball up and down the table a little over 4 times the cloth is about right speed. if you work on your stroke then you will get better results. that is good cloth and doesnt need changing.

if its just wanting to make your balls go faster polish them and that will do it.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just played on this championship cloth a few weeks ago and it was plenty fast. Your cloth may not be pulled tight enough or your balls need a good cleaning. If you're playing that much, you should be cleaning them at least once a week (preferrably every other day). I normally play 10-15 hours a week and find that the ball movement significantly slows down after a few days....my cloth is pretty worn out, but clean balls make a big difference.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I think that many people on this thread are confusing Championship Invitational cloth (what the OP has) with Championship Tour Edition.

Championship Invitational is not all that fast. It's decent for a 7' table, and reasonable for casual play on an 8' table. However, for any decent player, it will be a bit slow for an 8' table, and out of the question for a 9' table.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It's because the cloth is new and slippery. Give it time. the nap and sheen will wear off and it will get chalk in it. the friction will take spin better.

By the way, I would call Olhausen and ask them what their rail bolt torque specs are. I just tightened mine on my Brunswick and speeded up the rails a good 10% -15% I would estimate. I was shocked that Valley suggests 65 inch lbs. - that's pretty tight.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first two items to check...first, .have your installer come back to check if the bed cloth is stretched tight enough....second, have installer check rail bolt tightness.

JJM1911

Registered
It's because the cloth is new and slippery. Give it time. the nap and sheen will wear off and it will get chalk in it. the friction will take spin better.

By the way, I would call Olhausen and ask them what their rail bolt torque specs are. I just tightened mine on my Brunswick and speeded up the rails a good 10% -15% I would estimate. I was shocked that Valley suggests 65 ft lbs. - that's really tight.

I did notice a couple of the bolts holding the rails down to the slate were loose. Are those the ones your referring to? Or are there also ones holding the bumpers to the wooden rail part?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

By the way, I would call Olhausen and ask them what their rail bolt torque specs are. I just tightened mine on my Brunswick and speeded up the rails a good 10% -15% I would estimate. I was shocked that Valley suggests 65 ft lbs. - that's really tight.

I’ve seen where Valley and Bar Box aftermarket rails suggested 65 in.lbs torque for their rail bolts, but nothing close to the 65 ft.lb. range. I don’t think any pool table rails made would survive 65 ft.lbs. of TQ. That kinda torque is in the small car lug nut range.

No biggie, I suspect it was just a slip up. I just pictured someone on the internet reading that and actually trying that much torque and ruining a rail, so I wanted to clarify that Valleys rails would be 65 inch pounds, not ft.lbs.

All other statements I agree 100% with you on, especially about the the point of ball contact on rail cloth losing sheen and getting sticky over time, and speeding up the rebound. Polishing the balls often helps a bunch to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I’ve seen where Valley and Bar Box aftermarket rails suggested 65 in.lbs torque for their rail bolts, but nothing close to the ft.lb. range. I don’t think any pool table rails made would survive 65 ft.lbs. TQ. That kinda torque is in the small car lug nut range.

No biggie, I suspect it was just a slip up. I just pictured someone on the internet reading that and actually trying that much torque and ruining a rail, so I wanted to clarify that Valleys rails would be 65 inch pounds, not ft.lbs.

All other statements I agree 100% with you on, especially about the the point of ball contact on rail cloth losing sheen and getting sticky over time, and speeding up the rebound. Polishing the balls often helps a bunch to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks you are right. I guess I have to put my 3 foot extension away! I changed the post not to fool anybody. Glenn recommended 10 ft lbs for Olhausen's because of the configuration of the rails. I think it would be best if the Op called them to see what they recommended.
Chris

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I did notice a couple of the bolts holding the rails down to the slate were loose. Are those the ones your referring to? Or are there also ones holding the bumpers to the wooden rail part?

The ones holding the rails down to the slate. They should be fairly and evenly tight. If you lag a ball at the rail, it should come back at a decent speed. In a previous post Glenn recommended 10 ft. lbs. for Olhausen, I suggest you call the factory.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "cushions" are glued to the sub-rail. If the bolts holding rail to slate are loose table will play like crap. Most big table require 10-15ft/lbs of torque.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks you are right. I guess I have to put my 3 foot extension away! I changed the post not to fool anybody. Glenn recommended 10 ft lbs for Olhausen's because of the configuration of the rails. I think it would be best if the Op called them to see what they recommended.
Chris

Yes sir! You are welcome, just trying to keep us out of trouble...and yeah when you see someone getting out the 3 foot extension to torque bolts ask them a few questions for sure. LOL They will really appreciate it when they find out what it cost to replace rails and/or slates.

Edit: Great advice for the OP to contact Olhausen.