Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Dockter
AzB Silver Member
Dockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-18-2019, 01:39 PM

I got mine a couple weeks ago, I'll put the disclaimer that I'm terrible at pool so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've owned the Revo, Go2, CueTec and now the Defy in 12mm.

Draw is effortless, I can snap a full table draw shot on the bar box with ease, but it took some getting use to if I want to draw say a diamond or two and found myself overdrawing a lot.

Top seems to require a little more of a stroke then I'm use to. I don't know if it's because I'm use to a little more front end weight (recently stopped using a mid extension)

I'm finding that the deflection when going inside and outside is about the same as a Z2. I've run the same test that Dr. Dave ran and I think it has less deflection then the CueTec although I'm probably not near as accurate with hitting my exact spot on the ball as Dr. Dave so take that with a grain of salt. I believe it has a little less deflection then the CueTec and it runs pretty close to the Revo.

There is very little to no vibration. If you like a really soft hit this is the cue for you. I personally hate Navigator Tips, just not a fan of the feel. I switched it to a SIB Pro and there isn't a lot of feel but it moves the CB great.

So far CueTec is still my favorite. I don't know if it's because I have the most time with it or what it is, I've just preferred that over everything else so far, the Defy is 2nd on my list and may move up once I spend more time with it. Right now I'm just having fun trying the new ones and since I'm never going to be world class I have fun running through equipment and trying out the fads. The BlaK is next on my list.

Old
  (#32)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Are you talking about greater energy transfer, as others have described (more CB speed/spin with less stick speed)?

pj
chgo
I would agree with that.

Playing Cue: McDermott G903, I3 Shaft, Navigator Black Super Soft tip for regular pool. I2 Shaft with Navigator Black soft tip for Artistic Pool
Break Cue: Stinger
Jump Cue: McDermott Big boy shaft with Jump Handle/ Marty Carey Jump Cue
Masse Cue: Too Tall Custom Cues Masse Cue

www.gospeltrickshot.org
http://www.mcdermottcue.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRC...yTfxDrlYmwMBOQ

Old
  (#33)
Weber
AzB Bronze Member
Weber is on a distinguished road

11-18-2019, 06:07 PM

My shaft came in today and I was able to shoot some balls with it.

It’s really lightweight, I think because of the weight difference it causes more action from a normal stroke.

The tip is soft but feels good. No vibration, nice and smooth, and action is almost effortless.

Player: McDermott H1451, defy 12 shaft, i3 shaft
Back up: McDermott Warden M1-1A, i3 shaft
Back up: McDermott M52C
Break/Jump: McDermott NGO5, Sledge Hammer
Cue Ball: Aramith Red Circle
Chalk: Magic Chalk

Old
  (#34)
OhioNuke
AzB Bronze Member
OhioNuke is on a distinguished road

02-04-2020, 09:34 AM

Anyone have any updates on their first hand experience with the new McDermott Defy carbon fiber shaft? Sounds promising. Would like to try one before I commit but none available locally anytime soon.
Thanks!

Old
  (#35)
Weber
AzB Bronze Member

02-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Hands down best CF I have used. Only problem is they are back logged on filling orders, Iím ordering two more of them.

Old
  (#36)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber View Post
Name:  Marie's sign.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  8.2 KB
Your avatar pic of the Marie's Golden Cue sign reminds me of the time, about 3 years ago, when a friend of mine had just purchased Marie's and started to renovate it into what is now Surge Billiards in Chicago (pic below).

During community meetings about the new place, the one thing we heard most from neighbors was "take that damned sign down!" Some people just can't take a joke, even after decades of hearing it...

pj
chgo

Name:  IMG_2812 small.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  170.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2621.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  66.5 KB

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 02-04-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Old
  (#37)
Weber
AzB Bronze Member

02-04-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Your avatar pic of the Marie's Golden Cue sign reminds me of the time, about 3 years ago, when a friend of mine had just purchased Marie's and started to renovate it into what is now Surge Billiards in Chicago (pic below).

During community meetings about the new place, the one thing we heard most from neighbors was "take that damned sign down!" Some people just can't take a joke, even after decades of hearing it...

pj
chgo

Attachment 540602
Attachment 540604
Lol, thatís crazy.

Old
  (#38)
amonkire
AzB Bronze Member
amonkire is on a distinguished road

02-12-2020, 10:29 PM

I agree, I shoot with a i3 and defy, both are good but price to me is the dif defy or no shaft for that matter is worth $400+?! you got that much extra in your pocket spend it on lessons!

Old
  (#39)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonkire View Post
I agree, I shoot with a i3 and defy, both are good but price to me is the dif defy or no shaft for that matter is worth $400+?! you got that much extra in your pocket spend it on lessons!
OP asked for performance review not for some tightwad's economic theorys.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#40)
336Robin
Dir Multiverse Earth Ops
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-13-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzby View Post
Any opinions would be welcomed.
Total crap. It dampens down the energy of the cue ball. I played with it for about an hour and half and was worn out and changed back
to my Jacoby Hybrids and decided not to buy the used one being offered by the original buyer. If you over hit the ball too much maybe but hits like a wet 2 x 4.

More accurately I call it the Deny rather than Defy. It controls your cue ball travel distance by subtraction. You'll have to learn to over hit the shot.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Last edited by 336Robin; 02-13-2020 at 02:55 AM.

Got my McDermott Defy CF shaft
Old
  (#41)
OhioNuke
AzB Bronze Member
OhioNuke is on a distinguished road

Got my McDermott Defy CF shaft - 02-23-2020, 08:58 AM

Got my Defy CF shaft with Uni-Loc yesterday. Happened to find a company that got one in that day. Haven't played it yet, but hope to tonight. Will post feedback.

FYI, my wife got the Meucci CF shaft a few months ago, and IMHO it is exceptional. I was going to buy one until I learned about the Defy. My understanding is it's the first solid core CF shaft. I started out with McDermotts (a custom made Cobra prototype), but switched to a Lucasi Hybrid.

Old
  (#42)
Weber
AzB Bronze Member

02-23-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNuke View Post
Got my Defy CF shaft with Uni-Loc yesterday. Happened to find a company that got one in that day. Haven't played it yet, but hope to tonight. Will post feedback.

FYI, my wife got the Meucci CF shaft a few months ago, and IMHO it is exceptional. I was going to buy one until I learned about the Defy. My understanding is it's the first solid core CF shaft. I started out with McDermotts (a custom made Cobra prototype), but switched to a Lucasi Hybrid.
Where did you find one in stock? Iím looking to pick a couple more up, but need a 12mm in the McDermott qc joint.

Old
  (#43)
Coop1701
AzB Silver Member
Coop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond reputeCoop1701 has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2020, 11:20 AM

I got to try one a few weeks ago...., I have had several CF shafts before settling on my Cynergy. I will say itís got a great hit. If I had tried it before my Cuetec. I probably would have bought one. Very crisp and firm hit. I have to give McDermott Props. They did a great job with this one.

Hope.., is not a Tactic.

Old
  (#44)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
Total crap. It dampens down the energy of the cue ball. I played with it for about an hour and half and was worn out and changed back
to my Jacoby Hybrids and decided not to buy the used one being offered by the original buyer. If you over hit the ball too much maybe but hits like a wet 2 x 4.

More accurately I call it the Deny rather than Defy. It controls your cue ball travel distance by subtraction. You'll have to learn to over hit the shot.
Funny how your report is so opposite of the others?

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#45)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Funny how your report is so opposite of the others?
Why is it funny? People like different things. A lot of people like the cuetec . I thought it felt like cheap junk like all cuetec cueís lol but to each his own.

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: