Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Nov. 15-18, 2018 US Open Straight Pool Championships

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Nov. 15-18, 2018 US Open Straight Pool Championships
Old
  (#1)
CSI Media
CueSports International
CSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond reputeCSI Media has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Nov. 15-18, 2018 US Open Straight Pool Championships - 09-20-2018, 10:49 AM

The US Open Straight Pool Championship will be Nov. 15-18, 2018 at Griff's in Las Vegas!
Tiered entry fee based on FargoRate to attract players of all levels!
Also seeking a limited number of quality pool rooms to run qualifiers! Room owners, if you are interested, contact Mark Griffin, 702-835-2000.

CSI Media is a division of CueSports International (CSI). CSI is the parent company of the BCA Pool League, USA Pool League, and many open/professional events such as the US Open 10-Ball, US Open 8-Ball, US Open Straight Pool, US Open One Pocket, US Open Bank Pool, and many more. For more information about how CSI is shaping the future of pool, visit www.playcsipool.com.

2018 US Open 14.1
Old
  (#2)
Mark Griffin
AzB Gold Member
Mark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8900

2018 US Open 14.1 - 09-20-2018, 01:12 PM

We are trying to create some interest in the grandest game. This will have a twist, in that players under 600 can play for a very reasonable fee of $150. Everyone is guaranteed several games since the first rounds are round robin.

A room can hold qualifiers with only 8 players each paying $20 dollars and win a spot! If they are better players (over 720), the entry is $400. Lots of room to hold many types of qualifiers.

Straight Pool has been almost forgotten in the last few years. Here is a chance to try and revive it.

I hope some rooms (or players) pay attention to this. The title is still very prestigious and will only improve every year now that we have a solid location.

Come to Vegas and enjoy one of the nicest rooms in the country!!!!!

Contact Mark Griffin with questions. 702-835-2000

Old
  (#3)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffin View Post
We are trying to create some interest in the grandest game.
Congratulations on getting this in gear. I hope it only grows year after year.

I have a pet peeve and I've been told by some well respected people to get over it... but I don't seem to be able to. Here it is: Yes, it is the grandest game, as you say, and part of the reason is that there is a long history and tradition to the game. In keeping with that, I really wish the event promoters would stop calling the matches "A race to 100, A race to 200." They are matches, not races. Nothing about the word "race" makes any sense when applied to straight pool.

Getting off soap box...

Dan White

Old
  (#4)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Congratulations on getting this in gear. I hope it only grows year after year.

I have a pet peeve and I've been told by some well respected people to get over it... but I don't seem to be able to. Here it is: Yes, it is the grandest game, as you say, and part of the reason is that there is a long history and tradition to the game. In keeping with that, I really wish the event promoters would stop calling the matches "A race to 100, A race to 200." They are matches, not races. Nothing about the word "race" makes any sense when applied to straight pool.

Getting off soap box...
I, too, dislike that "race" terminology, Dan. The first I remember hearing it was when the Dragon started doing straight-pool events and didn't really know much about the game. Maybe it was used in some places way before that, but I was unaware of it.

In the upcoming US Open, they will be playing games to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

And since each match will consist of just one game, they also will be playing matches to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

If a match consisted of the best 3 out of 5 games to x points, for example, then it would be appropriate to call the match a race to 3 games of x points.

[But the winner in a 14.1 game is the first player to reach x points, so it is a "race" to x points, right? Well, yes, but that terminology vexes many 14.1 veterans.]

Last edited by AtLarge; 09-20-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Old
  (#5)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I, too, dislike that "race" terminology, Dan. The first I remember hearing it was when the Dragon started doing straight-pool events and didn't really know much about the game. Maybe it was used in some places way before that, but I was unaware of it.

In the upcoming US Open, they will be playing games to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

And since each match will consist of just one game, they also will be playing matches to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

If a match consisted of the best 3 out of 5 games to x points, for example, then it would be appropriate to call the match a race to 3 games of x points.

[But the winner in a 14.1 game is the first player to reach x points, so it is a "race" to x points, right? Well, yes, but that terminology vexes many 14.1 veterans.]
I am with you guys on this. I won't complain too loudly since any 14.1 is good 14.1 so I appreciate the efforts of CSI. But I always try to use the proper terminology for the correct game. Snooker ranking tournament matches are often best of 9's, the US Open 9 ball is a race to 11 and 14.1 is commonly a 150 point game.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Race?
Old
  (#6)
Demondrew
AzB Silver Member
Demondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond repute

Race? - 09-26-2018, 10:56 AM

When did we start using the term race? I remember the term being best out of 21, not a race to eleven. The baseball World Series isn't a race to four.

Semantics I guess.

Andy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

Old
  (#7)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demondrew View Post
When did we start using the term race? I remember the term being best out of 21, not a race to eleven. The baseball World Series isn't a race to four.

Semantics I guess.

Andy
It started when 9 ball players started putting on straight pool events. I think Charlie Williams and Dragon Promotions started it, but I could be wrong.

Dan White

Old
  (#8)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

11-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Has this event been canceled? Was that announced somewhere?

It was to start 6 days from today.

edit -- I see this event was also announced on the Main Forum, but I don't see any mention of a cancellation there, either.

Last edited by AtLarge; 11-09-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Old
  (#9)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member

11-09-2018, 06:44 PM

"2019 US Open Straight Pool Championship
May 29 - June 1, 2019 (Las Vegas, NV)"

..........from the CSI website. No longer any mention I can find of the event for 2018.

Banks, One-Pocket, and 14.1 back to back to back in 2019.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: