John Schmidt at 2019 US Open 11-0

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought JS would do really well at the 2019 US Open as he ran a ton of balls in straight pool and seemed to be in dead punch, besting his straight pool runs from his younger days when he actually did with the US Open.

He is listed as playing in 4 matches. 2 of them he lost 11-0. Does anyone know if those were real scores, or maybe there was a forfeit involved. I just find it hard to believe he would lose 11-0 to any player there.

Here are his 4 matches:

Round 1 winner's:
JS defeats Mike Stalk 11-5

Round 2 winner's:
JS loses to Liu Haitao 11-0

Round 3 loser's:
JS 11 defeats Gwyn Spooner 11-9

Round 4 loser's:
John Schmidt loses to Lee Heuwagen 11-0

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought JS would do really well at the 2019 US Open as he ran a ton of balls in straight pool and seemed to be in dead punch, besting his straight pool runs from his younger days when he actually did with the US Open.

He is listed as playing in 4 matches. 2 of them he lost 11-0. Does anyone know if those were real scores, or maybe there was a forfeit involved. I just find it hard to believe he would lose 11-0 to any player there.

Here are his 4 matches:

Round 1 winner's:
JS defeats Mike Stalk 11-5

Round 2 winner's:
JS loses to Liu Haitao 11-0

Round 3 loser's:
JS 11 defeats Gwyn Spooner 11-9

Round 4 loser's:
John Schmidt loses to Lee Heuwagen 11-0

I am pretty sure the match against Lee was played, and that is the correct score. I believe that John barely shot that match.

Not sure about the other 11-0.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a Rock Paper Scissors game, why are you surprised?

If x player playing phenomenal pool today, he can lose to an unknown 11-0 tomorrow, this keeps happening everyday.

I saw Alex not missing a single shot one day in a tournament, even the commentator said that he’s a machine, guess what happened next day? He missed three shots a game, and I’m being literal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a Rock Paper Scissors game, why are you surprised?

If x player playing phenomenal pool today, he can lose to an unknown 11-0 tomorrow, this keeps happening everyday.

I saw Alex not missing a single shot one day in a tournament, even the commentator said that he’s a machine, guess what happened next day? He missed three shots a game, and I’m being literal.

Because I've watched a lot of pro pool and seen lots of scores, and it is rare for a pro to lose 11-0, and even rarer for said pro to lose twice in one tournament 11-0.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because I've watched a lot of pro pool and seen lots of scores, and it is rare for a pro to lose 11-0, and even rarer for said pro to lose twice in one tournament 11-0.

I would step out on the limb and say that has never happened to a professional (not dead money) player at the US Open in the history of the tournament. It would be that rare, statistically speaking.
I don't know what John Schmidt Fargo rate is, but I would say that his rate matched up against those who he lost 11-0 to, predicted the would have won a few at least.
I could see one player going off on a smothering break and run tear, but two in a row against John S would be lightning in a bottle.
Even when Jayson Shaw beat Mika in 20 minutes at Turning Stone, Mika still got 1 rack in.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok, to me I don’t think it’s rare, the break can be the sole determinant of a battle.

Let me tell you a story that happened in the 80’s, in Nevada a Sands tournament is taking place, an exiting match was about to start, Nick Varner is going to play Grady Mathews “rip”.

Turned out the match was not very existing as nick Varner defeated Grady 11 to 0.

This isn’t the interesting part of the story, what happened the next day is that they both ended up in the loser bracket playing against each other again for a rematch, guess what’s the score of the match was? Mathews beat nick this time with the score 11 to 0.

The point is, winning or losing 11 to zero doesn’t say much in pool, you can be the greatest and lose 11 to zero, all is Rock Paper Scissors, it’s the break and he rolls which you have no control over, Even if you practice the break it doesn’t matter cause each table breaks differently, so yes it is all luck by the end of the day.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Hard to figure why you saw it that way. How does 14.1 on 5" pockets for days and days prepare you for nine ball on tough tables?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would step out on the limb and say that has never happened to a professional (not dead money) player at the US Open in the history of the tournament. It would be that rare, statistically speaking.

I don't know what John Schmidt Fargo rate is, but I would say that his rate matched up against those who he lost 11-0 to, predicted the would have won a few at least.

I could see one player going off on a smothering break and run tear, but two in a row against John S would be lightning in a bottle.

Even when Jayson Shaw beat Mika in 20 minutes at Turning Stone, Mika still got 1 rack in.

What are you talking about? It is not rare, I’m baffled with what you guys are saying, the 11 to zero happens so many times!!

As a matter of fact one year it happened even in the finals of the us open, remember the soft break of Corey versus Mika? That was a final of the us open, in fact after this tournament they created a breaking rule to ban the soft break, in this match Corey defeated Mika 11 to zero and it was a friggin final.

It is not rare whatsoever it is far from rare actually, it’s pool.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Ok, to me I don’t think it’s rare, the break can be the sole determinant of a battle.

Let me tell you a story that happened in the 80’s, in Nevada a Sands tournament is taking place, an exiting match was about to start, Nick Varner is going to play Grady Mathews “rip”.

Turned out the match was not very existing as nick Varner defeated Grady 11 to 0.

This isn’t the interesting part of the story, what happened the next day is that they both ended up in the loser bracket playing against each other again for a rematch, guess what’s the score of the match was? Mathews beat nick this time with the score 11 to 0.

The point is, winning or losing 11 to zero doesn’t say much in pool, you can be the greatest and lose 11 to zero, all is Rock Paper Scissors, it’s the break and he rolls which you have no control over, Even if you practice the break it doesn’t matter cause each table breaks differently, so yes it is all luck by the end of the day.

Grady beat Buddy Hall 11-0 once as well.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the match against lee and I was there till the end. The score really was 11-0.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Schmidt talked about this on a podcast last week: https://cueituppodcast.com/

I think he said it was the equipment and not the game that made a difference to him.

He really doesn't need to explain. He has prioritized making a high run in 14.1 and is on the verge of making history. We all respect the choice he has made and wish him well in setting the record for an exhibition run in 14.1.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you talking about? It is not rare, I’m baffled with what you guys are saying, the 11 to zero happens so many times!!

As a matter of fact one year it happened even in the finals of the us open, remember the soft break of Corey versus Mika? That was a final of the us open, in fact after this tournament they created a breaking rule to ban the soft break, in this match Corey defeated Mika 11 to zero and it was a friggin final.

It is not rare whatsoever it is far from rare actually, it’s pool.

Please show me one pro both losses in double elimination at 11-0.....
I'm not saying getting blanked is rare...but both losses in the open by an experienced pro at 11-0 is something.
You are acting like Cory defeated mika twice 11-0.
You fail to see the OPs point.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Schmidt talked about this on a podcast last week: https://cueituppodcast.com/

I think he said it was the equipment and not the game that made a difference to him.

I was there, saw the bleeding in that match I think it was table 11? and later asked em about that moment. He said his game rhythm was out of sync with 9 ball since all he'd been playing was 14.1.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there, saw the bleeding in that match I think it was table 11? and later asked em about that moment. He said his game rhythm was out of sync with 9 ball since all he'd been playing was 14.1.
He has won a US Open if he never does anything else in his life time he has that trophy on his mantel,, the mind set between the 2 games is light yrs apart , there are plenty who can catch a gear for a hour , there are few who can hold it for several hours mistake free in that ability he is in rare air

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That’s funny because I listened to that part of the podcast again - about 18 minutes in. The interviewer was saying that he had a bad time at the US Open because he had been playing 14.1, but John said no it was because he wasn’t used to the equipment, it had nothing to do with changing games. :thumbup:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
That’s funny because I listened to that part of the podcast again - about 18 minutes in. The interviewer was saying that he had a bad time at the US Open because he had been playing 14.1, but John said no it was because he wasn’t used to the equipment, it had nothing to do with changing games. :thumbup:

Just tellin' yah what he told me was all.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Please show me one pro both losses in double elimination at 11-0.....
I'm not saying getting blanked is rare...but both losses in the open by an experienced pro at 11-0 is something.
You are acting like Cory defeated mika twice 11-0.
You fail to see the OPs point.

I slept that ‘both in one tournament’ wrinkle also...thanx

D734544F-ADEA-4AFE-9A1D-166DFB9B7DE5.jpeg