Thoughts of a Slow Player

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does a slow player think about as he/she stands beside the table, staring at the ball layout? Does their thought process undergo a gradual metamorphosis from total incomprehension to something resembling a plan?
Outwardly, they move slowly, as if mesmerized by the layout.
Sometimes, they pick out one ball and look at it from various angles, as if one perspective will provide a degree of clarity lacking in other viewpoints.
Often, they form the fingers of one hand into strange shapes and place that hand on top of the rail, flopping it from one side to the other, as if in so doing the basis of a brilliant thought will emerge from the depths of their consciousness.
Then, there are those that, after a minute of silent, unmoving contemplation, will take the chalk and purposely rub it against the tip of their instrument, place it against the rail, lean over and sight along a motionless cue stick then, stand up and again stare at the balls.

I want to know: Are they thinking of anything while they stand there like some apparition that could at any moment fade away from reality?

I'm grateful of the shot clock and praise the person who first implemented that idea as a solution to the seconds, minutes and more of time devoted to statue-like concentration.

Watching grass grow or paint dry or a pool player contemplating who knows what is a mystery to me.

Please, I beg of you: Enlighten me!

Shoot safe.

John

PS - Hey! You know who you are! Please share what's going on in your head during those moments of apparent catatonia. I'm begging! NO! I'm Pleading. Please!!!:smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: JC

staypuff578

Team Ramrod
Silver Member
I would consider myself somewhat a player that you just described.

When looking at the table I'm figuring out angles, leaves, runs, how hot it is outside, the food I just ate, if I fed my dogs, and so on. Mainly I want to assure myself that my first ball hit will ensure a steady run if I play it right. The reason it takes so long to process a table layout for myself is the distraction of anything. My ADHD flares up and there I am counting the paint imperfections on the wall and trying to figure out where Jimmy Hoffa is.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I will say I am guilty of slow playing form time to time, but it only takes a minute or two at the most. Most of my friends that I play with, take damn near 5 minutes for every shot and it is unsettling and can throw my game sometimes. I will say that I am not a very good player maybe a 4 or 5 in APA so it takes me more time to calculate the angle of the shot, cue tip placement, cue ball control ect ect. Depending on the shot it might take me more time to figure out. Whether it is a shot I want to take or play a safe. Pool has so many factors to consider that until you put in the table time its just going to take more time to think about in my options.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would consider myself somewhat a player that you just described.

When looking at the table I'm figuring out angles, leaves, runs, how hot it is outside, the food I just ate, if I fed my dogs, and so on. Mainly I want to assure myself that my first ball hit will ensure a steady run if I play it right. The reason it takes so long to process a table layout for myself is the distraction of anything. My ADHD flares up and there I am counting the paint imperfections on the wall and trying to figure out where Jimmy Hoffa is.
Thanks, Staypuff!

Your comments reminds me of the question: What is written on the door of the OCD clinic?

Answer: Knock fifty times before entering.

Thanks for the chuckle, and for not taking my post seriously, seriously!

Shoot safe,

John

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say I am guilty of slow playing form time to time, but it only takes a minute or two at the most. Most of my friends that I play with, take damn near 5 minutes for every shot and it is unsettling and can throw my game sometimes. I will say that I am not a very good player maybe a 4 or 5 in APA so it takes me more time to calculate the angle of the shot, cue tip placement, cue ball control ect ect. Depending on the shot it might take me more time to figure out. Whether it is a shot I want to take or play a safe. Pool has so many factors to consider that until you put in the table time its just going to take more time to think about in my options.

There are many players that played fast even as a beginner.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider my self a slow player, I take about 20 seconds or so per ball. Don't know why, its just my rhythm I suppose. When I eventually get down I take 3 practice strokes and hit the shot so its more the thinking before the shot that slows me down. I don't know what I think about, and id like to keep it that way.

On a side note...a guy I play with makes me look like I've got a rocket up my arse. I've never met anyone that plays this slow. The thinking part isn't bad but when he gets down he takes...and I've counted...between 14 and 25 practice strokes. All are long and slow. I can see how faster players can find playing someone like me frustrating but I'm not changing for anyone :)

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does a slow player think about as he/she stands beside the table, staring at the ball layout? Does their thought process undergo a gradual metamorphosis from total incomprehension to something resembling a plan?
Sometimes, they pick out one ball and look at it from various angles, as if one perspective will provide a degree of clarity lacking in other viewpoints.
Often, they form the fingers of one hand into strange shapes and place that hand on top of the rail, flopping it from one side to the other, as if in so doing the basis of a brilliant thought will emerge from the depths of their consciousness.
Then, there are those that, after a minute of silent, unmoving contemplation, will take the chalk and purposely rub it against the tip of their instrument, place it against the rail, lean over and sight along a motionless cue stick then, stand up and again stare at the balls.

I want to know: Are they thinking of anything while they stand there like some apparition that could at any moment fade away from reality?

I'm grateful of the shot clock and praise the person who first implemented that idea as a solution to the seconds, minutes and more of time devoted to statue-like concentration.

Watching grass grow or paint dry or a pool player contemplating who knows what is a mystery to me.

Shoot safe.

John

PS - Hey! You know who you are! Please share what's going on in your head during those moments of apparent catatonia. I'm begging! NO! I'm Pleading. Please!!!:smile:

I wanna choke them and scream WTF r y think jc about so damn hard!!!!!!!'????????

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shoot safe.

John

I think I'm a slow player. Most of my time in 9 ball is spent thinking "I can't see the shot...I normally envision a ghost ball to start as a reference and I just can't make myself see it. Now I'm down on the shot and I'm looking at it but I have no sense that it is aimed in the hole. No amount of looking at it will make me feel good about it. If I get back up and go through my routine again, hopefully it will somehow look right, and I will make this shot. Damn I *really* don't want to miss this one because I shot it when I just wasn't ready, when I just can't see it right."

Now when I feel like that, I often also find myself saying "ok...it certainly seems like if I do a stop shot the cue ball will go here, which is what I want. But damn it when I get down on the ball, it looks like the cue ball is going to go there instead. Which is right. I did measure the tanget line right? So of course the ball is going to go that way. Is it too thin to hold that line? Do I actually need a touch of draw here? Shit I really can't tell. No way I'm getting down on this and firing the cue ball into the corner pocket. Ok you gotta make a decision here. Will it go very wrong if you over draw a little? " etc...

It is actually kinda frustrating for me. I don't *want* to spend my time this way. It's either that, or settle for sucking. Well screw that...I came to win. I'm actually considered an "A" player in my area. I've played for 20 years. I actually *know* the game quite well and have very good 8 ball strategy. I've done commentary on streamed matches and can usually size up the options pretty quickly. However, it is the *doubt* in my own abilities at certain times that leads to slow play. Sometimes I just don't get it, and it is a real struggle to make anything work. Sometimes the little checklist that normally takes about 3 seconds to go through takes 30 seconds. Its tough. Try to remember that you are playing a match hoping to get the other guys best game. Otherwise why play? Maybe it would be quicker if the other guy just gave up on most shots? Something to consider...

KMRUNOUT

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I am a fast player/shooter.I can understand someone that has never played before taking a long time to try to figure things out but when a (good) players labors over every shot it drives me crazy. If your playing 1 pocket or straight pool there are times things need alot of thought but when playing 9 or 10 ball you have to shoot the next ball in rotation ,I want to say to the guy WTF are you thinking about you can only shoot the x ball

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience slow players are either beginners, old, or just not good at pool. If I'm playing a slow player I sometimes like to intentionally play random safeties for no reason. If you do it enough they sometimes get frustrated and speed up a little bit.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(Not a jab at you, personally)

But as a mid level/ developing player, do you really feel the analysis is warranted, given the fact that your execution is not going to be as exact as a better player's.

I mean, say you are shooting the 3, looking at the proper angle to get on the 4 so that you can break out the clustered 5. No amount of consideration is going to minimize the importance of proper execution.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna choke them and scream WTF r y think jc about so damn hard!!!!!!!'????????

Earl played Charlie Williams at the 14.1 this week, i was enjoying Earl's face and body gesture while Charlie was thinking too much (in 14.1 game) more than the game itself,
Earl won, but i think he was happier the game ended finally!

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience slow players are either beginners, old, or just not good at pool. If I'm playing a slow player I sometimes like to intentionally play random safeties for no reason. If you do it enough they sometimes get frustrated and speed up a little bit.

Good advise, i'd watch them when they practice, if they move quick, then they are doing it on purpose..during a match

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not necessarily. Buddy Hall was known for his slow playing. I remember Buddy refusing to play in events where shot clocks were used to speed up slow play.

There have been other notoriously slow top level players over the years. Dick Lane is another known slow player. It wasn't unusual for one of his 14.1 matches to last 4 hours.

The problem with playing slow is that it totally messes up a tournament. Each match is scheduled based on a certain amount of time, and once the matches get behind, it causes a scheduling nightmare.

I remember in the World 14.1 Championships in the Roosevelt Hotel where matches had to be sent to the practice room to finish up so that the next round could start in the main room.

There is a whole list of psychological reasons why any player might play slow. While we can't be inside their heads and know exactly what's going on, we do know that they are basically stealing time from their opponents and from a tournament by doing so, unfortunately.

For example: If matches are scheduled 1 1/2 hours apart and you play against a slow player, how much of that time is occupied by your opponent at the table? That's what I mean about them stealing time from their opponent and from the tournament.

Even if you're playing with a friend in your local pool room. How much of that table time are they eating up with their slow play? Are you paying for half that time?

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
There's deliberate and then there's SLOOOOOW. But for Pete's sake get off your chair in position, with chalk, to shoot quickly.

Saw a gal in league, a UPA 4, shoot slower than a sedated tortoise mates. Part of her routine - she would go to her OB and set up to shoot it for 30 seconds before standing back up and reciting the Gettysburg address. I had to go watch another of our matches, it was UNBEARABLE.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently saw a match involving Kid D, another slow player, any how previously in the tournament a shot clock was in use. For this match there was no shot clock but it appeared Kid D didn't know or forgot. He played a at a normal pace and it sure didn't seem to effect his game. I can understand that some beginners could have a problem with what to do, but I feel that most of the time experienced players pretty much know what they are going to do when they get to the table.

I'd like to see shot clocks used when ever possible.

CaptainDidactic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow Players

A lot of it depends on the game that you are playing. Rotation games don't require as much thought as one pocket or 8 ball. The layout is pretty much self explanatory and you can either make the shot, get position, or you can't.

Eight ball on the other hand is not so easy. I was once a slow player and I am now on the faster side of deliberate. History. I started 10 years ago and was the worst player on my team. Being Highly competitive that wouldn't do. I took lessons, read countless books until I was at the point that I knew what to do, but could't always execute my plan. I'd study the table until I could see running the whole table and then shoot. If I missed, I'd sit down. If I made the ball 80 percent of the time I wouldn't get the position I'd hoped for and I would then have to restudy the whole table again to find the proper run out. When I learned safeties, this Really started frustrating my opponent.

I can easily see how frustrating this could be to a fast player. And in all honesty, I never played slow to shark my opponent. I was just trying to play my best game.

I like playing fast players in 8 ball. Although they can be shot making machines, they often lose to me by putting themselves in "one ball hell" because they didn't take the time to find solutions to the tables problems. Unfortunately, most players I play are better shot makers than I am, so the only way I can consistently win is to play smarter.