Top 10 Speed Control Tips and Drills

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 Speed Control Tips and Drills. Here it is:

The topics covered (with YouTube time-stamps) include:

1. Stun Shot Ball Speeds [0:40]
2. Stun Shot Ball-Hit Fraction [1:16]
3. Rolling CB Ball Equal Angle and Distance [2:40]
4. Straight Rolling CB Ball Travel Distance [3:08]
5. Best Tip Height [3:49]
6. Use a Shorter Backstroke for Slower Speed [4:35]
7. Finish the Stroke [5:29]
8. Plan Patterns and Position Play Smartly [6:15]
---- crossing the line [6:19]
---- minimize CB motion [7:03]
---- using sidespin to control speed [7:33]
---- use the rails as brakes [7:57]
9. Speed Consistency and Control Drills [8:49]
---- finesse speed control [9:24]
10. Position-Play Speed Control Drills [10:03]
---- BU Exam I drills [10:30]
---- VEPP target drill [11:13]
---- BU Exam II safety drill [11:30]
Closing [11:54]

Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be curious to hear if people think I left out anything important or if I misrepresented anything.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks yet again Doc.
You're welcome.

In my experience, speed control is one thing that gives the most beginner and intermediate players trouble. It doesn't do much good making a shot if you can't get shape on the next shot.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 Speed Control Tips and Drills. Here it is:

The topics covered (with YouTube time-stamps) include:

1. Stun Shot Ball Speeds [0:40]
2. Stun Shot Ball-Hit Fraction [1:16]
3. Rolling CB Ball Equal Angle and Distance [2:40]
4. Straight Rolling CB Ball Travel Distance [3:08]
5. Best Tip Height [3:49]
6. Use a Shorter Backstroke for Slower Speed [4:35]
7. Finish the Stroke [5:29]
8. Plan Patterns and Position Play Smartly [6:15]
---- crossing the line [6:19]
---- minimize CB motion [7:03]
---- using sidespin to control speed [7:33]
---- use the rails as brakes [7:57]
9. Speed Consistency and Control Drills [8:49]
---- finesse speed control [9:24]
10. Position-Play Speed Control Drills [10:03]
---- BU Exam I drills [10:30]
---- VEPP target drill [11:13]
---- BU Exam II safety drill [11:30]
Closing [11:54]

Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be curious to hear if people think I left out anything important or if I misrepresented anything.
What do you guys think about this video? Is it helpful? Did you learn anything? Do you think anything is missing? Is it too basic and only of interest to beginners?

Thanks,
Dave

Bamabox

What do you guys think about this video? Is it helpful? Did you learn anything? Do you think anything is missing? Is it too basic and only of interest to beginners?

Thanks,
Dave

I wouldn’t consider myself a beginner, but I’ve been away from the game for 50 years. So while I might have known some of this when I was 20, I found the video most helpful. I am at the point in my game now after a couple months back, that my primary focus is cue ball control. The stroke is coming back, and I can make reasonably difficult shots with some consistency. The point is don’t leave yourself difficult shots. So, thanks Dave.

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave,
I have been playing a long time and this video is very helpful. I understand the angles, I understand position routes reasonably well but I struggle with speed control. This video seems to have very helpful hints and drills. Thanks! Stephen

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t consider myself a beginner, but I’ve been away from the game for 50 years. So while I might have known some of this when I was 20, I found the video most helpful. I am at the point in my game now after a couple months back, that my primary focus is cue ball control. The stroke is coming back, and I can make reasonably difficult shots with some consistency. The point is don’t leave yourself difficult shots. So, thanks Dave.
I’m glad to hear you found it helpful.

Good luck with your game,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave,
I have been playing a long time and this video is very helpful. I understand the angles, I understand position routes reasonably well but I struggle with speed control. This video seems to have very helpful hints and drills. Thanks! Stephen
Thanks for the feedback. I think speed control limits many people. I’m glad you liked the video.

Catch you later,
Dave

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video Dave. It is kind of a compilation of several of your other videos. It's nice to have many of the speed control concepts in the same place. Good job.
Steve

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
awesome

Great job with this Dr. Dave! I can't believe I've never heard that you should hit the end rail on the lag. It makes total sense but no one ever told me and it never occurred to me. I think there is just a natural fear of rebounding too far, but coming up short is clearly a much bigger problem. Just goes to show we all have blind spots!

The rest of the video is outstanding as usual. You are correct that cue ball speed is critical to get beyond intermediate level. Many players play well when they are perfectly dialed in, but when they are off a hair things spiral out of control repeatedly and they are left facing a series of recovery shots that inevitably spells disaster.

I really like the emphasis on pattern play. When I hear people say they are struggling with speed control it's usually because of patterns. Striking the cue ball below center and sliding or drawing it off of multiple rails into a small positional zone is never going to be as consistent as rolling the cue ball several feet into a wide positional zone. There is such a depth of possibilities when it comes to finding more natural and repeatable ways to play position, but in a video about speed control you walked a perfect balance of addressing this without going down an off topic rabbit hole. Focus on bridge length, and accelerating stroke even at softer speeds, and recognition of the thickness of hit and rails involved has to be the priority. You nailed it.

Thank you again and really, really amazing job!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Great stuff again Dr. Dave.

I like the lining up 10 balls across the table and progressively hitting them harder until you get to the rail. When you can turn a drill into a challenge it makes practice fun.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video Dave. It is kind of a compilation of several of your other videos. It's nice to have many of the speed control concepts in the same place. Good job.
Steve
Thanks. This video has some stuff I haven't presented before on YouTube (VEPS has pretty much everything), but I agree that it does include some things I have covered before.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great job with this Dr. Dave! I can't believe I've never heard that you should hit the end rail on the lag. It makes total sense but no one ever told me and it never occurred to me. I think there is just a natural fear of rebounding too far, but coming up short is clearly a much bigger problem. Just goes to show we all have blind spots!

The rest of the video is outstanding as usual. You are correct that cue ball speed is critical to get beyond intermediate level. Many players play well when they are perfectly dialed in, but when they are off a hair things spiral out of control repeatedly and they are left facing a series of recovery shots that inevitably spells disaster.

I really like the emphasis on pattern play. When I hear people say they are struggling with speed control it's usually because of patterns. Striking the cue ball below center and sliding or drawing it off of multiple rails into a small positional zone is never going to be as consistent as rolling the cue ball several feet into a wide positional zone. There is such a depth of possibilities when it comes to finding more natural and repeatable ways to play position, but in a video about speed control you walked a perfect balance of addressing this without going down an off topic rabbit hole. Focus on bridge length, and accelerating stroke even at softer speeds, and recognition of the thickness of hit and rails involved has to be the priority. You nailed it.

Thank you again and really, really amazing job!
Thanks Demetrius. I appreciate your supportive comments.

I think this video might eventually become one of my most-watched videos because speed control is such an important issue for many people.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great stuff again Dr. Dave.
Thanks.

I like the lining up 10 balls across the table and progressively hitting them harder until you get to the rail. When you can turn a drill into a challenge it makes practice fun.
Agreed. Scored drills and challenges make practice more fun. Bob and I have a ton of this sort of thing in VEPP.

Regards,
Dave