Loose Grip/Tight Grip and Resulting Cueball Action

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good post Bob. FYI, I just added a quote on the light grip vs. tight grip resource page.

Regards,
Dave

The main effect on the hit of a tighter grip -- assuming you can achieve the same tip offset and stick speed at impact -- will be that the effective mass of the stick will be slightly greater. As I recall, it was about 1% for a typical grip due to the softness of the flesh of the hand, which keeps the majority of the weight of the hand from really participating in the collision.

(During the time of tip-ball contact, the hand doesn't have time to "wind up" to provide significant additional force on the cue stick. In contrast, as the tip compresses for about half a millisecond (0.0005 seconds) it is hard enough that the tip-ball force builds to around 100 pounds. That is from a compression of about 1-2 millimeters. Most of the compression of the stick is in the tip rather than in the ferrule, shaft, joint and butt, but those other parts of the cue also compress during tip-ball contact.)

So, let's suppose that by gripping really tightly you could get the hand to increase the effective weight of the cue by 3% instead of the normal 1% for a normal grip. Instead of that death grip, you could get the same result by adding 2% extra weight to the stick or about 0.4 ounces.

You could also get the same result by increasing the speed of the stick by about 1% with your normal grip, because speed is more effective than stick weight, percentage wise, for getting more spin and speed on the cue ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The main effect on the hit of a tighter grip -- assuming you can achieve the same tip offset and stick speed at impact -- will be that the effective mass of the stick will be slightly greater. As I recall, it was about 1% for a typical grip due to the softness of the flesh of the hand, which keeps the majority of the weight of the hand from really participating in the collision.

(During the time of tip-ball contact, the hand doesn't have time to "wind up" to provide significant additional force on the cue stick. In contrast, as the tip compresses for about half a millisecond (0.0005 seconds) it is hard enough that the tip-ball force builds to around 100 pounds. That is from a compression of about 1-2 millimeters. Most of the compression of the stick is in the tip rather than in the ferrule, shaft, joint and butt, but those other parts of the cue also compress during tip-ball contact.)

So, let's suppose that by gripping really tightly you could get the hand to increase the effective weight of the cue by 3% instead of the normal 1% for a normal grip. Instead of that death grip, you could get the same result by adding 2% extra weight to the stick or about 0.4 ounces.

You could also get the same result by increasing the speed of the stick by about 1% with your normal grip, because speed is more effective than stick weight, percentage wise, for getting more spin and speed on the cue ball.
Nice info, Bob - thanks! (And thanks Dave for curating it.)

So tightening your grip enough to triple your "hand mass" produces only as much effect as increasing your stroke speed 1%. I know which method I'm choosing.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
All of this is a lot to take in and process. I really appreciate the fact that so much research and writing has been taking place in such depth for so long. I am still trying to process all of the information that ya'll have provided.

All that I feel certain of at this point is that spin is a function of speed and offset from center and speed is not appreciably increased or decreased by variations in grip tension. It also seems that a loose grip with a flexible wrist lends itself to a smooth consistent stroke but a tight grip can produce a smooth consistent stroke, too. Follow through is not as important as I thought.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct about control. But the ability to control, from my prespective, is greatly enhanced by a thorough understanding of a subject. Knowledge is power.

There is all kinds of knowledge.

In this case I believe being self-aware of your personal body mechanics is the important knowledge.

You can keep all the charts and sensors.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... You can keep all the charts and sensors. ...
Well, yes, but.... In this case I think the the charts and sensors are mostly telling us to make a nice smooth stroke and not obsess about our grip. One detail from the charts that is often told to beginners is that you shouldn't stop the stroke before you get to the cue ball.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yes, but.... In this case I think the the charts and sensors are mostly telling us to make a nice smooth stroke and not obsess about our grip. One detail from the charts that is often told to beginners is that you shouldn't stop the stroke before you get to the cue ball.

I guess I must be the only one who doesn’t need a chart to know that.

But if that’s what it takes, goferit.

Lou Figueroa

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of this is a lot to take in and process. I really appreciate the fact that so much research and writing has been taking place in such depth for so long. I am still trying to process all of the information that ya'll have provided.

All that I feel certain of at this point is that spin is a function of speed and offset from center and speed is not appreciably increased or decreased by variations in grip tension. It also seems that a lose grip with a flexible wrist lends itself to a smooth consistent stroke but a tight grip can produce a a smooth consistent stroke. Follow through is not as important as I thought.

Follow through is extremely important, natural follow through on any shot where there is room to do it. A robot with a two inch stroke could play perfect pool. However, our minds anticipate what is coming next. Roughly one inch of follow through is very important and for that inch to be perfect the other part of follow through is needed.

I was talking with an instructor and shot a table length thin cut on a nine footer to show something I was talking about. I used a very exaggerated follow through, almost to the joint. That much wasn't needed, however I pocketed the ball on the first try. The instructor asked me what the exaggerated follow through did. I told him it wasn't what it did but what it kept me from doing. I had over two feet of shaft in a dead straight line to the target at the end of my stroke. To do that you just can't have much wrong with your normal stroke.

Try to accelerate through the cue ball then let your hand coast to a natural stop. You can't really accelerate through the cue ball but if you don't try to the muscles in your arm will do things you don't want them to do.

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking something and knowing something are two different things..

lol.

The experiments and hypothesis to be tested are always available to you right there on the table for you to max out.

You think something -- test it out. That's how you will eventually "know" something.

Lou Figueroa
wax on
wax off

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
lol.

The experiments and hypothesis to be tested are always available to you right there on the table for you to max out.

You think something -- test it out. That's how you will eventually "know" something.

Lou Figueroa
wax on
wax off

That method gives you anecdotal evidence...but not empirical truth ..

First you must develop a test that removes human error and confirmation bias..

Bob and Dave have been sorting the wheat from chaff in the pool world for decades.. they deserve respect for that work not derision and eye rolls..

Lots of players "Think" they know.... sometimes empirical evidence supports their theory and sometimes it doesn't..

To blow off fact based reality in favor of self confirmed theory.. is not only intellectually dishonest it is a rejection of truth in its purest form...

Best of luck with that..:thumbup:

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That method gives you anecdotal evidence...but not empirical truth ..

First you must develop a test that removes human error and confirmation bias..

Bob and Dave have been sorting the wheat from chaff in the pool world for decades.. they deserve respect for that work not derision and eye rolls..

Lots of players "Think" they know.... sometimes empirical evidence supports their theory and sometimes it doesn't..

To blow off fact based reality in favor of self confirmed theory.. is not only intellectually dishonest it is a rejection of truth in its purest form...

Best of luck with that..:thumbup:

Bull-sheet-o.

There’s nothing antedotal about what you can do or can’t do on the table. You can do it one way or you can’t. And, it does not matter one wit what the science says if doing the contrary gives you good results.

As I have often said: every player develops their own reality when it comes to playing pool. And from what I have seen over the decades is that those who are slaves to the science and perfect form are the players most often doomed to mediocrity. I see it at the pool hall all the time: those that have paid for lessons or are always watching instructional videos on their phones are usually the worst players in the room.

Lou Figueroa

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To base findings on a 100 lbs of force leaves out most of the way pool is done. Say you zone the test to med and lower speed; like slow rolling with a death grip. Now what?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To base findings on a 100 lbs of force leaves out most of the way pool is done. Say you zone the test to med and lower speed; like slow rolling with a death grip. Now what?

I think I better go over some of the physics fundamentals of pool shots.

The force from tip to ball is for a very short time so the force has to be high to get the ball moving at all. Consider a shot that would send the cue ball the length of the table in about three seconds (about 1 meter/second when struck in the center). This is a typical to low speed shot. This is somewhat slower than a lag to see who breaks.

The average force required during the millisecond of tip contact is about 38 pounds. But the force is not constant during that millisecond. It starts at zero, builds up to a peak value at peak tip compression, and then goes back to zero as the tip expands back. (It is during this expansion phase that you notice the energy loss in the tip. The tip does not push back as hard when expanding as it pushes when being compressed.)

A reasonable assumption is that the peak force from the tip is about twice the average force. For the slow shot under discussion, that peak force will be about 76 pounds. An actual lag, depending on the speed of the cloth, will have about 100 pounds of peak force.

A break shot, which will send the cue ball at 10 meters/second or 22 MPH -- a good but not shattering break -- will have a peak force of around ten times the above or close to 750 pounds. Typically break tips are harder and will have lower contact times and higher peak forces so I would not be surprised to see 1500 pounds for a top power breaker using a phenolic tip.

I suppose those numbers right there tell you how futile it is to expect your death grip to put significant extra force against the cue ball.

But why would someone want to increase the effective weight of the cue stick? A heavier stick runs into miscue problems sooner than a light one on extreme spin shots.

In any case, a death grip on a soft shot seems like an excellent way to get the wrong speed.

(If someone would like to check my arithmetic for the 38 pounds of average force:

ball mass = 6 ounces = 0.17 kg
velocity = 1 m/s
momentum = mv = .17 kg*m/s
time = 0.001 sec
force = momentum/time = (0.17kg*m/s)/0.001s = 170 newtons = 38 pounds force
)

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not concerned with the numbers on a text book stroke and certainly not table length lags. For instance you can approach the ball slow enough that the tip lands and actually pushes the ball which then decays into a few inches of travel. Just looking for zones where the the grip makes a difference in force.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I better go over some of the physics fundamentals of pool shots.

The force from tip to ball is for a very short time so the force has to be high to get the ball moving at all. Consider a shot that would send the cue ball the length of the table in about three seconds (about 1 meter/second when struck in the center). This is a typical to low speed shot. This is somewhat slower than a lag to see who breaks.

The average force required during the millisecond of tip contact is about 38 pounds. But the force is not constant during that millisecond. It starts at zero, builds up to a peak value at peak tip compression, and then goes back to zero as the tip expands back. (It is during this expansion phase that you notice the energy loss in the tip. The tip does not push back as hard when expanding as it pushes when being compressed.)

A reasonable assumption is that the peak force from the tip is about twice the average force. For the slow shot under discussion, that peak force will be about 76 pounds. An actual lag, depending on the speed of the cloth, will have about 100 pounds of peak force.

A break shot, which will send the cue ball at 10 meters/second or 22 MPH -- a good but not shattering break -- will have a peak force of around ten times the above or close to 750 pounds. Typically break tips are harder and will have lower contact times and higher peak forces so I would not be surprised to see 1500 pounds for a top power breaker using a phenolic tip.

I suppose those numbers right there tell you how futile it is to expect your death grip to put significant extra force against the cue ball.

But why would someone want to increase the effective weight of the cue stick? A heavier stick runs into miscue problems sooner than a light one on extreme spin shots.

In any case, a death grip on a soft shot seems like an excellent way to get the wrong speed.

(If someone would like to check my arithmetic for the 38 pounds of average force:

ball mass = 6 ounces = 0.17 kg
velocity = 1 m/s
momentum = mv = .17 kg*m/s
time = 0.001 sec
force = momentum/time = (0.17kg*m/s)/0.001s = 170 newtons = 38 pounds force
)
For those with math and physics backgrounds who might be interested, the detailed analysis and some example calculations can be found here:

TP B.22 – How peak tip contact force and contact patch size vary with shot speed, and drop tests

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.... Just looking for zones where the the grip makes a difference in force.
They don't exist. Good luck.

I hope the OP found the analysis interesting. It is only useful to the extent that it prevents useless searches and bizarre, idiosyncratic strokes.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't exist. Good luck.

I hope the OP found the analysis interesting. It is only useful to the extent that it prevents useless searches and bizarre, idiosyncratic strokes.

They perhaps don't exist in your publishing zone but even then you do acknowledge slight increases in force or transmission of force with firmer grips; deemed academically inconsequential but to me, the physical feedback has everything to do with feel; consistency; repeatability and that _is_ highly relevant to the performance of pool.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The information provided is greatly appreciated. Scientific method applied to pool is a novel concept to me, and I am uncertain if it has any practical application for me. I do believe, however, that everything one learns has a positive effect. So, again, thank ya'll.

I believed that there was a correlation between grip and CB reaction. Now, I am not sure. I will probably keep playing as I had before but pay more attention to what I do and what results.

We can measure force applied and resulting speed, but can we quantify spin? If so, do we know what amount of spin is required to produce a given result? Without a known or stipulated base, how do we evaluate percentages of increase or decrease?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... We can measure force applied and resulting speed, but can we quantify spin? If so, do we know what amount of spin is required to produce a given result? Without a known or stipulated base, how do we evaluate percentages of increase or decrease?
The usual way that people demonstrate different amounts of side spin is to shoot straight into a rail and see how much to the left or right the ball goes (measured in angle or diamonds).

How much follow or draw you get you can see simply by shooting a full draw or follow shot on a nearby ball.

It is usually best to stick with what happens on the table and do your measurements in diamonds.

As for whether detailed info about the physics of the situation is worth anything, I think in this case it's mostly useful to tell you what not to do. Don't fret over whether a loose or tight grip might give you more action, because in themselves they do nothing for the shot. I suggest that you should use the grip that gives you the most consistency.

Lots of players obsess about getting more spin and hope a new tip or a new shaft or a new grip or a new placement of their back foot is going to help them. Most players who get only paltry spin fail because they do not hit far enough from center.