Buying a Diamond

Mcreckling

Registered
Not sure if this is the right forum, please direct me if it is not

I am looking at purchasing a used 7ft pro am, the seller is the original owner and Diamond set it up in his basement themselves (3 piece slate).

The seller stressed that I should get somebody to move it for me due to carrying it up the stairs and not wanting to damage his walls, understandable. He also said the mechanics who set it up stressed that only Diamond refelts the table, is this true?

Basically, will Diamond move the table and refelt it for me? Or can any other mechanic do the same job?

Thanks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got nothing for ya directly, but some of my embarrassing friends will surely set you on the right path.

We have a "show us your home room" thread here in the main forum ttoo. I think they saved room for your pics, when done.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will pay for a good job ($500+), but it doesn't have to be by Diamond (no they don't come recloth your table for you). I can immediately think of two people, one in Battle Creek MI and one in Toledo OH. Contact TrentinToledo or Bossman69 here via PM, or pm me for their phone numbers. Both are top shelf mechanics. Bossman69 is also a fantastic cue repair guy, and one of the top instructors in the USA!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I am in Michigan, the table will be moved roughly 50 miles

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You will pay for a good job ($500+), but it doesn't have to be by Diamond (no they don't come recloth your table for you). I can immediately think of two people, one in Battle Creek MI and one in Toledo OH. Contact TrentinToledo or Bossman69 here via PM, or pm me for their phone numbers. Both are top shelf mechanics. Bossman69 is also a fantastic cue repair guy, and one of the top instructors in the USA!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

THANKS FOR THE SHOUT OUT SCOTT!!!

It was great playing pool with you last week!!!! I am still on my way back from my trip. Be home tomorrow and will call John O. to see about coming out that way.

Attachments

• 00a0a_6zT1mhAXsrV_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_6zT1mhAXsrV_1200x900.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 718

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
What part of Michigan?

7' table 3 piece slate? You need 1 small woman and 2 small children tops!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Used ones hold their value to much. Thus, by the time you pay for the used table, buy new felt and pay someone to move it and set it up, it's not much difference from new price.

That's why I bought new. Why go through all that hassle to save a few hundo. When I did the math, that's all that I was really saving and then I had the hassle of directing everything to get it done, and paying 2 or 3 different people, etc.

I paid one guy, the table showed up, one of the best table mechanics in the area set it up, and I was shooting pool in a few hours ;)

Now, if you are getting a FAB deal on used, then great. But, add up the prices for felt, moving, set up, table price, new balls, etc.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Used ones hold their value to much. Thus, by the time you pay for the used table, buy new felt and pay someone to move it and set it up, it's not much difference from new price.

That's why I bought new. Why go through all that hassle to save a few hundo. When I did the math, that's all that I was really saving and then I had the hassle of directing everything to get it done, and paying 2 or 3 different people, etc.

I paid one guy, the table showed up, one of the best table mechanics in the area set it up, and I was shooting pool in a few hours ;)

Now, if you are getting a FAB deal on used, then great. But, add up the prices for felt, moving, set up, table price, new balls, etc.

Talked to the OP and its a Blue-Label for $2900.00 and I am sure he will negotiate $2500 plus $$$ for movin it.

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Update!!!!!!!

Disclaimer!!!! I am not trying to pick on anyone with the content of this post.
I am posting it to show what can happen when you have someone who is not
familiar with working on Diamond Pool Tables

2013 Diamond Pro Am 7'/ Blue label.

This table has not been touched by a
table tech since it was originally installed
in 2013 by DIamond. With how many
things are wrong and missing parts,
I could not complete this install. It is
not up to Diamond standards or mine.

The top was bolted on to bare slate.
The slates were super glued aka liquid
dowel'd unevenly/ attempted to fix
with extra wax and the slates were
screwed to the top of the table.

There were ZERO levelers built into
the leaf's and the leafs that are there
are GLUED TO THE TOP OF THE DECK.
In fact the leaf's were all cut off, as in
there is no plywood overhanging the
edge of the box , like shown in the picture.
the cloth was so loose I could pinch it with
2 fingers and pick it up.

The installer also used wood shims in the
space where there would be a leveler. They
SCREWED the slate to the top of the table
because if they had not they slate would not
be connected to the base. There is also a
damaged slate (on bottom) from them trying
to screw the slates to the top of the table.
The slate is still usable though.

We moved the table to its new home and
will return to set it up the way it should be.

I know the owner was upset that we could
not move forward, but, I know he is happy
we are going to make everything right for him.
So many guys would have just set it up the way
it was and moved on: NOT OUR STYLE!!!

I am going to update after we get the
replacement parts and set it up with new
Tournament Blue 860 HR.

TFT

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• 610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-1.jpg
    610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-2.jpg
    610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-4.jpg
    610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-5.jpg
    610e1ebd5bb272a8bd054e3091870b4f73a97539-5.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 19d78ce6e3c7c353ed74039c29cfd1ee94032989-1.jpg
    19d78ce6e3c7c353ed74039c29cfd1ee94032989-1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 383

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What part of Michigan?

7' table 3 piece slate? You need 1 small woman and 2 small children tops!

No lie

I really doubt a 7 footer us going to be 3 piece slate anyway.

If you have a friend or 2 you being it home, set it up and have someone do the cloth for a couple hundred. You will learn about the table by breaking it down and moving it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To clarify, are you saying the Diamond professionally trained and employed mechanics originally set this Diamond table up with all these issues?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I spoke with Diamond and there is no record of who exactly did this install. We think it was a third party installer. No one from Diamond could do that terrible of work.

To clarify, are you saying the Diamond professionally trained and employed mechanics originally set this Diamond table up with all these issues?

Mcreckling

Registered
No lie

I really doubt a 7 footer us going to be 3 piece slate anyway.

If you have a friend or 2 you being it home, set it up and have someone do the cloth for a couple hundred. You will learn about the table by breaking it down and moving it.

Thanks for the irrelevant opinion, I'll take notes. The table needed to be broken down fully and moved up a flight of stairs around 2 bends, I have never moved a table before, so to me, was worth the extra cash to hire Trent who knew what he was doing, how to do it, and what to look for.

Trent, thank you for everything today, I appreciate your work and respect the fact that you told me what was wrong and we're unwilling to put it back together knowing it was wrong. I'm happy with the situation as is, knowing I have a great mechanic and somebody who has the decency to do it the right way. I am excited to see the rest of your work with this table. Once again, thank you. You will be compensated for accordingly.

P.S. Glad you liked the big John's steak and onion

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two more pieces of double bubble

Two more pieces of Double Bubble bubble gum should fix the table right up!

OK, maybe the pink is bondo but looking at the rest of the table sure made me think of bubble gum when I saw the pink filler.

Hu

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It was waxed and not bondo'd, not quite sure if it was even bee's wax, never seen pink beeswax. They did a great job of using the liquid dowels/paper/super glue, except that the seam was not even... ADDED MORE WAX!

I assure ya Hu, parts will be ordered and installed before this table will go back together.

This was not the outcome the OP was looking for, but, luckily no permanent damage was done to the table and we can make it right for him. Updates in the next couple of weeks.

TFT

Two more pieces of Double Bubble bubble gum should fix the table right up!

OK, maybe the pink is bondo but looking at the rest of the table sure made me think of bubble gum when I saw the pink filler.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was waxed and not bondo'd, not quite sure if it was even bee's wax, never seen pink beeswax. They did a great job of using the liquid dowels/paper/super glue, except that the seam was not even... ADDED MORE WAX! ...
Lordy.

Is there anything like a certification for table mechanics? Factory training courses?

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were the slates in 3 pieces from Diamond, or did the previous installer cut them up himself? I didn't know 7' tables cam in 3 pieces.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Bob,

There sure needs to be. I love to learn. Diamond offered me as much training
as I wanted and I have spent quite a few hours at the factory. Not sure what
other Diamond Dealers & techs have had, but, I know you have to spend your
own time and money to get the training. Diamond started me at leveling, then
building the Pro Am "box" aka cabinet, the glue down method of installing simonis
860hr( everyone has their own twist, but, as long as it is evenly stretched, tight and
no stretch shadows!!!) and of course working with my sales rep and the other sales
people & staff there.

When I pick up my table orders I make sure to spend time talking with people at
the different stations throughout the factory and picking their brains.Having direct
access to the factory is awesome.

The best way to get a Diamond trained/ Authorized Technician is to call Diamond
or ask other Diamond Dealers & Technician's who they recommend.

Anyone that I know that has a Diamond business card is able to do the work.

TFT

Lordy.

Is there anything like a certification for table mechanics? Factory training courses?

Attachments

• e725847354edcf17e19cb1689c1459c45941eab9-1.jpg
    e725847354edcf17e19cb1689c1459c45941eab9-1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 148